1. Goal Setting“A goal represents something you want to achieve in life.” (Leonard,2005, p14). When setting goals for yourself they should be Specific,Measurable, Agreed, Realistic and Time Phased, Exciting, Recorded orSMARTER. This allows goals to be accurate, achievable, assessable,interesting, motivating and target related. SMARTER goals are easier toidentify in certain situations than others, this is usually when goals areappropriate and quantifiable. (Crisfield, Houlston & Simpkin, 1996). “This approach is far more likely to provide guidance in the form of clear objectives” (Forsyth, 2009, p15).Clear objectives mean that the objectives are clarified and aren’t toovague, making them more specific and measurable. (Forsyth, 2009b).There are also other types of goals such as Outcome Goals and ProcessGoals. Outcome Goals are divided into two categories; Product andPerformance. Product goals such as finishing 1st or being selected for ateam can be useful as long term goals. Product goals are generallyaffected by the performer and other outside factors, such as othercompetitors to produce the outcome.Performance goals such as achieving a personal best or a certain timeallow the competitor to gain positive feedback from the race outcome asthey might of achieved the goal set but maybe only finished 3rd in therace, when aiming for 2nd or 1st. The outcome is directly influenced bysomeone’s performance, meaning that it is down to the individual andtheir own performance.Process goals analyse what you have to do to become successful. Processgoals are used for short term goals and improving skills. (Crisfield,Houlston & Simpkin, 1996b). “This is because process goals, unlike some outcome goals, are more directly under the performer’s control (ie you can control your own performance but not that of the opposition)” (Crisfield, Houlston & Simpkin, 1996c, p22).Goal setting can help you become; More organised, less stressed andmore motivated. (Kulas & Scopes, 2008).I have used (Leonard,2005b) tips to write my goal using simplistic words,bullet points, action plans and deadlines to complete each step by.
2. Personal Organisation and Time Management Organisation and time management have become very important to me as I haven’t always been very organised causing me to waste my time and then rush activities as I have left them until the last minute. This means that the things that have been left don’t get my full attention and engagement, which tends to end in them not being up to the standard that I am capable of. This mainly happens to my work, so I want to make sure that I am paying full attention and putting everything I am capable of into achieving the best grades possible. I want to become more organised over the next 3 months, so that it enables me to have a more professional style about my person. It will also improve my performance in tasks across both career and academic paths, such as creating a CV for a job interview or planning for an essay. To achieve this goal I aim to do the following things to help me progress towards its. Firstly I am going to purchase a diary and record all of my prioritised events, such as assignment deadlines, University timetable and work shifts. Target date: 1st December 2011 I am going to try to design a personal rota for when I do everything, for exampleDay 9-11 11-1 1-3 3-5 5-7 7 onwardsMonday Lie in Free Free Uni Free Time Socialising Time Time StudyTuesday Free Free Uni Uni Work Work Time Time Study StudyWednesday Free Sports Sport Free Uni Study Socialising Time s TimeThursday Free Uni Uni Free Work Work Time TimeFriday Lie in Uni Uni Free Free Time Socialising Study Study TimeSaturday Work Work Work Work Work SocialisingSunday Lie in Uni Uni Socialis Socialising Socialising Study Study ing
3. This will allow me to adapt my current routine and assign certain times ofthe week to do certain aspects of my life. I have 14 hours of studyoutside of University currently timetabled, which is sufficient. I believethis plan shows a good balance of work with pleasure and if I feel that Ineed to be doing more of either I have plenty of free time slots in whichto do that. I am going to clear my desk in my room and set up an area with all the equipment I will need, paper, pens, file storage(for notes and to split up each module) and a printer, so that it is a positive and easy environment to work in. Target Date 1st January 2012 Finally I am going to try and use a Priority Matrix in tandem with my timetable so that if I do become short of time, I have a proven theory and model to help me to decide on which task to complete and when to complete it. A Priority Matrix separates tasks into 4 different categories; Urgent Important, Urgent Not Important, Not Urgent Important and Not Urgent Not Important.CareerPresentation SkillsA presentation is a way of informing others in a professional environment,with the use of visual aids. They are used every day in the business worldand can have a positive effect, especially when promoting or selling aproduct. Presentations are so effective that a well produced one can “sealthe deal”, thus making them very important within business.I want to improve and become more comfortable within my presentationskills over the next 9 months, enabling me to be more effective andprofessional when I am presenting to an audience. This will allow me to
