* Test your reliability of your intuitions by trying the questions that follow.* For each question you will have 30 seconds to write down an answer. *
* 1. Linda is thirty-one years old, single, outspoken, bright, and very much involved in social issues like disarmament and equal rights. Which of the following statements is more likely?* A. Linda is a bank teller* B. Linda is a bank teller and is active in the feminist movement. *
* 2. If an unbiased coin is tossed six times in a row, which of the following sequences in more likely?* A. H-T-H-T-H-T* B. H-H-H-H-H-H *
* 3. A soccer team has 11 players and one manager. What are the odds of two people on the field sharing the same birthday? *
* 4. Briefly describe what will happen to the path of a ball after it is propelled through a spiral tube –like the one below- and shot out the top of it. *
* 5. Imagine that you are standing on a large flat plain holding a bullet in your left hand and a loaded gun in your right. If you fire the gun horizontally and at the same instant drop the bullet from your left hand, which of the two bullets will hit the ground first? *
6. You and your friend have just spent $10 each to a movie.After about half an hour you both realise that it is a reallybad movie. List some good reasons for staying until the endof the movie. *
* We tend to be over-confident about our own intuitions and pride ourselves on being good judges of character, however, the evidence suggests that our intuitions are not as good as we like to think. Countless experiments have shown that when people try to distinguish true stories from false ones they do no better than they would if they simply guessed at random.* Experiment: The Lying Game *
* You will be divided into four groups. Each group is given a role card.* As a group come to a conclusion on the likely course of action for the person your group represents. *
* What was your intuitive response as ……..* Juan or Maria* Sean or Siobhan?* What role (if any) did emotion play in your response?* What role (if any) did reason play in your response? *
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.