Pyramids Houses of
WHICH CITY/TOWN/VILLAGE IS IT?
WHERE IS IT?
WHAT IS THERE TO SEE AND DO?
WHAT IS THE CITY LIKE?
IT’S FAMOUS FOR…
WHY IS IT MEANINGFUL TO YOU?
HOW ARE THE PEOPLE?
WHAT’S THE WEATHER LIKE?
HOW IS THE FOOD?
It offers… It’s well known for…
• The views are … It’s possible to…
• You shouldn’t miss … It’s got...
• The atmosphere is … You can see…
• It’s located in … It’s close to…
• It’s far away from …
• What I don’t like about it is …
• The good thing about this place is …
• A popular tourist attraction is …
• It’s popular with tourists because…
BY THE SEA
ON THE COAST
IN THE COUNTRY
IN THE NORTH/SOUTH/WEST /EAST OF
ON THE RIVER (NAME)
IN A VALLEY
ON A PLAIN
IN THE MOUNTAINS
NEAR A FOREST/DESERT
• PEACEFUL/QUIET: not busy, calm, free from activities
• ANCIENT: with a long history
• BEAUTIFUL: very pleasing on the eye
• CHARMING/PICTURESQUE: nice, very pleasant in a unique way
• COSMOPOLITAN: with a varied mix of cultures and languages
• BORING: dull, uninteresting
• BUSTLING: a crowded, busy place
• COMPACT: not very big, within a small area
• NOISY: full of noise, busy
• UNSPOILT: having an unaltered character, pure, immaculate
• STUNNING: very attractive, impressive, astonishing
• LIVELY: with lots of things going on
• FASCINATING: very interesting
• HUGE: very big, enormous
• POLLUTED: dirty, contaminated
• TOURISTIC/TOURISTY: visited by lots of tourists
• EXCITING: thrilling, with lots of enjoyable things to do
• POPULAR: liked by a lot of people
• CROWDED: very full of people
• CONTEMPORARY: modern, very up to date
• EXPENSIVE: costing a lot of money
• HOSPITABLE: welcoming to guests or strangers
• HISTORIC: with a lot of ancient buildings
• LOTS OF NIGHTLIFE
• SPECTACULAR VIEWS
• GOOD SHOPS/TRANSPORT
• GO SIGHTSEEING/SHOPPING/HIKING
• VISIT MUSEUMS/ART GALLERIES
• TAKE LOTS OF PHOTOS
• GO TO CONCERTS/THE THEATRE/EXHIBITIONS
• DO BUSINESS
• PRACTISE A SPORT: horse-riding, windsurfing, paragliding, cycling, mountain biking,
• MEET PEOPLE
• RELAX ON THE WONDERFUL BEACHES
• WANDER ROUND THE TOWN/SHOPS
• GO FOR A BOAT RIDE ON THE LAKE/RIVER
• GET ON THE TOURIST BUS
AREAS IN TOWN
Downtown: the central or lower part of a city, esp the
main commercial area
Outskirts: bordering areas or districts of a city
Suburbs: a residential district situated on the
outskirts of a city or town
Industrial zone: an area for the purpose of industrial
Residential area: suitable for residence
SHOPPING CENTRE DEPARTMENT STORE
SWIMMING POOL SUPERMARKET
SPORTS CENTRE HOTEL/MOTEL/INN/HOSTEL
MUSEUM ART GALLERY
PLACES IN TOWN
PIER: EMBARCADERO, MUELLE
PORT: PUERTO PARA BARCOS
SOME LINKS ON THE WEB
Places and buildings
http://www.lingolex.com/shopsen.htm Shops and
ary_1.html Places to visit: easy vocabulary
and-metropolitan-areas.htm Cities: parts of a city, life
in cities, history of cities, etc
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.