Maths and sports?
• Geometry: Equipments (Ball, Bat,
Stumps, Helmets, Cork, Cones..),
• Addition, multiplication, division
(Averages, Strike rates, total scores..)
• Specially formulated formulas for
specific results (Duckworth-Lewis..)
Maths in Cricket?
Matches: The number of matches played.
Innings: The number of innings batted.
Not Outs: The number of not out innings - not including times
when the player did not bat.
Runs: The number of runs scored.
High Score: The highest score achieved in a single innings.
Balls: The number of balls faced.
Hundreds: The number of times the batsman scored 100 or
more runs in a single innings.
Fifties: The number of times the batsman scored 50 to 99 runs
in a single innings.
Overs: The number of overs bowled.
Maidens: The number of maiden overs bowled.
Runs: The number of runs conceded.
Wickets: The number of wickets taken.
Best Bowling in an Innings: The best bowling figures
achieved in a single innings.
Five Wicket in an Innings: The number of times the
bowler took five or more wickets in a single innings.
Ten Wickets in a Match: The number of times the
bowler took ten or more wickets in a match.
• Batting Average: Runs divided by (number of
times out) = Runs divided by (Innings - Not
• Strike Rate: Runs divided by Balls multiplied
• Bowling Average: Runs divided by Wickets.
• Economy Rate: Runs divided
by Balls multiplied by 6.
• Strike Rate: Balls divided by Wickets.
• Fielding Statistics-
Catches: The number of catches taken to dismiss
Stumpings: The number of successful stumpings
achieved as a wicket-keeper.
First wicket partnership: from the beginning of an
innings until the first wicket falls.
Second wicket partnership: from when the first wicket
falls until the second wicket falls.
Tenth wicket partnership: from when the ninth wicket
falls until the tenth wicket falls.
• Test MatchesTeam Records
– Highest innings total. 952/6 declared, Sri Lanka (v India),
– Highest match total. 1121/19, England (v West Indies), Kingston,
• Batting Records
– Highest innings. 380, Matthew Hayden, Australia (v Zimbabwe),
– Most career aggregate runs. 11174, Allan Border, Australia,
– Best career batting average. 99.94, Donald Bradman, Australia,
– Most career centuries. 34, Sunil Gavaskar, India, 1970/71-
• Bowling Records
– Best bowling in an innings. 10-53, Jim Laker, England (v Australia), Manchester,
– Best bowling in a match. 19-90, Jim Laker, England (v Australia), Manchester, 1956.
– Most career aggregate wickets. 519, Courtney Walsh, West Indies, 1984/85-
– Best career bowling average. 10.75, George Lohmann, England, 1886-1896.
– Most career 5-wickets-in-an-innings: 39, Muttiah Muralitharan, Sri Lanka, 1992/93-
– Most career 10-wickets-in-a-match: 12, Muttiah Muralitharan, Sri Lanka, 1992/93-.
• Partnership Records
– Highest 1st wicket partnership. 413, Pankaj Roy and Vinoo Mankad,
India (v New Zealand), Chennai, 1955/56.
– Highest 2nd wicket partnership. 576, Roshan Mahanama and Sanath
Jayasuriya, Sri Lanka (v India), Colombo, 1997.
– Highest 3rd wicket partnership. 467, Andrew Jones and Martin Crowe,
New Zealand (v Sri Lanka), Wellington, 1990/91.
• One-Day Internationals
– Highest innings total. 398/5, Sri Lanka (v Kenya),
• Batting Records
– Highest innings. 194, Saeed Anwar, Pakistan (v
India), Chennai, 1996/97.
– Most career aggregate runs. 12878, Sachin
Tendulkar, India, 1989/90-.
• Bowling Records:
Best bowling in an innings. 8-19, Chaminda Vaas, Sri
Lanka (v Zimbabwe), Colombo, 2001/02.
Most career aggregate wickets. 502, Wasim Akram,
• Partnership Records
Highest 1st wicket partnership. 258, Sourav Ganguly
and Sachin Tendulkar, India (v Kenya), Paarl, 2001/02.
Highest 2nd wicket partnership. 331, Rahul Dravid and
Sachin Tendulkar, India (v New Zealand), Hyderabad,
Runs, Wickets, Overs…and MATHS
BATSMAN Out Bowler Runs Balls 4s 6s
A C Gilchrist c G O Jones b C T Tremlett 18 31 2 0
M L Hayden c G O Jones b A Flintoff 39 58 5 0
R T Ponting c A F Giles b S J Harmison 27 38 4 0
D R Martyn not out 68 81 3 0
A Symonds run out 73 81 4 2
M E K Hussey c P D Collingwood b A Flintoff 5 10 0 0
S R Watson not out 11 7 1 0
EXTRAS 6nb 7w 12lb 25
TOTAL for 5 wickets 266
• Run rate: to win England need to score 267 runs in
England's required run rate = 267 / 50 = 5.34.
• Batsman's strike rate: Average runs per ball =
(Number of runs scored / Number of balls faced)
Strike rate = Runs per ball x 100
Number of runs Symonds scored per ball = 73 / 81 =
Symonds' strike rate = 0.9012 x 100 = 90.12.
• Percentage of runs in boundaries: % of runs in
boundaries =(4 x number of 4s + 6 x number of 6s) x
100/Number of runs scored
So taking Ponting's innings as an example:
% of runs in boundaries =(4 x 4 + 6 x 0) x 100 /27=
Bowler Overs Maidens Runs Wickets Economy
D Gough 10.0 0 41 0
C T Tremlett 9.0 0 53 1
S J Harmison 9.0 2 44 1
A Flintoff 10.0 0 55 2
A F Giles 9.0 1 44 0
3.0 0 17 0
• Economy rate: Economy rate = Number of
runs conceded / Number of overs bowled
Gough's economy rate = 41 / 10 = 4.1
• Bowler's strike rate: Strike rate =Number of
overs bowled x 6/Number of wickets taken
Flintoff's strike rate =10 x 6/2 = 30