July 25, Teening Up for Success Conference in NE Ohio Aug or Sept date TBA, OHIO YAB Officer Boot Camp Oct. 17, Connecting the Dots and Ohio Reach Conference Nov. 15, NE SW Ohio Thanksgiving in Cleveland Nov. 15, SW Ohio Thanksgiving in Cincinnati Nov. 23, Central Ohio Thanksgiving in Columbus
2014 july oyab meeting
Ohio Youth Advisory Board
Thursday, July 17, 2014
at Quest Business Center:
8405 Pulsar Place, Columbus OH 43240
OHIO YAB Meeting Agenda
• Facilitated by Adrian McLemore, founding member and first
President of the OHIO YAB
• OHIO YAB Graduate Hall of Fame
• Ohio Reach website framework
Updates and Opportunities
• Reporting out on DC
• Recent and upcoming Youth Conferences
• Updates from County/Regional YABs and individual members
Officer Boot Camp
2014 Focus Areas:
• Outreach and Policy
• Transitional Housing
• Youth Voice in Court
• Independent Living
2014 October Elections
Officer Positions available:
• All six Officer positions
are open this year
• Youth who are interested
in serving in as an officer
give a speech
• Decisions are made via
• Only YOUTH vote
Duties of the President
• Leadership skills.
• Knows what work has to be done
and when to delegate it.
• An impartial judge of the abilities
of others and able to determine
where they can make the best
• Keeps informed of member’s
progress and sees that the board is
always moving forward.
• Presides over meetings, making
sure that they begin and end on
time and that they follow the
order of business.
• Never interjects personal opinions
nor dominates the meeting
Duties of the Vice President
• Presides at meetings and
other functions in the
absence of the president.
• Must be well informed of the
issues and skilled in handling
the board’s business.
• Must be prepared to assume
the office of President when
• Is responsible for a year-end
report on the board’s
Duties of the Media
• Gathers news about the board and
gets it out to the public.
• Establishes contact between the
local news media and newspapers.
• After getting details about a meeting
or program prepares news releases
and distributes them to newspapers
and radio and television stations.
• Includes the “who, what, when,
where, why and how” – a
description of the activity and how it
affects the community.
• Administers and monitors all
electronic communication including,
but not limited to, email, Facebook
and the OHIO YAB Website and Blog.
Duties of the Secretary
• Keeps all board records
for continuous reference
to all that has happened.
• Maintains a complete list
of members and contacts.
• Reads over previous board
Duties of the Parliamentarian
The Referee of Youth Advocacy:
• Ensures that meetings follow
the correct parliamentary
procedure, allowing ample but
not excessive time for
• Brings issues to a satisfactory
conclusion when sensing a
discussion is dragging or being
Duties of the Treasurer
• Keeps record of all board
• Sends out membership
• Assists in developing the
annual budget for the board.
• Pays all approved bills.
• Maintains accurate records of
income and expenses.
• At the beginning of the year,
have an official treasurer’s
book and the complete
records of the outgoing
• Makes a complete inventory
of board equipment, books
and other materials.
• Assists with other tasks as
assigned by the president.
• Next Friday, July 25: Teening Up for Success conference in NE Ohio
– Saturday in August (9 or 23), OHIO YAB Officer Boot Camp
– Friday, Oct. 17, Fostering Pathways to Success conference
– Sat., Nov. 15, NE Ohio Thanksgiving in Cleveland
– Sat., Nov. 15, SW Ohio Thanksgiving in Cincinnati
– Sat., Nov. 23, Central Ohio Thanksgiving in Columbus
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.