23998459 who-killed-web-warrior-steve-kangas
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in...5
×

Like this? Share it with your network

Share
  • Full Name Full Name Comment goes here.
    Are you sure you want to
    Your message goes here
    Be the first to comment
    Be the first to like this
No Downloads

Views

Total Views
17,351
On Slideshare
17,350
From Embeds
1
Number of Embeds
1

Actions

Shares
Downloads
0
Comments
0
Likes
0

Embeds 1

https://twitter.com 1

Report content

Flagged as inappropriate Flag as inappropriate
Flag as inappropriate

Select your reason for flagging this presentation as inappropriate.

Cancel
    No notes for slide

Transcript

  • 1. Who killed Web Warrior Steve Kangas? http://www.psnw.com/~bashford/kang-ev0.html Evidence of Kangas murder. Who killed Steve Kangas? Case overview Steve Kangas was found dead on the 39th floor of his enemys doorstep at 11:30 PM on February 8 1999. In the bathroom of the offices of Richard Mellon Scaife, 2000 miles from home, -- in Pittsburgh PA. Shot (twice?) in the head. Due to obstructions of justice, local police investigating the wrong circumstances quickly ruled it a suicide. There are over 1000 heated Usenet posts on this topic, dated from eleven days after his death. How did he die? It seems much too messy for a pre-meditated hit. And too quiet for a political suicide stunt. And his death was far outside the depressed and paralyzed suicidal persons profile -- on a long trip? -- its just not done. Suicide is normally done in, or close to the rut of daily life. Suicide counselors often recommend; "Take a long trip, and now! Break out!" It fits just right for a scuffle or the flared temper of a cold and mean man who owns the town and a small private army of "security". Of course, anything is possible, suicide is too. But what fits best?. Where does logic and reason lead us if we toss aside the preconceptions that have been skillfully laid for us from the very first day? We shall explore one range of possibilities that one path takes us. I say "we" in part because this path is evolving quickly even now among the political newsgroups, in a huge battle between liberals and neo-conservatives. It is now mid May, 1999. What is the entrance to this path we will follow? 1) Its based on the fact that Scaife and/or his employees had fouled the police investigation within hours to suggest a "closed case" random suicide by concealing or withholding critical information. 2) Its also based on the fact that Scaifes Tribune-Review tabloid attack articles were so unfactual, and such an obvious smear that ALL information from them has been rejected. 3) Its based on the assumption that there was a real reason for the Scaife tabloids news black-out, the eventual risky lies, the Kangas smear, Scaifes1 of 39 11/25/09 5:56 PM
  • 2. Who killed Web Warrior Steve Kangas? http://www.psnw.com/~bashford/kang-ev0.html nation-wide investigation, and the obstructions of justice. That is; we assume that these were not merely the frivolous ravings of a paranoid mean-spirited man, -- nor a mere haphazard coincidence -- as the police and mainstream press seems to have assumed as the only realistic premise. Even if Scaife is a paranoid mean-spirited man, this is hardly a rational defense. If we establish those assumptions, only a few possibilities remain. I intend to establish them as reasonable and realistic assumptional foundations that no complete investigation should ignore. It seems that if not for Usenet/Internet, the police would have long ago closed the case on a "random suicide by a random out-of-state drifter." In fact, thats what they quickly concluded within hours, and that conclusion stuck, it became an assumption unchallenged by anyone outside of Team Scaife for the next five weeks. But, Scaifes cover-up and his news black-out of his relationship with Steve Kangas was revealed by the boiling of dozens of ever angrier netizens in the political debate newsgroups of Usenet, and the sharp-eyed police spotted it on the front page of the Pittsburgh newspaper, the Post-Gazette. But the cover-up bought Scaife time. The police, unaware of the Scaife-Kangas connection never made a criminal investigation. The Pittsburg Police did not request the Las Vegas Police to search Kangass home. During all this time Scaife had sent a private investigator traveling the country. Scaifes employee entered and searched Steves home and smeared Steves name to witnesses long in advance of any police investigation. If Steve had any material worth being killed for, the police have little chance of ever finding it now. Police now claim the investigation has been widened to include Scaife. The same friendly police department that has been routinely stationed in front of the billionaires home providing him with "security" for decades. However exposed, Scaifes cover-up did succeed for five weeks, its been cleaned up, and the body cremated. And Steves name has been smeared with womanizing, pornography, theft, drunkenness plus a murder attempt by Scaifes famous dirt-manufacturing propaganda mill. In fact, despite the fact that Team Scaifes cover-ups, meddling and steering of the evidence from the very first hours to insure a suicide verdict have recently come to light, the press as of mid-May still continues to unhesitatingly assume suicide. This is not a banner most people would care to fight under. The squeamish, the gentle, the "reputable" need not apply, nor did they. While smearing the enemy is a common tactic, its just not polite. Even if nobody really believes that garbage, the knight in shining armor has been successfully destroyed, tainted. Thats the power of first-information, of first-assumption. Perhaps Team Scaife has learned a few tricks of mind bending over the last three decades? Its what they do. High-dollar "spin" is their claim to fame. Underestimating that power might be an error.2 of 39 11/25/09 5:56 PM
  • 3. Who killed Web Warrior Steve Kangas? http://www.psnw.com/~bashford/kang-ev0.html "To truly know a man, learn what he takes for granted." The players: Steve Kangas. Ex army intelligence, a Doctoral Candidate at UC: Santa Cruz in economics and political studies. His book was almost completed, and was working with a publisher. Once president of the local chess club in Santa Cruz for several years. Net presence: 1600 Usenet posts found on DejaNews.com, a double award winning political Web site with over 300 html pages. His most popular page was on the Great Depression: 75,000 hits. The Web site was also a "one-stop-shop", -- an armory -- of liberal oriented arguments, facts, charts and tables to be used in debates against popular neo-conservative myths. (Yet while many liberals blame the great recession of 82-83 on Reagan, Steve Kangas argued strongly that Reagan had nothing to do with it.) Above all, Steve Kangas was a truth-seeker. See his AboutMe.html. In the jungle of Usenet political debates he was known for his calm reasonable arguments and facts, even when outrageously provoked. Few could touch him, and even now the rabidly attacking neo-conservative vultures on Usenet cannot present a credible, reasonable argument against his undefended Web site. "I dont like it", is the sum of their arguments before resorting to the ad hominem fallacy. Ive experienced a Web Warriors death before, we knew the the dreaded death dance of the mean-spirited was coming, we try to get through it as best we can, but I think everybody feels dirtied by it, and by who we have to associate with. Id like to thank those who manage to stick with it, and apologize to Steves loved ones for not always meeting Steves high standards in this mess. Richard Mellon Scaife. Grand master of propaganda. Bored billionaire. Many consider him to be the hub of Hillary Clintons "vast right wing conspiracy." Hes largely responsible for the "Vince Foster murder conspiracy theory." Some even say Ken Starr was his toady. MUCH more, for example, Quoting TIME MAGAZINE, 21-FEB-993 of 39 11/25/09 5:56 PM
  • 4. Who killed Web Warrior Steve Kangas? http://www.psnw.com/~bashford/kang-ev0.html New Rules Of The Road * ...outsiders and scandal prospectors of every kind, * from the anti-Clinton tycoon Richard Mellon Scaife * to the freelance spider Lucianne Goldberg * and the Jupiter of sleaze, Larry Flynt. "Theres a * cottage industry of digging up dirt and slinging * mud," says Kyle McSlarrow, chairman of Quayle * 2000. End quote Quoting TIME MAGAZINE, 10-FEB-99: Crazy and In Charge *Brilliant tycoons have had a *tendency to get eccentric, or worse *...acute that he lived out his later years in *double-insulated, soundproof rooms. As for Scaife, *he spent some of his Mellon family megabucks *(Alcoa, Mellon Bank) to buy a suburban newspaper, *give it a Steel City moniker and publish an *unending string of kooky conspiracy theories *centered on the Clintons. End quote So Scaife and his tabloid have a reputation as dirt-slingers and known for kooky conspiracy theories. According to the May 3 Washington Post, Scaife "has given at least $340 million to fund a `war of ideas against American liberalism." That is, he finances propaganda and propaganda mills. He owns the Greensburg Pa. Tribune Review tabloid, home of the Vince Foster murder conspiracy. According to the Washington Post, Newsweek, and other publications, Yale expelled Scaife for drunken brawling and breaking the legs of a classmate with a beer keg -- he is known to be a petty bully, to hold a grudge, to assume everybody wants to steal from him, and either you are for him, or you are his enemy. Most people who know him dont think hes particularly bright. And believe it or not, according to his ex-employees, hes an obsessively cheap bastard too, such as in one case, he personally rejected laundry and valet expenses for an employee conducting Scaifes business while traveling in Vietnam. Mean 2, adj; 1. inferior in grade, quality or character. 2. low in station rank or dignity. ...5. small minded or ignoble. 6. Stingy. 7. Offensive or selfish. --Syn. common, plebeian, petty, squalid, contemptible, low, base, vile, coarseness, vulgarity, cowardice, moral depravity, disgusting foulness, niggardly. --Ant. superior, exalted, important, generous, liberal. See the TIME archives for much more about Scaife at4 of 39 11/25/09 5:56 PM
