2012 has been called "the year of personal branding." This presentation covers several aspects of personal branding, from style to resume to online positioning. Enjoy, and unlock your own personal
2012 has been called "the year of personal branding." This presentation covers several aspects of personal branding, from style to resume to online positioning. Enjoy, and unlock your own personal brand.
1. Personal BrandingJames McCrae | nobrandlikehome.com | 01.26.2012
2. WARNING:This presentation includes the following*: Vanilla Ice A guy with a mustache ShamelessTwitter plugs (followme @jamesmccrae) No nudity *Proceed with caution
3. PERSONAL BRANDING
4. “Brand” = Emotionalattributes of a company = Friendly technology The value of brand? = The pursuit of excellence Product (99¢) = Adventure and exploration = Reliability Brand ($2.50)
5. Here Branding requires focus. You can’t be everywhere at once.This That There
6. Fun Of Montreal Outkast Beyonce The KillersTraditional The Beatles Innovative The Strokes Animal Collective Wilco U2 Elliot Smith Serious Radiohead
7. Companies have brands. Musicians and artists have brands. Celebrities have brands.You have a brand too.
8. Personal branding =• Deciding who you are and whatyou stand for• Focusing on your strengths andbeing OK with your weaknesses• Asking yourself “What is theONE THING I want people toremember about me?”
9. PERSONAL BRANDING
10. PERSONAL BRANDING
11. 1) OnlineThe easiest place to buildyour personal brand in online. Why? • It’s immediate • It’s cheap • It’s open (go ahead and experiment) • It’s new (You can start fresh - no peer pressure or expectations)
12. 1) OnlineJake Sasseville (cityofsass.com) Colin Wright (exilelifestyle.com)uses his website to promote his runs a website about business,various TV projects. As of 2011 minimalism and world travel.he is using the internet as an Every four months he lets hisexperiment in book publishing. readers vote on which new country he moves to. He only owns 50 things.
13. 1) Online ? Who used YouTube to become world famous?
14. 1) Online Musical genius Justin Bieber
15. 2) Social Media • Develop a style. • Follow the right people. • Use it for fun, informal networking. • Don’t just talk. Don’t just listen. Participate. • Sometimes, it’s OK to be stupid. (After all, it’s only social media)PRO TIP: It’s easier to meet people online. There’s no barrierbetween people. Use online introductions to build real-liferelationships.
16. 2) Social Media • Develop a style. • Follow the right people. • Use it for fun, informal networking. • Don’t just talk. Don’t just listen. Participate. • Sometimes, it’s OK to be stupid. (After all, it’s only social media)PRO TIP: It’s easier to meet people online. There’s no barrierbetween people. Use online introductions to build real-liferelationships.
17. 3) Resume Matthew Epstein launched this website to get Google’s attention. There’s no excuse for having a boring resume
18. 4) Style These guys have used style to get noticed and stay remembered Nick WoosterScott Seekins Theophilus London
19. 5) Relationships You are who you hang out with. Kanye West started Kim Kardashian became associating with Kid Cudi to famous by association gain an underground pedigree
20. PERSONAL BRANDING
21. 7 BILLION PEOPLE(WHAT MAKES YOU DIFFERENT?)
22. According to ‘AOL jobs’... 70%of new jobs are filled by networking with people within your social circle. (if you’re not connected you’re neglected)
23. PERSONAL BRANDING
24. 1) Define who you are CHOOSE YOUR MOST IMPORTANT STRENGTHS Mary’s strengths: • People person • Organized “Mary” • Good researcher • Good writing skills
25. 1) Define who you are RANK YOUR STRENGTHS (And build off this foundation) Good researcher Good writing skills Organized People person
26. 2) Start a website Having a URL is becoming as important as having an address
27. 2) Start a websiteHow to get started: Platform options:• Launch anything. Even a blog or brief bio.• Share the real you. (Resumes don’t tell the whole story)• Find your hook (this might have nothing to do with your job)• Develop online relationships.• Start small. Grow.• Don’t be “publish-shy”
28. Let’s talk aboutauthenticity...
29. Remember this guy? THE GOOD • First hip-hop single to reach #1 • Dated Madonna • American Music Award for “best new artist” • Over 40 million records sold
30. What do you remember most? THE BAD FAKE • Lied about his past • Stole the beat for “Ice Ice Baby” • Entire persona was a fabrication • Music industry puppet
31. Be Consistent Be AuthenticBut don’t get stuck
32. You’ve found your personalbrand. Now what? Don’t juststand there. Pivot. Your skill set
33. “Pivoting” is planting one foot in yourcore skill set while exploring newdirections. Side Experiment project Your skill set Learning Curiosity more
34. Suddenly your skill set lookslike this... Your skill set
35. LET’S RECAP... = How you show the world who you are compared to everyone else. = Wherever works for you and your goals = To control your reputation and be noticed. = With authenticity and without fear.
36. Don’t forget to smile!The best brands are happy, friendly, and fun.