• Organizing means to structure /
arrange the relationship between
people, the work to be done, & the
facilities so that goals are achieved.
• Organizational structure
• Is the basic framework within which the
manager & his subordinates operate.
• The organization enables similar activities to
be grouped & assigned to appropriate
specialist workers to achieve the objectives of
• Division of work/labor
• Work has to be divided among the members
& different jobs related to each other.
• It is easy to assign task to individuals based
upon the talents, interests & position.
• 5 Major aspects of an organization’s
structure illustrated by the organization
– The division of work
– Managers & subordinates (who is whose
– The type of work being performed (nature
– The grouping of work segments
– The level of management
SPAN OF MANAGEMENT
• Span of management refers to the number of
subordinates who report directly to a given
manager of supervision.
• In any organization, they can structure their
organization according to :
• A flat organization (WIDE SPAN OF MANAGEMENT)
• A steep organization (NARROW SPAN OF
• Departmentalization is the process of
grouping into separate units’ activities / tasks
that are intended.
• The organization can be departmentalization
• By function
• By product
• By geography
• By customer
• By matrix
• The right to make decisions with respect to
work assignments & to require subordinates
to perform assigned tasks in accordance
with the decision made.
• Types of authority :
• Line authority
• Staff authority
– A concept describing the passing of
formal authority to another person – may
become necessary when managers are
absent from their jobs.
– Practice of having responsibility &
authority concentrated in one place, so
that major decisions are made by the
central controlling body.
– Delegating authority to subordinates for
many decisions while maintaining control
over certain essential matters.