  • 5. Who killed Web Warrior Steve Kangas? http://www.psnw.com/~bashford/kang-ev0.html http://cgi.pathfinder.com/time/magazine/ or, http://search.newsweek.com/ keyword: Scaife. Or my pertinent summery and extractions from the May 3 99 Washington Post front page article on Scaife, his mean streaks, history, and personality. Steve Kangas said much of the same, and more about Scaife at: http://www.scruz.net/~kangaroo/L-clintonrightwingconspiracy.html and Scaife is also mentioned on one other of Steves 300 html pages there, and they are linked. See also SCAIFE-O-RAMA!! at: http://members.aol.com/fszamazon/scaife3.htm Rex Armistead Armistead among other things is the famous private investigator used by Scaife to dig up dirt on President Clinton and Steve Kangas. He was paid $250,000 for one job. Rex Armistead was aided by Scaifes Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reporter Richard Gazarik and Steves grieving parents eager for any information to fill the terrible vacuum. His mother now seems to regret being used that way. The Tribune-Review published some of the sleaziest dirt jobs you will find in any tabloid -- against Kangas. Below, you will see how one witness (Steves mom) was mysteriously manipulated into telling lies about her son. Propaganda and mind bending. Its what they do. Robert Esh Steves father, Robert Esh seems to be in the Armistead-Scaife camp. Yet he calls himself a conservative Christian. Robert Esh said; "It wasnt that we were at odds with each other or fighting, but that hed kept some distance because his belief system was different than ours." [cough] Steve Kangas changed his last name to his mothers maiden name. Even in death, Robert Esh seems to be trying to control his sons mind. He attempted to cancel Steves Web page because he disagrees with it. And as of mid April, Esh is attempting to demand that mirror sites of his sons include a 2-1/2 page letter of his; "explaining" things and criticizing his sons politics while cheapening Steves beliefs. It is seemingly without irony that he signs that statement "The father of a much-loved Prodigal Son that never came home." Mr. Esh has been telling people not to "bother" his former wife and Steve Kangas mother, Jan Lankheet, he wants her out of the loop. (Yet it appears he does not have executorship of Steves estate(??)) Jan Lankheet "He was a happy guy. He had plans for this summer," said his mother, Jan Lankheet, who lives in Michigan and whose Christmas card inviting her son to visit last year was in his knapsack when he was found dead. When informed that Steves Web friends had constructed six mirror sites of Steves Web site, and one had been paying his bills there, she was pleased: "Theres something to be said for that. Now that hes dead, may his work live5 of 39 11/25/09 5:56 PM
  • 6. Who killed Web Warrior Steve Kangas? http://www.psnw.com/~bashford/kang-ev0.html on after him." Don Adams Don Adams and his associate are the pivotal eye-witnesses in this case. It was reported that Adams is a building engineer and he found Steve Kangas in dire need of help. When he returned Kangas was mortally wounded. If Don Adams actually is the building engineer, and not related to Scaife "security," and actually was making routine checks when he found Kangas, and was telling the truth, this (alone??) fixes Kangas time of death, and drastically limits the possible scenarios. But as we will see, there are several major discrepancies here, and it just smells fishy. In this case, I have come to trust my nose. A lie detector test would resolve most of the obvious questions this case presents. The FBI The FBIs jurisdiction includes any case involving a reasonable possibility of interstate transportation in a crime, or if local authorities may be biased or incompetent. There is a historically cozy relationship between the Mellon/Scaife dynasty and the police, and indeed, with Pittsburgh. Also, the local police did investigate the wrong case for over a month. So this is FBIs jurisdiction, but the FBI doesnt go "cruising for crime," a concerned principal in this case must "file a formal complaint." Nobody has. The Internet Web Warrior killed. Cover-up and obstruction of justice predicted, detected and exposed. An anonymous truth-seeker is paying to keep his site open, and there are several mirror sites now in place. Its not just zeros and ones anymore. to top First an overview, from Usenet. Keep in mind, this is largely how we saw it at the time. A few more facts and corrections keep coming to light, ever confirming our predictions. Subject: Re: Who killed Web Warrior Steve Kangas? overview, from Usenet: Subject: Re: Who killed Web Warrior Steve Kangas? From: see.my.sig@theBeach.edu (Doug Bashford) Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 14:55:13 GMT on Mon, 26 Apr 1999 (Flaagg) wrote:6 of 39 11/25/09 5:56 PM
  • 7. Who killed Web Warrior Steve Kangas? http://www.psnw.com/~bashford/kang-ev0.html about: Re: Who killed Web Warrior Steve Kangas? >I R A Aggie writes: >>Why hasnt the Clinton News Network would have been >>blaring this from the rooftops for months? Bashford: I dont know them. But some guesses? Perhaps they just dont know about it. Its received a television piece in L.A., and about 6 newspaper articles across the nation, mostly right-wing, not much publicity. But perhaps more importantly, when I said Scaife was a Grand master of propaganda and information-bending, that was not hyperbole. Im in awe of the man. His cover-up and news black-out lasted over a month. By then the police had concluded suicide and the body cremated. But more importantly, Scaife sent Rex Armistead P.I., and one of the reporters from his tabloid out to smear Steve Kangas during all this time. Not a pretty picture. Armistead is the famous dirt-digger used against Clinton, and various multi-million dollar covert operations. Against Steve Kangas, Web Warrior!??? [snip] Below is part of the team sent to smear Kangas under the guise of an "investigation": 22-Mar-99 excerpt from Salon magazine: http://www.salonmagazine.com/news/1998/04/cov_20news.html ** Starr deputy met with ** Scaife private investigator ** LITTLE ROCK, Ark. -- Deputy ** Whitewater independent ** counsel W. Hickman ** Ewing Jr. has quietly met several times during the ** course of his investigation with a private eye ** employed by conservative philanthropist ** Richard Mellon Scaife, according to two federal law ** enforcement sources. One Whitewater investigator ... ** official files of the independent counsel. The law ** enforcement official called the meetings between ** Ewing, who is Starrs chief deputy in Little Rock, ** and the private investigator, Rex Armistead, "either ** the worst case of judgment or something worse." ** Armistead, a former top Mississippi law enforcement ** official, was paid $250,000 by the Arkansas Project, ** a covert, $2.4 million operation funded by Scaife, ** to investigate and discredit President Clinton, ** according to sources and documents. .... Scaifes tabloids (Tribune Review) hit-piece was ugly. ** , to investigate and discredit President Clinton7 of 39 11/25/09 5:56 PM
  • 8. Who killed Web Warrior Steve Kangas? http://www.psnw.com/~bashford/kang-ev0.html For example, that Kangas was found with a copy of Hitlers Mein Kampf when he was found. It was in all the news. Steves Web friends never believed it. Just a few days ago, it turns up that Steves very own mother was the source of that lie. Now she just doesnt know where she got that idea, and shes angry. Well, Armistead took both Steves mourning parents under his wing. Dad is seemingly still Rex Armisteads toady. Is that brilliant, or what? At any rate, its all about propaganda and epistemology. Steve can no longer be seen as a knight in shinning armor. Scaife painted him as a womanizing drunk loser thief Nazi. Limbaugh had a field day with it. Who will carry that banner into battle? Its not polite. >Because nobody cares? >Just a guess. Ya....so it seems.... http://www.scruz.net/~kangaroo/ Kangass Web site. Links about Kangas death: http://www.columbia.edu/~jpg40/sk/kangas.htm -- Douglas bashford at psnw dot-com-- The below series of Usenet posts includes most of one thread from the hundreds on Usenet news about the Kangas case. Subject: Evidence of Kangas murder. The original thread has 18 replies and can be found along with all the rest of them on www.dejanews.com; keyword: Kangas. Some of the redundant quoting of previous replies has been removed (over 1/3 of the total volume) since this can be read at one sitting, and is not stretched over a weeks time. While it could use more editing, to remove the redundancies caused by time and my posting to many discussions simultaneously, Ive left it pretty much intact, there are little details that I fear to remove. Ive highlighted some of the major points or concepts in color or bold for those who prefer just to skim this.8 of 39 11/25/09 5:56 PM
