1. CREATING A REDEVELOPMENT AGENDA FOR NEW JERSY REDEVELOPMENT FORUM 2012 GAF Factory Site: A Brownfields Remediation & Redevelopment Case StudySouth Bound Brook, NJDeveloped by:The Matzel & Mumford Organization, Inc.(a K. Hovnanian Company)David Fisher, PP, AICP - Vice President
2. FORMER GAF FACTORY SITE
3. WHAT DEVELOPERS ARE LOOKING FOR LOCATION - Access to jobs, highways & mass transit - Shopping, recreation & cultural MARKET - Buyer profile / demographics - Condition of area, value, safety - Schools OPPORTUNITY - Cohesive political vision ~ regulatory partners - Proper redevelopment planning - Plan based on market realities - Realistic uses, density, layout & design flexibility - Appropriate use of recreation and civic spaces FINANCIAL - Property owned by municipality ~ ideal (limit eminent domain) - Acquisition assistance, if necessary. Especially where either infrastructure and/or environmental conditions warrant significant up-front expenditures - PILOT program? HDSRF funding? Environmental Infrastructure Trust?
5. SOIL REMEDIATION, CAPPING, DYNAMIC COMPACTION & CANAL BANK RESTORATION
6. CANAL CROSSING PROJECT FEATURES CLEANUP & ACQUISITION OF 12.5 ACRES - $8.3 Million remediation project with complex 4-party agreement between NJDEP, Borough, M&M and former G-1 Holdings (RP) REPLACEMENT, UPGRADE AND EXTENSION OF OLD SANITARY SEWER LINE TO ASSIST BORO IN LIFTING 20-YR OLD SEWER BAN 152 TOWNHOMES 23,000 S.F. OF MAIN STREET RETAIL SPACE, WITH 2nd STORY RESIDENTIAL UNITS ABOVE ADDITIONAL SHARED PARKING (with existing Credit Union Bank) CREATION OF NEW “WATERFRONT PLAZA” AREA FOR BORO RESTORATION OF 1600 L.F. OF THE D&R CANAL CONSTRUCTION OF PEDESTRIAN WALKWAY/BIKE PATH ALONG CANAL – CONNECTING TO TOW PATH PARTNERSHIP WITH BOROUGH & ELIZABETHTOWN WATER CO. FOR PEDSTRIAN BRIDGE REHABILITATION 3/4 AC. PARK PROPERTY TO SOUTH BOUND BROOK
7. PEDESTRIAN BRIDGE REHABSITE WORK CONSTRUCTION BEGINS (Summer 2005)
8. BEFORE PHOTO: Significant blight on Borough’s Main Street; abandoned for morethan 20 years; some buildings more than 100 years old; no access to D&R Canal or towpath
9. AFTER PHOTO: Remediation complete, 152 Townhouse condo’s; commercial site not yet developed