• The tide moves a large amount of water twice each
day and provides quite a lot of energy- about twenty
percent of Britain’s needs.
• There are about 8 sites in Britain where tidal power
stations could be built for example - the Severn
Dee, Solway and Humber estuaries.
The energy of the
tide comes from
pull of the Moon
and Sun and the
rotation of the
• Once you have built the tide turbine, tidal power is
free which means it is a very cheap resource
• A key advantage is that it is cheap to maintain
• It does not have a bad output onto the environment
since it produces no greenhouse gases or other
• Also good for the environment, offshore turbines and
turbines do not have a large environmental impact.
• It requires no fuel
• It’s production of electricity is very reliable
• It is a renewable source!
A few Disadvantages
• Unfortunately ,it only provides power for
approximately 10 hours each day, when the tide is
actually moving in or out.
• Only a few estuaries are suitable to build the tide
• It may have a negative impact on wildlife for example
it may damage habitats for wildlife.