3. 1 Understand what makes you unique 2 Understand your needs Pitching 3 Have a large pipeline 4 What can you do for the designer? 5 Learn the basics yourself and believe 6 Go behind the portfolioIdentifying 7 No ego, lots of empathy 8 Find personal motivators Closing 9 Socialize with your entire team 10 Hire early
4. 1 PitchingUnderstand whatmakes you unique
5. Kayak for Apparel
6. JetSetter for Beaches
7. Turbotax for Relationships
8. Klout for Video Games
9. “We’re the next Facebook.”
10. “Like Quicken but better”
11. Mint for Personal Finance
12. This works for not a designer.
13. 2 PitchingUnderstand your needs ﬁrst
14. “Seed-stage startup looking for rockstardesigner to sketch wireframes and designbeautiful mockups. You’ll be responsible for crafting our logo and brand andwriting UI copy. Must know how to run usability studies, prototype and write production-ready HTML and CSS.” Braden Kowitz http://www.designstaﬀ.org/articles/hiring-a-designer-2011-11-01.html
16. • Interaction design for functionality, ﬂows, usability.• Visual design for feel, emotional impact, trust, entertainment.• Front-end development should be implementation for speed, responsiveness, to work as expected.
17. Does your entire team agree on needs?
18. 3 PitchingHave a large pipeline
19. • Many recruiters on contingency• Designer communities / directories• Use your social networks• Design schools• Creative agencies• Where are designers interested in your space?
21. “I want someone from Mint or Twitter.”
22. 4 PitchingWhat can you do for the designer?
23. “The product is done, it just needs UX.”
24. Designers wantunique challenges.
25. Designers wantto be inspired.
26. Designers wanta seat at the table.
27. Designers wantto talk to users.
28. Designers wantthe latitude to get it done.
29. 5 Pitching Learn the basicsyourself, and believe
30. 6 IdentifyingGo behind the portfolio
31. Visual is a gut feel.
32. Can they write copy?
33. Design thinkingThe essential ability to combineempathy, creativity and rationality tomeet user needs and drive businesssuccess.
34. Start with the problem,ask why until you can’t anymore.
35. Critical thinking is good,too much process is not.
36. 7 Identifying No ego,lots of empathy.
37. Not afraid to provedesigns in the real world.
38. Focused on the users, and little else.
39. 8 ClosingFind personal motivators
40. Ask about family
41. Find risk tolerance
42. 9 ClosingSocialize with the entire team
43. 10 ClosingHire early
44. 1 Understand what makes you unique 2 Understand your needs Pitching 3 Have a large pipeline 4 What can you do for the designer? 5 Learn the basics yourself and believe 6 Go behind the portfolioIdentifying 7 No ego, lots of empathy 8 Find personal motivators Closing 9 Socialize with your entire team 10 Hire early