Open Knowledge Foundation Nepal
Sort, Filter and Visualization
The basics of spreadsheets
● The most basic tool used for data wrangling is a spreadsheet.
● structured, machine-readable data format.
● total, the average, different mathematical function.
● bulk processes, pulling out different graphs and charts.
Spreadsheets: An Overview
A variety of spreadsheet programs and applications exist
● The first thing to do when looking at a new dataset is to orient
● This involves at looking at maximum/minimum values and sorting the
data so it makes sense.
● Data visualization is not just about making what you found look good
– often it is a way of gaining insight into the data
● We just understand graphical information on a better level than we
understand numbers and tables.