An Introduction for Newcomers Settling in OntarioFunded by / Financé par
Orientation to Ontario (O2O) is a joint Federal and Provincial initiative designed to expedite and facilitate the settlement of newcomers to Ontario and to help them make better informed choices. The project is funded by Citizenship and Immigration (CIC) Canada and the Ontario Ministry of Citizenship and Immigration (MCI) and implemented by COSTI, through collaboration with Collège Boréal, OCASI and George Brown College. Funded by / Financé parFunded by / Financé par
Project Overview 1. Project Development Plan 2. Project Features 3. Project Description and Goals 4. Next StepsFunded by / Financé par
1. Project Development Plan PHASE 1 PHASE 2 PHASE 3 Curriculum Program Design Province-Wide Development and Pilot Testing Implementation 2009 - 2011 2012 - 2013 2013 and onwards (to be determined based on evaluation results)Funded by / Financé par
2. Project Features • Consistent and accurate information for recent newcomers and pre-arrivals • A holistic approach to the settlement process with a focus on clients’ needs through various delivery modes • Provide orientation and material support for workshop deliveryFunded by / Financé par
2. Project Features • Local customization and creation of a personalized settlement plan • Springboard to a wider network of programs and services • All materials developed in English and French • Workbooks also available in 11 other languages • 1- 800 Phone Line available for any inquiriesFunded by / Financé par
3. Project Description and Goals • To develop a standardized set of Orientation to Ontario tools to help support newcomers as they navigate resources and information in their community Workbook Workshop Website • To develop materials and products that can be customized to local community need • To provide supports and materials to agencies that are delivering settlement information and workshopsFunded by / Financé par
3. Project Description and Goals Workbook • Clients will be able to organize their settlement information in one place • The workbook will enable settlement agencies to add local community informationFunded by / Financé par
3. Project Description and Goals Workbook Six key topics will be covered: 1. Getting to Know Ontario 2. Finding Newcomer Support and Services 3. Settling in Your New Region 4. Education and Training 5. Working and Business 6. Banking and Personal FinancesFunded by / Financé par
3. Project Description and Goals • 10-12 hours long • Flexible – can be delivered in one intensive 1.5 day session, or 3-4 shorter Workshop sessions • Broad overview of the settlement process • Referrals can be made to other workshops or to settlement counsellors for participants who are interested in exploring other topics • Supported by a Facilitator Manual with a detailed agenda (including cultural notes) plus an overview of the workshop activitiesFunded by / Financé par
3. Project Description and Goals • Hosted by OCASI through Settlement.Org • Creation of a user/login functionality for offline Website workshop participants and facilitators • Online registration for workshops • A discussion forum for clients to post their questions • English and French Domains: www.orientationontario.ca www.lontarioncestchezmoi.caFunded by / Financé par
3. Project Description and Goals LANGUAGES • Arabic • Chinese • The workbooks have been translated • Farsi into 11 languages • Gujarati • Hindi • The PDF version of the translated • Punjabi workbooks will be accessible on the • Russian O2O website • Spanish • Limited print copies of the • Tagalog workbooks will be distributed through • Tamil independent venues • UrduFunded by / Financé par
4. Next Steps • Pilot test the three tools: Workbook Workshop Website • Formal evaluation throughout the pilot phase by PinPoint Research Consulting Services • Modify and update all resources based on client and sector feedbackFunded by / Financé par
Presenters: Rahila Mushtaq Guy Lucas Orientation to Ontario Business Manager Project Manager Collège Boréal COSTI Immigrant Services For further information, please contact the Orientation to Ontario (O2O) team: Rahila Mushtaq Masha Hall Maria Delgado Project Manager Project Coordinator (English) Project Coordinator (French) email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com Funded by / Financé parFunded by / Financé par
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.