  • 9. Who killed Web Warrior Steve Kangas? http://www.psnw.com/~bashford/kang-ev0.html Included below you will find some of the discrepancies in this case, some of the more plausible theories, evidence of a professional anti-Kangas troll, and the chronology, who knew what when, that police might still not know about. Because the political newsgroups are basically debate forums, the weaker possibilities have been weeded out, yet perhaps some good ones were not noticed. Indeed, not even all the major questions I have, nor what I see as key evidence is addressed here. The basic structural flaw in all of this is: Nobody wants to talk about this, we only know what we read in the newspapers. A foundational flaw. Yet that picture might be better than what some of the principal players knew. After all, Usenet knew about the news blackout and Scaifes involvement a month before the police did. And while we suspected Hitlers Mein Kampf was a plant, we thought a physical book was found. It never existed. Whats startling is how many of the theories that might on the surface appear to have been extracted out of thin air have only been confirmed as the facts became known. Prediction is the strongest indicator of understanding. Before the March 14 newspaper articles, there were basically no facts. The first newspaper article to hit Usenet was the Scaife-Gazarik-Armistead smear job of Steve Kangas in Scaifes Pittsburgh Tribune-Review tabloid. There was a powerful sucking sound as that obvious hatchet-job filled the information vacuum. The Scaife-Armistead-Tribune- Review propaganda team were practiced in the game of exploiting that terrible empty vacuum, the confusion, and human vulnerability caused by the unexpected death of a loved one from the Vince Foster case. In any situation where there is a factual vacuum, one quickly9 of 39 11/25/09 5:56 PM
  • 10. Who killed Web Warrior Steve Kangas? http://www.psnw.com/~bashford/kang-ev0.html recognizes that there are an infinite number of possible explanations. The trick is to falsify as many as possible, then see which pieces can be assembled into a picture. From there we compare the several pictures to see which of those most closely fits our understanding of reality. I hint at one or two of those reasonable plausibilities here. My conclusion? This case needs to be investigated by an objective third party such as the FBI. I think even a surface investigation will answer these questions. Going out on a limb, specifically: 1) Don Adams and cohort should be investigated, and/or given a lie detector test. 2) The coroner and detective that night also. Its that simple. While the rest of the discussion is in chronological order, I moved this next article from the bottom to the top of the thread because its important to understand the chronology of this case. Particularly if Scaife is to be charged with obstruction of justice. It was cut and paste from another thread, then modified to conform with my notes. Chronology ====-+=-+=-+=-+-==== From: see.my.sig@theBeach.edu ( Doug Bashford ) Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 14:55:03 GMT This debate defines the rough Kangas case timeline. One guy gives a Scaife tabloid version, and I fill in the gaps. on Tue, 30 Mar 1999 09:00:09 -0500, about: Re: Why Did Dick Scaife MURDER Steve Kangas? >Treb or, auditioning wrote: >> On Mon, 29 Mar, Rob Robertson wrote: >> >Treb or wrote: >> >> On Fri, 26 MarRob Robertson wrote:10 of 39 11/25/09 5:56 PM
  • 11. Who killed Web Warrior Steve Kangas? http://www.psnw.com/~bashford/kang-ev0.html >> >> >The Scaifes had never met, seen or heard of Mr. Kangas. They >> >> >became aware of his anti-Scaife sentiments only through his >> >> >Web site, after his death." Treb or wrote: >> >> Then why did Scaife change all the locks in his >> >> office immediately after Kangas was murdered? Rob Robertson wrote: >> > the locks >> >were added to the public area restrooms after it was discovered >> >that a Scaife-obsessed homicidal/suicidal maniac had holed up in >> >there for several hours. Bashford: There is no evidence he "holed up" there. Thats another unsupported Scaife tabloid assertion. Treb or wrote: >> you just proved my point. How >> did Scaife known Kangas was a Scaife-obsessed ...maniac, >> as you put it, before he even knew who Kangas was? As you indicated, >> Scaife must have known Kangas politics from the beginning, and he >> could only have known that if hed met (and murdered) him that day. Rob Robertson wrote: > Pay close attention; Yes, Ill add what you left out of your timeline: >1) Kangas commits suicide on the 39th floor of One Oxford Centre. Bashford: 1B) Kangas died late on Feb 8, and his body was moved to the coroners office on Feb 9. Scaifes minions were questioning Stevess Web friends on that same date, asking about "leads to friends, former friends or employers." Of course shocked, his friends were very talkative, wanting to help. That evening Scaifes reporter, Rich Gazarik "informs" Steves friend Mike Huben that Kangas comited "suicide" and that he had found Huben by reading Steves Web site. I assume Gazarik had first noticed the Scaife page, -- its far more obvious. Scaife withholds all resulting information of the Kangas-Scaife connection (not a random drifter) from the police for five weeks. 1C) Epiststemology: Mike Huben "knows" that Steve Kangas commited "suicide" and was "drunk". As this news spreads via e-mail, Stevess Web friends at first think "investigation" is a cruel hoax after email to Scaifes reporter, Rich Gazarik, is not returned. Something smells11 of 39 11/25/09 5:56 PM
  • 12. Who killed Web Warrior Steve Kangas? http://www.psnw.com/~bashford/kang-ev0.html fishy. That odor will grow. ================== insert from Private Email: Date: Fri, 12 Feb The below is spooky. Almost everything here seemingly went up in smoke.. Like it had been wiped of fingerprints. Is this series just another coincidence?. It very well could be. If not, what could explain the erie lack of useable evidence? Armisteads "investigation?" No doubt. Bad luck? Some...but.... >This is bad news. Considering that there are some >serious loony toons among our opponents, the chances >of foul play are high. ... But Steves body was found on the 39th floor of an office building, which seems a little bit odd. And all the way out in Pa. I would bet that something brought him to Pa. other than thoughts of suicide. He was a writer so it is likely that he was researching material there. Can someone post the exact date of his death? I would like to try and find a few details. If the office building had a name, such as Rayburn Bldg, that may also help. Given the above circumstance, and that the deceased is from out of town, there would not be a very complete investigation unless there was strong forensic evidence to prompt one. What the people who are closest to him need to do is; At his home/office check his e-mail and correspondence. See if he was corresponding with anyone in the area of his death. Check his schedule book, or program, and see if there were any appointments to meet people in the area of his death. Do a word search on his hard disk for the State, town and hotel he died in. Include [....] CHECK HIS PHONE BILLS FOR THE LAST THREE MONTHS!!! Look for long distance calls to the area of his death. Also cross reference Check his credit card statements, where had he used his credit cards. Check all his cancelled checks, see where he wrote checks. How did he get to Pa.? Did he drive or take a plane, train or bus? Where is his car? The contents of the car need to be gone through. Especially look for cash register receipts dropped on the floor, under the seat, etc. These would show the date, time and location of purchases, even at a McDonalds.12 of 39 11/25/09 5:56 PM
  • 13. Who killed Web Warrior Steve Kangas? http://www.psnw.com/~bashford/kang-ev0.html Also the contents of his pockets, wallet, etc. would also be checked for the above material. The odds are that the police in the town of his death would do none of the above if they can close the file as a suicide. They would also not request the police in Steves hometown to check these things unless they had evidence of foul play to begin with. If anybody is in contact with the people close to Steve and [....] ===================== >2) Run-of-the-mill story about depressed drifter killing himself. Yes, four days after Kangass death, a 46 word story in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. But the Scaife tabloid, the Tribune-Review has a news black-out on Kangas in effect. Thats what Steves friends saw: nothing. Nobody on the Web could find that story with standard search engines. >3) Kangas bizarre Scaife-obsession is discovered. Why the coverup by Scaifes tabloid?? NOT ONE word, even though (SCOOP!) they knew within 36 hours? Two pages out of 300 is hardly an obsession. TIME and Newsweek mag each did more articles more on Scaife this year alone. >4) Investigation, detailed stories, and bathroom lock change follows. oooops! and police are STILL NOT notified. Is that a felony? It is if a murder attempt is was made but not reported. And obstruction of justice? You bet. But why? Feb 13...My e-mail to kangaroo@resurgent.com bounces back. He was just using it on Usenet a few days before he died. Who pulled the plug? When? Was Steves Presario server there, operated remotely from his apartment as he had planned? If so, who got it? Our Web investigation begins and e-mail flys as recognition that Scaife may be behind this dons: "Isnt Richard Mellon Scaife from Pittsburgh?" ================================ insert from Private Email, Tue, 16 Feb 1999 Subject: I hope I am being paranoid now, but ... >I think whoever called is pulling a scam. From the way [name]13 of 39 11/25/09 5:56 PM
