1. Managing knowledge we don t wantEmotion in Organisations Sydney 21 June 2011 @annetteclancy www.inter-actions.biz
2. emotion at work assumptions?
3. ..the more bureaucracy is dehumanized themore completely it succeeds in eliminatingfrom ofﬁcial business love, hatred and allpurely personal, irrational and emotionalelements which escape calculation. This is thespeciﬁc nature of bureaucracy and it isappraised as its special value Max Weber, 1946
4. Leave at the door Personal Text Unpredictable Out of control Irrational ‘managed’
5. Emotion engineering
6. Smile industries Control of employees’ emotion for commercial gain Emotional Labour ‘Inside-out’ smile ‘Fake it till you make it’ Emotional labourers
9. What might happen if? Leaders felt empowered to express emotion? We suspended moral judgement? Orgs were real not idealised? Relationship management was everybody’s business? We viewed emotion as a source of systemic intelligence?
10. References FINEMAN, S. 2006. On Being Positive: Concerns and Counterpoints. Academy of ManagementReview, 31, 270-291. WEBER, M. 1946. From Max Weber: Essays in Sociology, New York, Oxford University Press.