• Sitecore is an incredibly powerful CMS and engagement
marketing solution. However, Sitecore doesn’t offer any
intrinsic value to your company or organization until it is
properly installed, configured and used.
• Out of the box, Sitecore offers no:
- Pre-configured anything: templates, workflows, caching
- ADVICE: Only work with partners who have an extensive and
flexible library of components and codes that will help you speed
your time to market
Jetstream is a slick demo to be sure. But don’t forget:
It doesn’t run in the wild
Sitecore spent over a year building it
EVERY FEATURE Sitecore has thought of is showcased, optimized and scripted
for a one hour demo.
Its great to see Sitecore pushing the envelope and demonstrating the cutting
edge, however sweet/cool functionality doesn’t mean there is a good business
or production model behind it for your organization.
ADVICE: Have a clear understanding of what drives your site’s value – do those really
well, then move on to the cutting edge.
Sitecore spent a boat load of time on front end of the demo site but the
content authoring experience is comparatively weak.
ADVICE: Especially for content heavy sites, spend time and money thinking and
optimizing the content authoring experience. It pays off in multiples down the road.
• I live in Toronto, our embattled and now selfadmitted crack smoking mayor actually told the
media “I wasn't lying, you didn't ask the correct
• Well, in this case, it isn’t 100% about asking the right
questions, it is about knowing to whom you should
ask the question to in the first place:
- Advice: Don’t ask Sitecore questions about how to build your
website. e.g. How long will this take to get up and running?
- Remember: Sitecore is a software company. They are very good
at building software. But they don’t build websites.
Why are you buying Sitecore?
Hopefully it is to leverage the power of a flexible, scalable .NET platform that dynamically
serves optimized and, increasingly, personalized content and media in a just in time,
measurable fashion that hopefully moves the needle on your business.
To do that, in almost every company I have ever seen in 20 years, isn’t going to be simple,
“cheap”, straightforward or NOT TOUCH THE BACK END SYSTEMS!
ADVICE – to get the real benefit from Sitecore it is going to have to, at a minimum, connect with a few of the following:
Some sort of AD setup
Your CRM or like minding application (AMS for example)
Your product catalogue
An enterprise search appliance
• As I write this, four of my Sitecore MVPs are in Florida
#sitecoremvpsummit to talk all things “best practice” because best
practices are a moving target!
ADVICE – a couple of things
- Hopefully your Sitecore CMS deployment is going to be around for awhile,
so that means you will see more than one left of decimal upgrade. How
true to the upgrade path you remained will be directly proportional to the
pain you will see down the road: Remember what Nietzsche Spiderman
said: With great power comes great responsibility. Customize with caution.
- There is only a right way for your organization. This is not a one size fits
Want to discuss this further?
Get in touch.