  • 14. Who killed Web Warrior Steve Kangas? http://www.psnw.com/~bashford/kang-ev0.html >described it, it sounded like they wanted as much info on Steve >as they could get. > >If its a scam, they are willing to play dirty. You, be >careful what you say about Steve to anyone you arent at >least reasonably familiar with. Steves safety could be >riding on it. ...what was the name of the Pittsburgh newspaper where the reporter called you again? I ask because Richard Mellon Scaifes newspaper is in Pittsburgh. I sincerely hope this is a paranoid question and that we will be able to laugh at my paranoia at some point if it is. If it isnt just my paranoia,[....] ================================= 5) Death finally confirmed by calling coroners office on on 2/18. They report the police have "closed the file" on the Kangas case. Web friends stunned: not a hoax. On 2/20 Steves death is mentioned in one of the Politics threads of Salons Table Talk forums in conjunction with Scaifes foundation HQ. 2/23, 46-word obit by Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, of February 12, discovered, mentioning One Oxford Centre. Web friends confirm that One Oxford Centre is Scaifes HQ from a Congressional letter addressed there. I ask, "Whos Scaife?..duh..." "This is getting real weird, we need to call the FBI." 6) Web begins to boil, for example: * >on Fri, 19 Feb "Milt" wrote * >about: Kangas on the VRWC: * >>In honor of our friend, Steve Kangas, * on Wed, 24 Feb 1999 09:16:34 GMT, * (Studebaker Hawk) wrote: * about: Web warrior Steve Kangas untimely death... Would Scaifes news blackout and cover-up have continued indefinitely without the Web involvement? 7) Scaife now has some MAJOR explaining to do. His random drifter ploy is not sticking. Its about to blow. How can the Grand master of Conspiracy and Slur spin this? Below is how those on one Newsgroup saw the Kangas issue. Other newsgroups have the same theme. The red bracketed numbers are the number of replies in a "thread".14 of 39 11/25/09 5:56 PM
  • 15. Who killed Web Warrior Steve Kangas? http://www.psnw.com/~bashford/kang-ev0.html 8) March 14, the news blackout blows. Three articles published in Pittsburgh, some picked up by AP. Usenet interest in this explodes. Scaifes Murder Conspiracy and Slur of Kangas saturates Usenet: 9) March 17, Quoting Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, headline: Police seek to question Scaife in mans suicide [...] * Deputy police Chief Earl Woodyard said police who * investigated the shooting at the time were unaware of any * potential connection between Kangas and Scaife.15 of 39 11/25/09 5:56 PM
  • 16. Who killed Web Warrior Steve Kangas? http://www.psnw.com/~bashford/kang-ev0.html * Woodyard said police are "taking a second look at the * possibility" Kangas might have traveled to Pittsburgh to * confront or attack Scaife. "Everything points to a * suicide, but the article in the Post-Gazette brought up * all these connections. We were not aware of his past * involvement with the Internet or the liberal * organizations." * Detectives "are going to interview Mr. Scaife, if hell * submit to an interview," Woodyard said. [...] * According to Woodyard, detectives might also be interested * in talking with Rex Armistead, a Mississippi private * detective who has traveled the country in search of * information on Kangas background. Armistead previously * had worked as an investigator on the so-called "Arkansas * Project," which Scaife funded on behalf of the American * Spectator magazine. The project was launched in Clintons * first term to dig up negative information on the * presidents background. > Do try to keep up. >Rob Robertson Yes. Do that. Stay tuned. Up next, some epistemology on this. Scaife is good, real good.... -- Douglas bashford at psnw dot-com-- ====-+=-+=-+=-+-==== Newsgroups: talk.politics.misc, alt.society.liberalism, alt.fan.rush-limbaugh, alt.politics.clinton, alt.cabal Subject: Evidence of Kangas murder. From: see.my.sig@theBeach.edu ( Doug Bashford ) Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 05:07:52 GMT In 36FD1C36.F51D950E@dev.null on 27 Mar "Duane K. Kelly" wrote: about: Re: Kangas Web Site STILL remains Unrefuted. "Tom Potter" wrote: >> >Because of the class warfare kind of brainwashing >> >that is common in the Public Education Monopoly, >> >rather than going out and competing in a free and open market, >> >the mind of Kangas was filled with hate for the people who >> >were successful in the free market, so that when he did not16 of 39 11/25/09 5:56 PM
  • 17. Who killed Web Warrior Steve Kangas? http://www.psnw.com/~bashford/kang-ev0.html >> >succeed in the free market, rather than try, try again, >> >he bought a gun, and engaged in his own little class war. Doug Bashford wrote: >> Oh. So you think wild speculation stated as fact >> is valid, do you? Ok. He was murdered by the man >> who hid his relationship with Kangas for a month >> from police. The same man who slings hate, slander >> and disrespect with the full force of his ample powers. Funny >> heroes you guys seem to worship. "Duane K. Kelly" wrote: >Irrelevant, there is no evidence that Kangas was murdered, Theres plenty. > Also there is no evidence that Richard even had >the slightest idea that Kangas existed. I suppose that Scaifes newspaper and Armistead started their investigation within 36 hours of Kangass death without Scaifes knowledge? Within 36 (perhaps sooner, I dont know) there was an investigation underway, and Kangass friends and Web friends were being questioned by Scaife & Co. Too bad for Scaife. He should be charged with obstruction of justice, at minimum. So Duane, why would a respectable man hide this relationship from the police for a month? Dont you find his news blackout a bit odd? After all, the real newspaper in town ran a 46 word obit four days after Kangas death. Two days AFTER Scaifes tabloid began its intensive investigation. Why did Scaife hide from the police? Why did his tabloid cover for him? >Irrelevant, there is no evidence that Kangas was murdered, Thats evidence, pal. Not proof, just evidence. Would you like some more? Theres plenty. -- Douglas bashford at psnw dot-com-- Middle-of-the-road extremist. - Dear Politicians: - Seek to increase individuals wealth and freedom - rather than stimulating the gross economy. Consider abundance - and wholeness instead of so-called; "economic growth". - Growthmania consumes what it promises. Ecology delivers. ====-+=-+=-+=-+-====17 of 39 11/25/09 5:56 PM
  • 18. Who killed Web Warrior Steve Kangas? http://www.psnw.com/~bashford/kang-ev0.html From: "Duane K. Kelly" user@dev.null Date: 28 Mar 1999 06:10:21 GMT Doug Bashford wrote: > Why did Scaife hide from the police? > Why did his tabloid cover for him? > > >Irrelevant, there is no evidence that Kangas was murdered, > > Thats evidence, pal. Not proof, just evidence. > Would you like some more? Theres plenty. "Duane K. Kelly" wrote: All you have provide here is not a lick of proof, only speculation. And the biggest lie is about Richard hiding from the police, hell they were there on day one. If you had the slightest idea about the duties of a bodyguard, you would know that any apparent threat is to be thorough investigated, and there is no law that states this investigation has to be reported to the police. Who knows which Kangasite will be waiting and where to finish what Kangas failed in his attempts to off Richard. It is called common sense, not proof of murder. Your ideas are completely full of holes. Cordially, Duane K. Kelly The Big Lie | http://www.kellyfreehold.com/spam/ Join the fight against Spam! | http://www.cauce.org Join the fight for ethical internet business! | http://spam.abuse.net/spam To reply directly to this post: http://www.kellyfreehold.com/usenet.html ======================================================== ====-+=-+=-+=-+-==== From: see.my.sig@theBeach.edu ( Doug Bashford ) Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 15:50:33 GMT In 36FDC7D3.BC73EA10@dev.null on 28 Mar 1999 06:10:21 GMT, "Duane K. Kelly" user@dev.null wrote: about: Re: Evidence of Kangas murder. >Doug Bashford wrote: >> >> In <36FD1C36.F51D950E@dev.null> >> on 27 Mar "Duane K. Kelly" wrote: >> Thats evidence, pal. Not proof, just evidence. >> Would you like some more? Theres plenty.18 of 39 11/25/09 5:56 PM
