How to Create a Facebook Profile
1. Create a Facebook Profile
a. Go to www.facebook.com and follow their step-by-step instructions for starting a
profile. This will allow you to set up your networking capabilities by adding the schools
you attended and the places you have worked. If you sign up on Facebook with your
school e-mail address you will be added to
b. Adjust security settings to your preference. (Remember, if you are wanting to keep it
professional, adjust the security settings by clicking Settings and Privacy Settings.)
c. Adjust your Profile Privacy & Search Privacy by allowing only your friends (the friends
you accept) to be able to see your profile via search applications or profile views. This
means that only the people you chose to will be able to see your profile. This will keep
a level of professionalism between you and your students if you desire to do so.
d. Find friends, upload pictures, browse applications and become familiar with the site.
Most of your familiarity will come simply by spending time (if you have any) seeing
what this website can do!
How to Create a Facebook Page
1. Go to http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/advertising/?pages and click on Create Page
(Make sure you are logged into Facebook).
2. Click on the pull-down menu Local and choose Education. Enter the name of your page in
“Name of Education.” (Be sure to remember that it is hard to rename the pages, so make sure
you enter correctly.) When finished Click Create Page at the bottom of the site.
3. Your page has been created! Now all you have to do is personalize it! Start by uploading a
picture! Click on Change Picture and Upload a Picture.
4. After you have uploaded a picture, you will want to edit the page’s information. Click on Edit
5. Insert your program’s basic information, such as address, hours, and phone number.
6. Edit your detailed information such as you website or parking lot. Make sure you are saving
your changes as you go!
7. You can add photos by clicking on the Photos tab, and then on Create a Photo Album. Create
an album name, Location & Description. Click Create Album.
Facebook may ask you to download a picture uploading Java software or application. This is the
easiest way to upload pictures, and I strongly encourage it.
Navigate through your computer hard drive to find the pictures you want to upload and click on the
You can click select all to upload all the pictures, or you can click the little checkmark in the
corner of the individual pictures to upload them selectively.
After you have decided what pictures to upload, click upload.
8. After the pictures upload, a window should pop up that says “Upload Successful!” Now you
can edit the photos, tag your students (only if you are friends with them on Facebook), insert
captions, and organize the photos. When you are through with this process, click save changes
at the bottom. You may notice that it says “Publish Now” at the top. This feature allows you to
let everyone who is a fan of your site know that you have added pictures. Facebook will place a
short notice on your fans’ home page notifying them of your update. You can choose to
Publish Now or skip that step, but make sure you click save changes at the bottom of the page.
9. You can also Create an Event that will allow you to notify your fans of upcoming events. Click
on Create Event on the left side of the page. Insert all the pertinent information for your event
in the available spaces. When finished, click Create Event at the bottom of the page. This will
take you to step 2 which will allow you to upload a picture for the event and edit invitation
information. Make sure you click save at the bottom of the page. You can invite friends or just
Finish & View.
10. You are going to have to Publish this page to make it public. This will allow non Facebook
users be able to access it through a search engine, and will allow all Facebook users be able to
find it through Facebook. To publish the page, click “publish this page” at the top of you page.
11. You can suggest this page to your Facebook friends by clicking on “Suggest to Friends” under
the page picture.
To get your students to become a fan of this page, I would copy the URL at the top of the page and
give it to your students. I would also give them a step-by-step instruction on how to find your page
from their profile. I have found that most students are more experienced in Facebook and all
technologies than we are, so they often figure it out pretty easily.
These pages will allow you to better connect with you students while keeping a professional
distance from them. TRiO Programs should utilize these technologies to serve their students and to
build a sense of community within their group.
How to Create Facebook Groups
1. On your Facebook Home Page, you can create a group by clicking on the group icon at the
bottom of the page. You can then click on Create New Group.
2. Fill in the required boxes. In the second box, it will ask you if you want the group to be Global
or just for your network. The only reason you would want to use your network instead of
Global is if you were SSS or McNair and all of your students were from your institution. Finish
by clicking Create Group.
3. You can now customize your group by uploading a picture, and editing your group
preferences. At the bottom of the page it will ask you if you want the group to be open, which
means anyone can join and invite others to join. Anyone can see the group information and
content, or be closed which means Admins must approve requests for new members to join.
Anyone can see the group description, but only members can see the Wall, discussion board,
and photos, or secret which means the group will not appear in search results or in the profiles
of its members. Membership is by invitation only, and only members can see the group
information and content. More than likely you will want to make the group a closed group
which will allow you, as the admin, the ability to choose who is in the group and what content
is placed in the group. Be sure to click save at the end of the page.
4. After you click save, the next page will allow you to invite your friends to join the group.
5. You can click on their picture to invite them to join, or you can type in a friend’s name to
narrow your search. You can also invite people via e-mail. This might be the best option if you
haven’t had an opportunity to become friends with your students.
6. After inviting your friends, you can now upload pictures, create events, start a discussion
board, post links, or add video.
7. It is important to remember that it is hard to administer a Facebook group without becoming
Facebook friends with your students. This might be a really good option for SSS, VUB, EOC
and McNair with their students being in undergraduate work or of age. This may not be the
best option for ETS, UB, or UB M&S, however, it depends on your relationship with your
students and which application will work best for you.
How to Create a MySpace Profile
1. Go to http://www.myspace.com/. Click on Sign Up!
2. Enter in the mandatory information. Don’t worry about your name becoming public, we will
change that in a moment. Click Sign Up.
3. On the next page MySpace will require you to enter a “Captcha, verification that you are not
spam. They will then send you a confirmation e-mail that you will need to check and follow
4. Now you want to change you account settings. Click on My Account.
5. Here you can edit your display name. For these purposes, I used ODSA Conference as my
name. Do not click on the box to show your full name. Make sure you click Save Changes at
the bottom of the page.
6. The next thing you want to change is the Spam settings. This will keep suspicious people from
accessing your profile. I would set my Spam presets like this:
7. Next, I would personalize my profile by scrolling over the Profile Tab and clicking on
8. This will now allow you to edit your profile using Profile 2.0. I highly recommend using this
editing method as opposed to Profile 1.0. Everything is preset and much more user-friendly.
You can choose a preset theme by clicking on one of the boxes such as Ninja. This will alter
your page to the Ninja setting. There are 102 themes, and to view all the themes, click on the
blue arrow in the right-hand corner of the box. You can also change the layout of your page by
clicking on Change Layout. When finished, click Publish to update your changes.
This editing technique will save you time and frustration.
9. Now you can edit your profile information by scrolling over the Profile Tab and clicking on
10. Here you can personalize you site by filling out your about me, interests, basic info, details,
schools, companies, and networks. I would leave Details and Networking blank, as these will
not be needed for your program. Make sure to click Save Changes at the bottom of the page.
11. The schools tab has a neat feature which will allow you to post the schools you serve. Click on
Schools, Select the State, the City, and then the school. Select the student status as alumni, and
you can even select the year you started serving that school. When finished click submit.
12. Next you will want to pick a MySpace URL. Click on the home tab, and then click on pick
your MySpace URL. A specific URL will allow your students to find your page easier.
13. Enter your URL, but be careful, they will not let you change your URL once you have entered
14. Your URL will now show on your profile and you can now give it to your students so they can
15. You are now free to upload pictures, blog, and post your calendar. To get your students to add
you as a friend, just give them your URL and they will have the choice to add you or not! Just
like Facebook, it is important that you spend some time getting familiar with the site so you
can better serve your students.
Feel free to contact me if you need any assistance, and believe me, no question is too silly!
705 N Grand Ave.
Tahlequah, OK 74464