1. Facebook Marketing
For Your Business or Organization
Technology and Media Specialist
2. Thank you to our sponsor:
3. Why Facebook marketing?
value the word of mouth
opinion of family and
5. Why Facebook Marketing?
build relationships with customers
6. Why Facebook Marketing?
1.23 Billion Active Users – the most
used social network
theguardian.com – Feb 2014
7. Why Facebook Marketing?
8. Why Facebook Marketing?
• Tips for Creating Your Page
• Methods for Obtaining Followers
• Expanding Your Reach
• Tracking Your Progress
10. Tips For Creating
11. Recent Changes
• Thumbnail tabs moved to the left side
• All posts in one column
• Business information on the left side
12. Customize Your Page URL
Edit page  Edit Settings  Page Info
13. Page Info
• Include website link
• Include name, address and phone number
• Select a category consistent with other on-
14. Profile Picture
Make it bold, recognizable, and simple
Keep it consistent – don’t change frequently
15. Cover Photo
Find a unique image that accurately represents
Go ahead and change it often!
16. Obtaining A Following
17. Run A Promotion
• Exclusive Coupons
• Like to Enter to win
18. Use Your Email Signature
Here it is!
19. Link on Your Website
21. Be Social
Make it a two way conversation
Comment and like on other business
22. Beware of Third Party “Likes”
Don’t purchase “likes” from sites outside of
23. Post Great Content
What’s relevant today?
(St. Patty’s Day)
What’s relevant to your followers?
What do your followers expect?
(something about your brand)
24. Be Awesome
“People will like you if
you have a great business”
25. Obtain a Following
• Run a promotion
• Use your email Signature
• Post great content
• Link on your website
• Be Social
• Have a great business
• Ask people
26. News Feed
27. News Feed
28. News Feed Formula
• Time – How long since the post
• Affinity – Amount of interaction with
the fan page or user
• Weight for post type (Text, Images, etc...)
• Post Quality
29. News Feed Changes
44% - 88% Less reach with recent changes
• Business Insider, Feb 2014
Facebook does not want the news feed
cluttered with ads
30. • Organic Reach – The number of people
who saw your post in News Feed or on
• Paid Reach – The number of unique
people who saw your post through an ad
31. Content Distribution
32. Engagement Drives Content To More People
33. What is Engagement?
Anything that indicates that a user is
interested in a post
– Clicking on the comments to see more
– Clicking on “See More”
– Clicking on a picture to make it bigger
34. Content With Low
35. Content With High Engagement
36. Expanding Your Reach
37. Target Specific Followers
Add Targeting by Gender, Location, Age, etc…
Click here to add targeting!
38. Target Followers
39. Target Followers
40. Target Followers
• Relationship Status
• Educational Status
• Interested in
41. Figure Out the Best Times to Post
See Insights  Posts  When Your Fans Are Online
42. Schedule Your Posts
Click here to schedule a post!
43. Use Clear Calls To Action
• Find out more by following the link…
• Read this article if you…
• Watch this video if you…
• “Like” this post if…
• “Share” this with someone you know that…
• Sign up for our…
• What do you think of…?
• How do you…?
Give people a reason to engage with your content
• Build relationships with other businesses
or pages by tagging them
• They will be notified and may share, like or
comment on your post
• Type the @ symbol before you type the
name of the business
45. Tag Them When You Can
46. Add Your Own Pictures to Posts
• Let your users know that they can get
notifications when you post!
• Click the arrow in the upper right of one of
your posts  get notifications
• They will now be notified when you post!
48. Add A Little Creativity
49. Hash tagging
• Create or participate in social media trends
• Just type the # symbol before the word or phrase
you want to hashtag
• Hashtags are all one word and they can be
clicked on to see the other posts about this topic
50. Post Often...
• To build up your affinity score with users
• Minimize the time factor in the News
• Only post when you have something relevant
content, valuable or engaging to share
51. What is the most annoying things brands do
on social media?
Fastcompany.com – March 2014
52. Meet the Expectations of
There is a reason
that they like you!
53. What is your brand identity?
54. Do you have the best
55. Do you have the best quality?
56. Are you transformational?
57. Are you
58. Expanding Your Reach
• Target specific followers where applicable
• Schedule your posts for the best times
• Use clear calls to action
• Post pictures
• Post often
• Meet the expectations of your followers
59. Facebook Ads
61. Sidebar Ads
62. Native Advertising
63. Page Likes
64. Track Your Progress
65. Facebook Insights
66. Set Goals For Each Post
What are you trying to accomplish?
• Web Traffic?
• Promoting an Event/Sale?
• Direct Sales