  • 19. Who killed Web Warrior Steve Kangas? http://www.psnw.com/~bashford/kang-ev0.html "Duane K. Kelly" wrote: >All you have provide here is not a lick of proof, only speculation. Bashford: You dont read too well do you? I said it was not proof, just evidence. And I didnt post speculation, just facts and the questions that logically follow from them. But if you see speculation there, who could blame you? The questions raised are self evident. > And the biggest lie is about Richard hiding from the > police, hell they were there on day one. But Scaife was hiding, wasnt he? Its fact. There was a newspaper headline a month later because police had only then learned of the Scaife-Kangas connection. Perhaps you would care to assert that Scaife just forgot to tell the police? >If you had the slightest idea about the duties of a >bodyguard, you would know that any apparent threat >is to be thorough I dont give a rats ass what P.I. Rex Armistead did. Im talking about Scaife. ====-+=-+=-+=-+-==== From: jvanm@usa.net (Van) Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 08:32:15 GMT On Sun, 28 Mar 1999 05:07:52 GMT, see.my.sig@theBeach.edu ( Doug Bashford ) wrote: >Why did Scaife hide from the police? >Why did his tabloid cover for him? > >>Irrelevant, there is no evidence that Kangas was murdered, > >Thats evidence, pal. Not proof, just evidence. >Would you like some more? Theres plenty. jvanm@usa.net (Van) wrote: There are also the new burglar alarm system Steve Kangas bought, the server he bought and the domain name that he registered in anticipation of a huge increase in web traffic to his political page. Verifiable facts. There is also that bullet found in the clothing store of a ground floor shop at One Oxford Centre. There are many loose ends that will probably never be tied up. But Occams Razor and the Law of Parsimony dont favor any simple suicide theory no matter19 of 39 11/25/09 5:56 PM
  • 20. Who killed Web Warrior Steve Kangas? http://www.psnw.com/~bashford/kang-ev0.html how the Daunes on these lists slime their tales. Van ****************************************** Steve Kangas Mirror Site http://home.att.net/~jbvm/Resurgent The truth lives on ****************************************** ====-+=-+=-+=-+-==== It seems we may have a professional troll below? This debates Scaifes tabloid articles: Subject: RE: Evidence of Kangas murder. From: "Duane K. Kelly" user@dev.null Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 01:06:16 Van wrote: > the Law of Parsimony dont favor any simple suicide theory no > matter how the Daunes on these lists slime their tales. > Van "Duane K. Kelly" wrote: This is true, it was not and is not a simple suicide case, it was a foiled assassination attempt by Kangas to murder Richard Scaife. The action of Richard after the foiled attempt, the investigation Kangas to find out who he was, and if there is more just like him is justified as a security measure, a measure that you claim Kangas made prior to his leaving LV, yet you justify one, and claim the other is an admission of guilt. (Can you say double standard?). With all the people that Kangas stole from in LV, $30,000 by his own admission to his former employer. (which he lost by the way attempting to start an S&M web site), how much more did he steal from employers, or owe in gambling debts to the mob in LV? I would say the new alarm system was in regards to a fear of retaliation from the mob over gambling debts, or a disgruntled employer or "business partner". As for Kangass "new server" (that turned out to be a PC) it is clear he could not afford being his room mate had to sell as compensation to pay Kangass share of room rent that was several month pass due. Then theres the thousands of dollars that Kangas expected from his popular uprising in contributions that never materialized. Instead, he had to sell his car to even afford the 9mm he shot himself with, and purchase a bus ticket to Pittsburgh with only $14 and change left to his name. How depressing for Kangas, all of you Kangasites had most surely let him down... or did he blow all the contributions on wine, women, and gambling debts? If Richard knew who Kangas was, why did it take over 72 hours to find20 of 39 11/25/09 5:56 PM
  • 21. Who killed Web Warrior Steve Kangas? http://www.psnw.com/~bashford/kang-ev0.html out who his friend were and to start questioning them? If he had known who Kangas was or viewed him as even the slightest threat his investigators and security team would have been there in less than 24 hours, not 72. Security personnel are a whole lot more thorough than that concerning know threats, or possible threats, and all this information would have already been compiled. Been there, done that, I know the procedure. Therefore, the implication that the beefed up security and the investigation into Kangas life is some sort of admission of guilt, or that Richard has something to hide is the dumbest of all accusation I have heard from any Kangasites with the exception of the out and out lie by Gail claiming Kangas was shot twice with a shotgun IN Richards personal bathroom. (This alone proves that the Kangasites will lie when the truth would answer better in a bleak effort to coverup the assassination attempt bungled by Steve). [note: Gail has publicly denied claiming Kangas was shot with a shotgun, and lack of evidence strongly suggests that she did not. -db] Speaking of lies, BTW Van, the shop mentioned where the bullet hole was found was not in, or a part of the One Oxford Center as you claimed. "Near" is not the "ground floor shop at One Oxford Centre" as you so kindly twisted it. "Police also will examine any possible link between Kangas and a bullet slug that Woodyard said was discovered near one of the One Oxford shops around the same time Kangas killed himself." http://www.post-gazette.com/regionstate/19990317scaife4.asp Its a big city, with lots of people, and no connection between the two have been linked. It was merely a cautionary investigation, and prove that the Police Department had done a very thorough investigation. The bottom line is still suicide. Time of discovery and time of occurrence as to when the bullet actually penetrated the window, could just as easily been days or weeks. (You act as if Kangas had the only 9mm in town or the first time one was discharged in the city limits. You all must not get out very often). Cordially, Duane K. Kelly ====-+=-+=-+=-+-==== ====-+=-+=-+=-+-==== From: "Duane K. Kelly" user@dev.null Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 19:09:52 -0500 Van wrote: > Law of Parsimony as stated by William of Ockham > > Non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem. > > Van Any reference to this parrot as a going concern is null and void.21 of 39 11/25/09 5:56 PM
  • 22. Who killed Web Warrior Steve Kangas? http://www.psnw.com/~bashford/kang-ev0.html Cordially, Duane K. Kelly -- I do not refer to myself as a "spam hater", but an internet lover who has no desire to see it destroyed out of greed, be it in the name of business, charity, or any other so called "public interest". The Big Lie | http://www.kellyfreehold.com/spam/ Join the fight against Spam! | http://www.cauce.org Join the fight for ethical internet business! | http://spam.abuse.net/spam To reply directly to this post: http://www.kellyfreehold.com/usenet.html ====-+=-+=-+=-+-==== Subject: Re: Evidence of Kangas murder. From: jvanm@usa.net (Van) Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 02:21:23 GMT On Mon, 29 Mar 1999 19:09:52 "Duane K. Kelly" user@dev.null wrote: >Any reference to this parrot as a going concern is null and void. > As dumbass Duane tries to cover his ignorance with bluster. Its like trying to cover a pile of shit with a cocktail napkin. His next routine is to smear the dead....sing song. Van -- +=-+=-+=-+-==== From: see.my.sig@theBeach.edu ( Doug Bashford ) Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 14:54:55 GMT ooops, sorry not much new evidence in this post. Just a little overview perspective. michaelkelley@home.com (Mike Kelly) or is it Mike Kelley or is it Duane K. Kelly user@dev.null or some other Scaife toady Wrote: >X-Complaints-To: abuse@worldnet.att.net >Van wrote: >> On Sun, 28 Mar 1999 05:07:52 Doug Bashford wrote: >>> on 27 Mar "Duane K. Kelly" wrote: >>> >Irrelevant, there is no evidence that Kangas was murdered, Bashford: >>> So Duane, why would a respectable man hide this >>> relationship from the police for a month? Bashford: You never answered, Duane, or Mike, or whom ever you are. I notice you (and the other Kelly, (or is it Kelley?)?) both seemingly materialized with the Scaife-Armistead tabloid22 of 39 11/25/09 5:56 PM
  • 23. Who killed Web Warrior Steve Kangas? http://www.psnw.com/~bashford/kang-ev0.html smear-job of Steve Kangas. 530 messages since. Youve been a busy toady, Duane. Why did I check on you? Because you exactly parrot the Scaife tabloid. Then ooops! I did a search on kelly and found he was the one who INTRODUCED the Scaife-Armistead smear to Usenet. Mmmmmm.... Remember this next post quoting from Scaifes tabloid? Extract: ??- In <36ecaf7a.2053841@news> on Mon, 15 Mar 1999 07:06:17 GMT, Re: Web warrior Steve Kangas untimely death... michaelkelley@home.com (Mike Kelly) wrote: ??- So much for the Web Warrior. ??- ??- From; ??- http://www.triblive.com/news/rkan0314.html ??- ??- Tribune Review Regional News - March 14, 1999 ??- ??- Scaife-obsessed man sought him, but took own life ??- ??- By Richard Gazarik TRIBUNE-REVIEW ??- ??- Last month, Steve Kangas of Las Vegas bought ??- a 9mm pistol, a bottle of Jack Daniels whiskey ??- and a bus ticket to Pittsburgh. ??- ??- It would be a one-way trip. ??- ??- Almost immediately after arriving on Feb. 8, ??- Kangas went to One Oxford Centre. He walked ??- around inside the towering office complex for a ??- time, then hid out in a public restroom on the ??- 39th floor. ??- ??- Nine hours later, drunk to the point of ??- incoherence, Kangas shot and killed himself in ??- the restroom - on the same floor as the offices ??- of Richard M. Scaife, the publisher of the ??- Tribune-Review and a nationally known backer of [chop] Bashford: What a smear....if hed drank 2/3 as much, he could have legally driven. But wait. This tale was concocted a month after Kangas died. Is it just a random and expensive smear of a "nobody" lefty? Or just the ravings of a crazy paranoid? What real (economic theory) purpose might it serve? ("crazy" Time magazine 10-FEB-99) Follow the money, I say. >>> Why did Scaife hide from the police? >>> Why did his tabloid cover for him? >>> >Irrelevant, there is no evidence that Kangas was murdered,23 of 39 11/25/09 5:56 PM
