RECIPES / TYPICAL FOOD AND DRINKS IN SAN ANDRES ISLAND
• Jhonny cakes with cheese, fried
sport and an Herbal Tea (meant
tea, weil baslie).
fish, crab, snail
or rondon. Rice
bread fruit with
water, Lima water
Just tea or bread fruit pariage
Jhonny cakes or green plantil with
EGGS (The White part of the eggs)
A CAN OF PINE APPLE IN SLICES
A CAN OF CHERRIES
• MIX EGGS, THE FLOUR, SUGAR, PANELA, AND THE
WATER OF THE CHERRIES.
• IN A CAKE PAN, PUT THE BUTTER INSIDE THE PAN
AND THEN PUT THE FOIL PAPER.
• ADD THE CHERRIES AND PINE APPLES IN THE BOTTOM
OF THE POT AND THEN THE MIXTURE.
• TAKE THE CAKE PAN INSIDE THE OVEN FOR 30
MINUTES. WHEN THE CAKE IS READY, TAKE IT OUT
AND TURN IT OVER; USE A BIG DISH.
traditional Caribbean dish. The
name is the Patois pronunciation
of “run down”.
• Rondón is a rich fish and, corn meat with
yucca or casaba, yam, batata, bread
dumplings, slowly cooked in coconut milk.
• It's a delicious dish, very popular in the
Caribbean. The recipe varies depending on
down', it means, whatever the fisherman
brings that day. Half the fun is gathering
• Rondón can be made in the kitchen or even
better outside (on the beach) just make a
fire with a nice bed of coals and cook the
soup in a big kettle or pot resting on
powder, sugar, and salt – in a large mixing bowl
using a large fork. Work in the butter with your
• Add about 1 cup of water by stirring it in with a
fork and a little more water, about ¼ cup at a
• Keep stirring until the mixture forms a soft
dough. Sprinkle flour on the counter and transfer
the dough. Knead for a few minutes to allow the
ingredients to blend and gluten to form.
• Add a few sprinkles of flour at a time to keep the
dough from becoming too tacky or sticky. If you
under knead the gluten will not have a chance to
form a good dough.
If you over knead the dough
will be rubbery. Allow the dough to rest for 30
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.