Be the first to like this
Total Concrete Housing Technology Analysis
Through the use of common materials and methods, Insulated concrete structures combined with advanced integrated systems design can outperform existing methods of construction, and provide much safer and more comfortable living environments. Our approach is to utilize ICF (insulated concrete form) construction to its greatest advantage, by incorporating all of the structural, mechanical and finish components, in a manner that is cost effective, structurally sound, maintenance free, environmentally friendly, promoting healthy lifestyles as well as aesthetic.
Design, material and component selection.
The best design for the structure, (to ensure compatibility for design, market acceptance as well as accurate test results), is to be a small home complete with basement, targeting the low to mid income bracket.
Advanced Materials to be used in the structure include existing products such as ICF wall system, basement insulated slab on grade system, composite concrete intermediate floor system, High performance, dual glazed, low-E and argon filled windows, with exterior stucco and cultured stone systems.
New technologies developed include; A hybrid ICF composite concrete cast in place roof forming system utilizing both Formtech and Speedfloor components. A simplified radiant in floor heating system. Earth coupled geothermal water to water hydronic heating/cooling system, utilizing passive soils heat transfer methods to reduce loop lengths, and engineered soils to increase performance. An advanced air separator cleaning unit and fresh air energy recovery ventilation system complete with an integral mid volume air conditioning system.
New methods of installation including external vibration methods utilizing new technology. More efficient design and detailing methods. Introduction of new installation methods, which simplify and demystify the processes involved in the construction. Multi function or combined construction tasking, which combine two or more tasks into one. Lowered experience and knowledge requirements through efficient material selection, management practices, design, detailing, and scheduling.
Criteria included in design and developed products and/or techniques
Over the last years we have accumulated information and research into the needs of the building market place, and determined that the following base criteria for all products would have to be addressed within the design and/or construction of the building.
1. Cost. Overall, the cost of materials and/or labor would have to ensure that the current construction methods associated with ICF construction would have to decrease the total cost of the building by the offset cost of utilizing these types of products installed to current standards.
2. Efficiency. The material and labor components must comply with efficiency in design to reduce construction time, and reduce material requirements by a undetermined acceptable level. Material components should perform two or more construction or building functions per item, or combine several aspects required into the design, such as stay in place formwork.
3. Methods of construction. The methods of construction must simplify the construction process, allowing low skill labor to be utilized effectively.
4. Quality of construction. The Quality of the building must be increased to meet the new challenges of a modern world including Longevity, durability, strength, esthetics, operation, form and function.
5. Compatibility. The building must be constructed in such a matter as to be identical in form and function with current residential structures.
6. Versatility. Any normal residential structure must be able to be designed and built with the systems and methods, to ensure compliance with current designs in the construction industry.
7. Needs and shortfalls. The building has to address most, if not all, of the current needs and existing s