  • 24. Who killed Web Warrior Steve Kangas? http://www.psnw.com/~bashford/kang-ev0.html >>> Thats evidence, pal. Not proof, just evidence. >>> Would you like some more? Theres plenty. Van wrote: >> There are also the new burglar alarm system Steve Kangas bought, >> the server he bought and the domain name that he registered in [...] A gun and burglar alarm purchased about the same time? What do they have in common, a critical man might ask. Defense. Of what? Something very valuable? Does Rex Armisteads intensive search come to mind about now? > This is true, it was not and is not a simple suicide case, it was a > foiled assassination attempt by Kangas to murder Richard Scaife. Isnt failure to report attempted murder a felony? You are such a tabloid parrot. Thats all you are, isnt it? A paid Scaife toady and troll perhaps? $12 an hour perhaps? An old Usenet trick first documented in the IBM/Apple wars. Paid trolls. Ok, Duane. Back up your slander. Ive been patiently backing up my assertions. With TIME or Salon magazine or a real newspapers quotes. What do you have besides the Scaife sleazy tabloid? And his AP feeds. Nothing? > With all the people that Kangas stole from in LV, $30,000 by > his own admission to his former employer. 1) Back up "stole", slanderer. > (which he lost by the way attempting to start an S&M web site), 2) Support "S&M web site". > owe in gambling debts to the mob in LV? 3) Support that wild assertion stated as fact. Oooops... Cant do it? All you have is the word of sleazy tabloid with 1/10 the circulation of the Fresno Bee? ("sleaze" TIME magazine Feb 21 1999) > I would say the new alarm system > was in regards to a fear of retaliation from the mob over gambling > debts, or a disgruntled employer or "business partner". Oh, would you now!? Well your unsupported postulations certainly need serious consideration, dont they? > If Richard knew who Kangas was, why did it take over 72 hours > to find out who his friend were and to start questioning them? Good point! It didnt take 72 hours. But the police NEVER did. Why?24 of 39 11/25/09 5:56 PM
  • 25. Who killed Web Warrior Steve Kangas? http://www.psnw.com/~bashford/kang-ev0.html > If he had known > who Kangas was or viewed him as even the slightest threat his > investigators and security team would have been there in less > than 24 hours, not 72. It took less than 36 hours (see above). Will a reputable man like you call me a liar for 1/2 day? [NOTE: later checking: it did take less than 24 hours for Gazarik to question Huben. --db] > Security personnel are a whole lot more thorough than > that concerning know threats, or possible threats, and all this > information would have already been compiled. Been there, > done that, I know the procedure. So it seems. 24 hours was a pretty good guess! Ooops. > that Richard has something to hide > is the dumbest of all accusation Its hardly accusation there, pal. Its documented fact. Perhaps you would care to posit that Team Scaife just "forgot" to notify the police that the police didnt have a clue? That they were investigating a random suicide when it was not? That even by YOUR words it was attempted murder!?:: > it was a foiled assassination I believe failure to report that is a felony. THAT, my friend IS evidence. No, not proof. Have the police pressed charges? No? THAT, my friend IS evidence. Call in the FBI. > "Police also will examine any possible link between Kangas and > a bullet slug that Woodyard said was discovered near one of the > One Oxford shops around the same time Kangas killed himself." > http://www.post-gazette.com/regionstate/19990317scaife4.asp Ah yes, THAT article. A month after Kangas dies, they write: Police seek to question Scaife in mans suicide * Wednesday, March 17, 1999 * By Dennis B. Roddy, Post-Gazette Staff Writer * Pittsburgh homicide detectives want to question * conservative philanthropist and publisher * Richard Mellon Scaife in a widening * investigation into the death of a man * who shot himself outside Scaifes offices at One Oxford * Centre. * A deputy police chief said interest [Image]25 of 39 11/25/09 5:56 PM
  • 26. Who killed Web Warrior Steve Kangas? http://www.psnw.com/~bashford/kang-ev0.html * in the death of Steve Kangas was Prior article: * renewed following published reports ....link.... * in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that Death sparks * revealed that Kangas, a former Army conspiracy theory * intelligence officer, had published * articles on the World Wide Web * accusing Scaife of backing a [Image] * right-wing conspiracy against * President Clinton. Detectives now want to know if Scaife IOW, Scaife had successfully hid the Kangas/Scaife connection for over a month! Oooops...it wasnt a random suicide?? If they had known that Steve Kangas had died on his enemys door-step, (or even a friends,) they would have investigated a whole new world... > Duane K. Kelly Or is it michaelkelley@home.com (Mike Kelly) or is it Mike Kelley or is it Duane K. Kelly? Michael Kelley or Mike Kelley? How about Duane K. Kelley? Michael K. Kelley? Jeepers, not Rich Gazarik!? laughingggg! It doesnt really matter. A toady by any name is still.... Anyway Duane (may I call you that?), the reason I wrote this silly ad hominem article is that it seems like its the only way to deal with those whose only argument is ad hominem. At least Right Wingers seem to consider it valid. In the future, I expect Ill give you the intellectual and logical credit your "arguments" deserve and utterly ignore your posts. -- Douglas bashford ironic quote of the day by: Kelly Freehold Anderson, in an attempt to get your home address, Owner: Duane K. Kelly wrote: "Here at Kelly Freehold we have a very firm belief, there are those that like to hide and yell great obscenities while pretending to be great... then there are those who will stand up and be counted. Those that are not afraid to stand up like a man...." and think for themselves, not merely parrot with out independent facts nor logic the thoughts of their peers.... ======== [note: that was the last we heard from "Duane K. Kelly" --db.] other evidence & ideas... ====-+=-+=-+=-+-==== ====-+=-+=-+=-+-====26 of 39 11/25/09 5:56 PM
  • 27. Who killed Web Warrior Steve Kangas? http://www.psnw.com/~bashford/kang-ev0.html From: mcgredo@otter.mbay.net (Donald R. McGregor) Date: Sat, 03 Apr 1999 09:04:31 GMT In article <37058a67.538950759@news.psnw.com>, Doug Bashford wrote: >>but the PC in question was a Compaq Presario, > >Citation please. Dejanews, Kangas post. -- Don McGregor |"Yes, vanity is a weakness indeed. But pride mcgredo@mbay.net | is a real superiority of mind, pride will be | good regulation" --Mr. Darcy, _Pride & ====-+=-+=-+=-+-==== From: shea_waters@deja-news.com (shea_waters@deja-news.com) Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 09:19:09 GMT On Mon, 29 Mar, "Duane K. Kelly" user@dev.null wrote: >"new server" (that turned out to be a PC) it is clear he could not What do you think a "server" is, generally? ====-+=-+=-+=-+-==== From: jvanm@usa.net (Van) Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 09:33:43 GMT On Tue, 30 Mar 1999 09:19:09 GMT, shea_waters@deja-news.com (shea_waters@deja-news.com) wrote: >What do you think a "server" is, generally? Duanes obviously in over his head with an anchor for a life raft. His next move will be to scandalize the dead. Van ====-+=-+=-+=-+-==== From: see.my.sig@theBeach.edu ( Doug Bashford ) Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 14:54:53 GMT Van wrote on 30 Mar 1999 19:15:21 GMT27 of 39 11/25/09 5:56 PM
  • 28. Who killed Web Warrior Steve Kangas? http://www.psnw.com/~bashford/kang-ev0.html [huge chops] Bashford quoting Salon magazine: ** Armistead, a former top Mississippi law enforcement ** official, was paid $250,000 by the Arkansas Project, ** a covert, $2.4 million operation funded by Scaife, ** to investigate and discredit President Clinton, ** according to sources and documents. Bashford: >THAT is what is being used against Web warrior Steve Kangas. Rex Armistead must be very "talented" indeed. Beware of stereotypes. >> Because the Scaife-Gazarik-Armistead tabloid article was such an >> obvious hatchet-job and smear of Steve, I have chosen to disregard >> From that I see three possibilities: >> 1) Steve committed suicide. >> 2) Steve met with Scaife (all facts and logic lead to this). >> 3) Steve was caught with his hand in the files. (holes, but Van: >*the case. I think your interpretation, that Scaife met with >*Steve Kangas in the afternoon is the most plausible. I dont ... >*Scaife to come in and take a whizz is simply ludicrous. A >*question Id like to know is whether Scaife has private security, >*ie., body guards and if so, have they been questioned. Bashford: Scaife has a reputation for being paranoid. Ive heard it said that only Pres. Clinton has better security. I doubt that. So draw your own conclusions. From what Ive seen of Scaifes slanderous tabloid, that alone would warrant security. Indeed, Im surprised you have not concluded that Rex Armistead is a big part of security as well as propaganda. I have. >* The fact is Steve was >*seen on surveillance cameras coming into the building in the afternoon >*and he disappeared until seen in the bathroom outside of Scaifes >*offices late at night. That is a fact. Also the camera system was spotty. From that, I can draw no conclusions, other than the fact you stated. However his observed behavior is consistent with wandering about till an appointment. Perhaps he went sight-seeing. Perhaps he had a few drinks with Scaife later. Others have insinuated the tapes were doctored. I have utterly nothing to base that on, so I disregard it. >* Another question Id like to know is whether >*Scaife has living quarters in the building. The building is >*listed as a building with both. >*Van28 of 39 11/25/09 5:56 PM
