Factors That Influence Climate On A Global Scale Slideshare

6,791 views
6,456 views

Published on

A test comparing a Slideshare and a Slideboom Presentation.

Published in: Technology, Business
0 Comments
6 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

No Downloads
Views
Total views
6,791
On SlideShare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
949
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
214
Comments
0
Likes
6
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

Factors That Influence Climate On A Global Scale Slideshare

  1. 1. Factors which influence climate on a global scale Higher Geography Atmosphere
  2. 2. Introduction <ul><li>The Earth receives heat energy (radiation) from the Sun. But not all of the radiation that arrives at the edge of the atmosphere gets to the Earths surface. </li></ul><ul><li>Also, not all latitudes on the surface receive the same amount of radiation (sunlight). </li></ul>
  3. 3. The global heat budget <ul><li>The global heat budget is an atmospheric system which involves inputs, storage and outputs. </li></ul><ul><li>Generally speaking, incoming solar radiation is balanced by outgoing terrestrial (Earth based) radiation. </li></ul><ul><li>The balance between incoming and outgoing radiation is known as the global heat budget . </li></ul>
  4. 4. Inputs <ul><li>The earth receives all of its incoming radiation from the sun (solar energy). </li></ul>100%
  5. 5. The global heat budget Atmosphere 23% absorbed by atmosphere 46% absorbed by the surface 17% reflected by clouds 8% reflected by atmospheric gases and dust 6% reflected by surface 100% Solar Energy (short wave)
  6. 6. Earths Albedo <ul><li>The earths albedo is the reflectiveness of the surface. </li></ul><ul><li>In our diagram this was responsible for 31% of the radiation loss. </li></ul><ul><li>Radiation reflected by clouds ( 17% ) + radiation reflected by atmospheric gases and dust ( 8% ) + radiation reflected by the surface ( 6% ) </li></ul><ul><li>= 31% (total albedo). </li></ul>
  7. 7. Outputs <ul><li>Balancing the input is an equal output of heat (terrestrial radiation) from the Earth. </li></ul><ul><li>6% of this energy is radiated back into space. The remaining 94% is absorbed by water vapour and carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and re-radiated. </li></ul>Carbon dioxide and water vapour are both examples of greenhouse gases
  8. 8. The greenhouse effect <ul><li>Eventually all radiation returns to space but the atmosphere’s greenhouse effect slows things down. </li></ul><ul><li>The greenhouse effect acts like a huge blanket, limiting the heat energy lost. </li></ul>Without the greenhouse effect the global temperature would be 33 °C lower.
  9. 9. Energy Receipt with Latitude Factors which influence climate on a global scale
  10. 10. Insolation <ul><li>Insolation is the suns (solar) radiation which is received by the Earth’s surface. </li></ul>
  11. 11. Tropical latitudes receive more solar radiation than the polar latitudes for 3 main reasons. In Polar regions the radiation has to penetrate a greater depth of atmosphere (absorbs more heat). The same amount of solar energy is received over a much greater area in Polar regions (less heating). High energy loss at poles because of ice cap albedo. Equator (0 º) North Pole South Pole
  12. 12. Albedo Effect <ul><li>The amount of energy actually absorbed by the surface depends on the Albedo effect . This is the proportion of radiation which is reflected by different surfaces. </li></ul>Water – High reflection Forest – Low reflection Ice and snow – High reflection
  13. 13. Albedo of various surfaces 5 - 10 Forest 15 - 25 Dry Soil 25 - 30 Grass 20 - 30 Sand (Beach or Desert) 50 - 60 Old Snow 80 - 85 Fresh Snow % Reflected Surface
  14. 14. What does this mean? 90 ºN 60 ºN 30 ºN Equator 0 º 30 ºS 60 ºS 90 ºS 0 100 200 300 Insolation (Joules) Latitude 35 ºN 35 ºS Terrestrial Radiation Insolation There is a net gain (surplus) of energy in Tropical areas because incoming radiation exceeds outgoing radiation. However in polar areas there is a net loss (deficit) of energy because outgoing radiation is greater that incoming radiation.
  15. 15. In theory! <ul><li>Theoretically, an imbalance in energy receipt should result in the Tropics becoming hotter and the Poles becoming even colder. </li></ul>
  16. 16. 90 ºN 60 ºN 30 ºN Equator 0 º 30 ºS 60 ºS 90 ºS 0 100 200 300 Insolation (Joules) Latitude 35 ºN 35 ºS Energy Surplus Energy Deficit Energy Deficit However, energy is transferred from areas of surplus (Tropics) to areas of deficit (Poles) by atmospheric circulation and by ocean currents.

×