What Schools Need To Do This Spring to be
Prepared for Voter Engagement Next Fall
TurboVote Director of Partnerships
What TurboVote Does
• Support school efforts to institutionalize voter
• Build technology that makes it easier for
institutions to provide people with all the
information and materials that they need to vote
in every election from local to presidential.
Note: TurboVote is a non-profit, non-partisan
Strategic Voter Engagement
• Not linear (more time does not always
equal more results)
• Bottlenecks and empowering staff to
pursue strategies to institutionalize voter
engagement are key
• A bottleneck is a process like class
registration or freshman orientation that a
large number of students must go through
• Strategic voter engagement efforts focus
on integrating voter engagement into
bottleneck processes as the default for
Bottleneck Planning: Fall 2013
• Identify your top three target bottleneck
• Characteristics to consider:
– How many students go through this process?
– Does it happen in time for voting deadlines?
– Operational challenges?
– Bureaucratic challenges?
Bottleneck Planning: Spring 2014
• Planning for your bottleneck
– Which stakeholders do you need to engage?
– When do they need to be engaged?
– Put a meeting on the calendar for the relevant
staff members at the end of the semester
• Set expectation of voter engagement being a
default experience next fall
• What materials and support do staff need?
• Set check in dates to make sure they stay on track
Bottleneck Planning: Summer/Fall 2014
– Check in with key implementers to keep
things on track
– Troubleshoot as issues come up
– Watch the sign ups roll in!
• TurboVote builds technology that makes it
easier for institutions to institutionalize voter
• When they use TurboVote, colleges just need
to share a single link with students and get
them to complete a 90 second online
– Then, the system automatically follows up with
each student to provide him or her with all the
information and materials needed to vote in all
elections from local to presidential.
• Since 2012, over 200,000 voters have signed
up through partnerships with over 80 colleges,
30 non-profits, and Google.
• Partnerships features
– Co-branded user experience
– Free experience for students
• Strategic planning process is key to good
– Fall 2013: picking a bottleneck
– Spring 2014: planning for your bottleneck
– Summer/Fall 2014: execute
• TurboVote is a tool that makes it easier to
institutionalize voter engagement
• Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org, (410)-903-6911