1. 25 Million WordPress Downloads2. Used by top brands like: Ebay, Yahoo!, Ford, Sony, & more.3. WordPress.com vs Self Hosted4. Admin Control Panel5. Changing Themes & Adding Content6. Adding Plugins
WordPress.com Self Hosted1. (Not for Advanced 1. GoDaddy Wordpress) 2. BlueHost – Cpanel2. FREE to start 3. Synthesis by Genesis3. Limited Control
A WordPress framework reduces the need to write repetitivecode, provides a solid foundation for child themes, (and in somecases) prevents security issues.However, frameworks are not required.1. Standard Themes – themeforest.net, etc.2. Genesis Framework by Studio Press3. Custom Themes – Developer Network
1. Google XML Sitemaps2. Google Analytics3. All in One SEO Pack4. WordPress Meta Robots5. 404 SEO Plugin6. Redirections7. Custom Permalinks
There are many more, but here are themost widely used:1. Contact Form 72. NextGEN Gallery3. WP PageNavi4. The Events Calendar5. Custom Menus6. WP Super Cache – very advanced
IMPORTANT!Prevent malware & spam by following these tips below:1. FTP Password: (14 characters, w/ #’s, upper & lower case)2. Database Password: (14 characters, w/ #’s, upper & lower case)3. Add KEYS and SALT to wp-config.php4. Move wp-config.php up one folder level5. Keep Wordpress Updated6. WP User Passwords: (10 characters, w/ #’s, upper & lower case)7. Install WP File Monitor (monitors all file changes)8. Secure Wordpress (eliminates known vulnerabilities)9. Login Lockdown (limits login tries on admin page)10. Always backup your database, wordpress files, & widgets
SEO Checklist1. Create a Google Account2. Setup Google Analytics3. Setup Google Webmaster Tools4. Research Keywords5. Setup SEO Plugins: All in one SEO
1. Use your blog for education and thought leadership2. Be honest, forthcoming, and natural3. Stay focused on your topics & website theme4. Create fresh content monthly. (post at least 1 new article per month, or more!) Tip: use the scheduler to automate the process.5. Include relevant links: 1. interior pages of your site 2. outside website sources6. Use title tags, keywords, and descriptions for all your posts.
Written Exercise 1If this were a service page about bus tours in New York City, whatwould you enter into the SEO plugin?Hint: research keywords in Google then fill in the information.https://adwords.google.com/keywordtool
Written Exercise 2It’s time to write a new blog article. You want to write about bustour safety and give bullet point tips to potential clients. Write abrief paragraph with bullet points and use the following checklist:1) Create a compelling blog title2) Write a brief description for SEO3) Find 1 keyword to focus on. https://adwords.google.com/keywordtool4) Write a brief paragraph about tour safety (blogs should always use original content, but grabbing a paragraph from Google is fine for this exercise)5) Provide 2 internal links to “your” website (hypothetically)6) Provide 1 external link (for authority and relevance)
1) Create a Google Account1. Go to google.com2. Click Sign In3. Click “Sign up for a new Google Account”4. Follow steps
2) Setup Google Analytics1. Go to google.com/analytics2. Click Access Analytics3. Enter Google login4. New users will click “Sign Up”5. Follow the setup steps6. Copy your analytics code Looks similar to this UA-12345678- 17. Past code into Google Analytics Plugin on Wordpress
3) Setup Google Webmaster1. Go to https://www.google.com/webmas ters/2. Sign in to Webmaster Tools3. Click “Add a site”4. Verify site
4) Research Keywords1. Go to https://adwords.google.com/k eywordtool2. If you’re signed in you won’t have to enter the captcha each time.3. Start researching based on your website or company theme.Tip: Each page/post on your siteshould focus on one mainkeyword.