  • 29. Who killed Web Warrior Steve Kangas? http://www.psnw.com/~bashford/kang-ev0.html I think an executive washroom, a bed, a wet bar, and a small wardrobe, minimum, would normally be assumed for an office of any executive of Scaifes stature, (paranoia,) and means. >> Again, an FBI investigation would clear this up. My focal point >> would be: who is "building engineer Don Adams"? All assumptions >> rest on him. Give him a lie detector test. > >And if he dies or disappears? Or refuses a lie detector test? >Who here will call that coincidence? Newspaper quote: >++ According to the police report, Kangas made eye contact >++ with Adams, who asked him, "Are you OK?" The report said >++ Kangas mumbled something and Adams told him to stay put >++ and he would get help. > > "stay put and he would get help." That would corroborate the blood Adams spotted then. Some think he had already been shot once, others think he was being worked over and surprised, others just dont believe Don Adams. The question remains, why did Kangas need help? >++ Adams told police he went outside to radio for a >++ colleague. When the men returned, they found Kangas fully >++ clothed, sitting on the toilet, covered with blood. [To *RADIO* for help? Who is Don Adams? Maintenance or security?] >>>*+++++++++++++++++++++++++++ >>>*A routine check of electrical circuit breakers???? >>>*Say what!? >>> >>>++ building engineer Don Adams was making a >>>++ routine check of electrical circuit breakers in the mens room >>>++ down the hall from the Scaife foundation offices when he found ....Kangas in dire need of help. >>*There is no routine check of such circuit breakers. >>*I worked for [named] Electric Power Company for 15 years. Ooops. More evidence and logic to come. -- Douglas bashford ======== ====-+=-+=-+=-+-==== Subject: Re: Evidence of Kangas murder. From: jvanm@usa.net (Van)29 of 39 11/25/09 5:56 PM
  • 30. Who killed Web Warrior Steve Kangas? http://www.psnw.com/~bashford/kang-ev0.html Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 18:23:16 GMT On Tue, 30 Mar 1999 11:20:50 -0500, "Duane K. Kelly" user@dev.null wrote: >"shea_waters@deja-news.com" wrote: >> >> On Mon, 29 Mar 1999 "Duane K. Kelly" user@dev.null wrote: >> >> >"new server" (that turned out to be a PC) it is clear he >> >could not >> What do you think a "server" is, generally? > >The hardware, and software. Personal Computers (PC) can double >as a server, though prone to crashing, and security breaches, >and a very poor substitute. You say....and its only a red herring at best. "Clear that he could not" turns magically into "can double as" as if youre saying something besides just trying to cover your own ignorance. What next....going to smear the dead some more? Theres Duanes ass and theres a hole in the ground -- and poor Duane is left scratching his head trying to figure which is which. You might learn to read and try to know at least a little about a subject before you post. Van **************************************************** Is NT server 4.0 right for me? Author: Steve Kangas Date: 1998/10/07 Forum: microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup "Help!" cried the newbie. I am about to launch a high-traffic website. My ISP has told me I can co-locate my own personal server at his location to handle the website. For my server, I have bought a Compaq Presario 5020, with 128 megs of RAM, 6 gigs of disk space and a Celeron 300 processor. I have yet to configure it. I am now looking for appropriate server software. Would Windows NT Server 4.0 with ISS be suitable, considering all the above? Im also going to use FrontPage to design the website. Does NT server 4.0 come with all the appropriate FrontPage extensions or CGI to run FrontPage, or do I have to add that myself? (Specifically, Im wondering about all the usual capabilities -- counters, discussion lists, chatrooms, built-in email messages, etc.) Also, Ill be operating my server remotely from my house. What are the licensing issues involved? Do I need only one license?30 of 39 11/25/09 5:56 PM
  • 31. Who killed Web Warrior Steve Kangas? http://www.psnw.com/~bashford/kang-ev0.html What about the thousands of people who visit my site on the Net? MS literature seems really lame addressing these issues -- perhaps you guys can give clearer and better information. Thanks in advance, Steve ******************************************************** ****************************************** Steve Kangas Mirror Site http://home.att.net/~jbvm/Resurgent The truth lives on ****************************************** ====-+=-+=-+=-+-==== From: see.my.sig@theBeach.edu ( Doug Bashford ) Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 15:50:42 GMT Subject: Re: Evidence of Kangas murder. > TIME MAGAZINE 23-JUL-97 > "Richard Mellon Scaife, agitator > "If conservative thinkers like Bill Bennett and Paul > Weyrich are the brainpower behind the resurgent > American right, the horsepower comes from > Richard Mellon Scaife. For close to four decades, > the 64-year-old Pennsylvanian has used his > millions to back anti-liberal ideas and their > proponents. > ----------end quote A "Scaife" search of the TIME archives will find words like "crazy", "rabid", "kooky", "Larry Flynt" and "sleaze" to describe Scaife or his Pittsburgh tabloid. Check it out. http://cgi.pathfinder.com/time/ Bashford: > There are now hundreds of Usenet articles, perhaps 50 threads > regarding the mysterious death of liberal Web warrior Steve > Kangas. Was it suicide, murder, a foiled burglary or a foiled > murder? To me, the most logical is a meeting gone bad. > Perhaps the billionaire found something he could not buy. > Right Wing icon and billionaire Richard Mellon Scaife > has launched a smear campaign against Kangas with his Pittsburgh > newspaper and infamous (see Ken Starr) investigator, Rex Armistead > and is sniveling because the competing Pittsburgh > newspaper has written some contrary articles questioning the > death of Kangas. All this after a month-long news blackout31 of 39 11/25/09 5:56 PM
  • 32. Who killed Web Warrior Steve Kangas? http://www.psnw.com/~bashford/kang-ev0.html > while Usenet was buzzing about this issue. Its interesting > to check Dejanews and watch some vague ideas crystallize > as the facts become known. And its revolting to watch > Steves enemies escalate Steves going to strip joints into > being a pornographer, etc, out of thin air. > From the competing paper, the Post-Gazette: > http://www.post-gazette.com/regionstate/19990314suicide1.asp > > ++ Headline: Death sparks conspiracy theory > ++ Sunday, March 14, 1999 > ++ By Dennis B. Roddy, Post-Gazette Staff Writer > > ++ A former Army intelligence officer shot himself to > ++ death last month in a restroom outside conservative > ++ philanthropist and publisher Richard Mellon Scaifes > ++ Downtown offices, and Scaife has assigned a private > ++ investigator to determine whether the incident was a > ++ bungled assassination attempt. > > ++ [Image]++ Steven R. Kangas died in the > ++ Steven R.++ late hours of Monday, Feb. > ++ Kangas++ 8, on the 39th floor of One > ++ ++ Oxford Centre. > > ++ The shooting of the 37-year-old Las Vegas man attracted > ++ little attention at the time, and Pittsburgh police and > ++ the Allegheny County coroners office quickly ruled it a > ++ suicide. In fact, now we know why. Scaife hid his relationship with Kangas from the police for a month, even while Scaifes minions, Rex Armistead and Rich Gazarik had in less than 36 hours launched his smear campaign against Kangas and was questioning Kangass friends and Web friends. That Kangas may have died three to six hours before it was reported is at this point pure speculation. The Post-Gazette continues: > ++ Since then, though, the Internet has churned with > ++ speculation about Kangas. > > ++ For the past month, according to Kangas friends and > ++ family, Mississippi private investigator Rex Armistead has > ++ traveled the country, trying to learn what interest Kangas > ++ might have had in Scaife. Funny the police were not aware of Scaifes involvement. The police investigated it as a random suicide by an aimless drifter. So guess what they concluded? > ++ Kangas had recently sold his share of a gambling business > ++ in Las Vegas, and he ran the "Liberalism Resurgent" page > ++ on the World Wide Web. The page published extensive > ++ criticism of conservatives, and some of its writings32 of 39 11/25/09 5:56 PM