4. engage and persuade people to believe and be interested in theinformation and the views that I am giving them. I know presentationskills are essential and key within a business as companies normally pitchor present their product when trying to sell it. I struggle to be strict to ascript as I get my words mixed up when I am trying to remember manysections. Firstly I am going to use simplistic cue cards, to try and narrow down the amount of words or key phrases that I have to remember and allow myself to elaborate on key points using my prior knowledge around the subject. Next I am going to run through my presentation multiple times to familiarise myself with the content and order of the presentation, to hopefully minimise mistakes. Lastly I am going to videotape myself to see if my body posture, appearance and voice are appropriate and effective. This will also show my confidence levels, which in effect will hopefully show my comfortability about the situation. (Bradbury, 2010)AcademicWriting skills are very key to an academic. Being able to write an effectiveand inspiring essay is very hard to achieve. According to (Collins, 2004)many essays and writers contain circumlocution, which is basically usingtoo many words to explain or describe something. This results in wordwasting and sounding less intellectual as the reader has to prolong theirreading to gain the same information.Writing SkillsI believe that my writing style and layout needs improving.I say thisthrough past experiences from GCSE’s through to feedback from myessays at University. From this feedback I get the feeling that I order myessays wrong and that I sometimes confuse the reader by not explainingenough detail. This usually happens when I am talking about a subjectthat I am really comfortable and knowledgeable about. I tend to takesome details for granted, I think this is because I believe them to besimplistic and expect the reader to know them. Obviously this isn’t alwaysthe case, so I believe I need to go into in depth details when explainingany topic to make sure I give the reader all the information possible.
5. There are a few steps I want to take to improve this skill. Firstly I want to increase my vocabulary. When I am writing an essay I keep wanting to use the same words. I am going to use a thesaurus to vary the words I use but still keeping the same meaning and effect. Secondly to try and improve the layout of my essays I am going to make bullet points of all the information that is needed within the essay. Once I have successfully done this I am going to analyse the bullet points and order them, hopefully allowing the reader to follow what I am saying and gain the most amount of information possible. (Collins, 2009) Lastly I am going to seek advice or methods via my tutors and literature. This way I can gain information from experienced and proven sources. My tutors will hopefully inform me on what they are looking for when they are examining essays, hopefully giving me a few ideas and tips to improve my writing style. By reading and studying literature I might also come across theories and tips to improve, this is a great source as an intellectual has spent many hours studying and researching for this information.Bibliography Leonard, E. (2005) Study Skills Simplified, Pearson Education Inc, United States. Crisfield, P., Houlston, D., Simpkin, A. (1996) Coaching Sessions: A guide to planning and goal-setting. Coachwise Ltd, Leeds. Stevens, N. (2005) Learn to coach, How To Books Ltd, Oxford. Internet source: http://www.google.co.uk/url?source=imglanding&ct=img&q=http:// www.rainmakerlawyer.com/images/uploads/Priority_Matrix_thumb.j pg&sa=X&ei=_-_UTuvHGMWWOuO- pVY&ved=0CAsQ8wc4IA&usg=AFQjCNERfb5v-mjzv2lZH- g5hxGVPbkVMA Bradbury, A. (2010) Successful Presentation Skills: 4th Edition. Kogan Page, London. Collins (2004) Good Writing Skills. Harper Collins Publishers, Glasgow. Collins (2009) Improve Your Writing Skills. Harper Collins Publishers, Glasgow. (Kulas & Scopes, 2008). S4L
6. Forsyth, P. (2009) 100 great time management ideas. MarshallCavendish Business, Singapore and London.