  • 33. Who killed Web Warrior Steve Kangas? http://www.psnw.com/~bashford/kang-ev0.html > ++ asserted that Scaife was the financier of a right-wing > ++ conspiracy to topple President Clinton. > [chop, end quote] > > One "conspiracy" idea: > 1) Steves purchase of a gun and burglar alarm are also consistent > with guarding something very valuable, including self. > 2) Scaife hid the Kangas-Scaife connection for a month from > the police. > 3) Scaife is acting irrationally regarding the Armistead thing. > A quick investigation might have been rational. > 4) Armistead has been given permission to open Steves mail, > documents, etc by the family. (I assume Steves email and > Website too.) > 5) Steve said he was going to collect some money from two people. > 6) Scaifes Gazarik newspaper smear of Steve seems to have been > fed by Armisteads "facts". > > It appears to me that Scaife is searching for something, and he > has a legitimate cover for this search. There are other > scenarios postulated regarding these curious facts on Usenet. > Why an expensive and rabid investigation/smear of a > "nobody"? Indeed. The same force Scaife normally uses against Clinton, et al. On Kangas? Why? from: http://www.salonmagazine.com/news/1998/04/cov_20news.html [chop] ** Armistead, a former top Mississippi law enforcement ** official, was paid $250,000 by the Arkansas Project, ** a covert, $2.4 million operation funded by Scaife, ** to investigate and discredit President Clinton, [chop] THAT is what is being used against Steve Kangas. > Because the Scaife-Gazarik-Armistead newspaper article was such an > obvious hatchet-job and smear of Steve, I have chosen to disregard every > word there an go instead by the three other (are there more?) articles > published by the reputable Pittsburgh newspaper. ( For example, I > disregard the slur that Steve was hiding in the restroom for hours.) > From that I see three possibilities: > 1) Steve committed suicide. > 2) Steve met with Scaife (all facts and logic lead to this). > 3) Steve was caught with his hand in the files. (holes, but plausible) > Again, an FBI investigation would clear this up. My focal point > would be: who is "building engineer Don Adams"? All assumptions > rest on him. Give him a lie detector test. And if he dies or disappears? Or refuses a lie detector test?33 of 39 11/25/09 5:56 PM
  • 34. Who killed Web Warrior Steve Kangas? http://www.psnw.com/~bashford/kang-ev0.html Who here will call that coincidence? Post-Gazette newspaper: ++ According to the police report, Kangas made eye contact ++ with Adams, who asked him, "Are you OK?" The report said ++ Kangas mumbled something and Adams told him to stay put ++ and he would get help. "stay put and he would get help." ++ Adams told police he went outside to radio for a ++ colleague. When the men returned, they found Kangas fully ++ clothed, sitting on the toilet, covered with blood. >>*+++++++++++++++++++++++++++ >>*A routine check of electrical circuit breakers???? >>*Say what!? >> >>++ building engineer Don Adams was making a routine check of >>++ electrical circuit breakers in the mens room down the >>++ hall from the Scaife foundation offices when he found >>*[...] e-mail from: Kevin OConnell lightonliberty@hotmail.com http://members.tripod.com/~Kevin_OConnell >*There is no routine check of such circuit breakers. >*Unless you are checking for a specific problem those >*things are installed and then ignored until a problem >*occurs. I worked for [named] Electric Power Company >*for 15 years. The first five of those years I was a >*field worker in a trouble shooting section. Part of >*my duties was assisting the lead worker checking customer >*complaints. Part of what I did was to take the covers >*off of the circuit breaker boxes and check the connections. >*Even in commercial installations there is no reason to >*take these things apart unless there is an actual problem. >*...But for insurance and licensing reasons these checks >*are performed by licensed electricians, not by the >*regular maintenance staff. [cough] Guess what that means? Do we have a pattern here? > on Sun, 7 Mar (milton brewster) wrote: > about: Re: Steve Kangas Found Shot To Death In Richard Mellon Scaifes > Bathroom > > > >Several of us have known for about three weeks that Seven Kangas, > >a very well-known and thoughtful Usenet poster on many political > >and economic issues, was found dead of a gunshot wound in the > >Scaife Executive offices in Pittsburgh, PA. Thats right: THAT > >Scaife-- Richard Mellon Scaife. > > > >* * * * *34 of 39 11/25/09 5:56 PM
  • 35. Who killed Web Warrior Steve Kangas? http://www.psnw.com/~bashford/kang-ev0.html > > > >Kangas was a Doctoral Candidate at UC: Santa Cruz and maintained > >an extensive web site reporting his well-researched academic (but > >readable) analysis of political issues important to Liberals, > >Conservatives, Libertarians, Anarchists-- and just about anybody > >who is interested in American Politics. > > > >His death is sincerely mourned by many of us. We also have many [snip] > > Many of us would like to > >know a lot more than the conveniently hasty investigations of the > >Pittsburgh Police and Coroners office finally reported. > > > >I invite everyone to go to DejaNews right now, type in "Steve ... > >milton brewster > >In article , msb@netcom.com says... > >> wrote: [snip] > Of over 300 well organized html pages, Scaife is > mentioned in two. > > Kangas multiple award winning Web site: > http://www.scruz.net/~kangaroo/tenets.htm > Kangas on Scaife: > http://www.scruz.net/~kangaroo/L-clintonrightwingconspiracy.html > > -- Douglas bashford ====-+=-+=-+=-+-==== From: see.my.sig@theBeach.edu ( Doug Bashford ) Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 14:55:03 GMT This article defines the rough Kangas case timeline. One guy gives his version, and I fill in the gaps. [removed to top] ====-+=-+=-+=-+-==== Newsgroups: talk.politics.misc, alt.society.liberalism, alt.fan.rush-limbaugh, alt.politics.clinton, alt.cabal Subject: Re: Evidence of Kangas murder. From: jvanm@usa.net (Van) Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 17:26:27 GMT On Thu, 01 Apr 1999 14:55:03 GMT, see.my.sig@theBeach.edu ( Doug Bashford ) wrote: > >This article defines the rough Kangas case timeline.35 of 39 11/25/09 5:56 PM
  • 36. Who killed Web Warrior Steve Kangas? http://www.psnw.com/~bashford/kang-ev0.html >Yes, four days after Kangass death. But the Scaife >tabloid has a news blackout on Kangas in effect. Web >friends stunned. Not a hoax. I wonder who talked to the family about cremation and on what day this occurred. If the story had been reported in full from the beginning, things may have taken a different turn. Van -- #E7D9CC 490080 Key words: Steve Kangas, Jan Lankheet, Robert Esh, Richard Mellon Scaife, Steve Kangas, Jan Lankheet, Robert Esh, Richard Gazarik Jan Lankheet, Robert Esh, Rich Gazarik, Rex Armistead, Mike Huben, Jan Lankheet, Robert Esh, Richard Gazarik, Richard Mellon Scaife, Jan Lankheet, Robert Esh, Rich Gazarik, Rex Armistead Jan Lankheet, Robert Esh, Richard Gazarik, Richard Mellon Scaife, Jan Lankheet, Robert Esh, Rich Gazarik, Rex Armistead Jan Lankheet, Robert Esh, Richard Gazarik, Richard Mellon Scaife, Jan Lankheet, Robert Esh, Richard Gazarik, Richard Mellon Scaife, ... So thats one path that can be walked. Not delved into were a great many things. Such as the differing accounts Don Adams gave to police, the evidence that Steve Kangas may have been shot twice, and perhaps twenty things that others found important that I did not. There are also some discrepancies, clues and hunches that we just dont have the resources to investigate, but are better left secret until the FBI get involved. Evidence is too easy to destroy. Also, I didnt mention the heartbreak and frustration of his friends trying to contact Steves parents to offer condolences, their efforts to save his Web site, nor the vast amount of time and energy people spent doing the footwork, nor the times when everything seemed to be a setup, or when we realized that we had left a great security door unlocked, and it seemed we were following all the wrong leads, perhaps bait in a tangled Web. I dont want to do this again. Since nobody in power seems to give a damn, the only things that might change now are that the failure to report a possible homicide (Scaifes claim) is illegal, or that his obstructions of justice were illegal in Pennsylvania. And if so, will the Scaifeburgh authorities follow up on it? Perhaps Steve Kangas was right again.36 of 39 11/25/09 5:56 PM
  • 37. Who killed Web Warrior Steve Kangas? http://www.psnw.com/~bashford/kang-ev0.html Some links. Web warrior Steve Kangass home page. There are also 6 mirror sites. Steve Kangas -- Liberalism Resurgent, some mirror sites: http://www.huppi.com/kangaroo/ http://www.aliveness.com/kangaroo/ http://home.att.net/~jbvm/Resurgent/ http://resurgent.virtualave.net A letter from John Van Matre. For all the newspaper articles and television transcripts of the Kangas case in chronological order try Jason Gottliebs page. My summery and extractions from the May 3 99 Washington Post front page article on Scaife, his mean streaks, history, and personality.37 of 39 11/25/09 5:56 PM
  • 38. Who killed Web Warrior Steve Kangas? http://www.psnw.com/~bashford/kang-ev0.html The full May 3 Washington Post article, Part two of a Scaife series that expalains Scaifes history, powers and personality: May 3 washingtonpost.com. Salon magazine article 22-Mar-99 describes Scaifes high powered dirt-digger, evidence contaminator, and witness-twister, Rex Armistead. SCAIFE-O-RAMA!! From SCAIFE-O-RAMA!!: Steve Kangas: Suicide ? Search the TIME magazine archives. Hotbot search engine gave 48 hits on Kangas but YaWho? gave only one. My home page.38 of 39 11/25/09 5:56 PM
  • 39. Who killed Web Warrior Steve Kangas? http://www.psnw.com/~bashford/kang-ev0.html Feedback: Taxes, why the Rich should pay more. This page is: http://www.psnw.com/~bashford/kang-ev0.html39 of 39 11/25/09 5:56 PM