What are we learning?
Why are we learning ‘suspense’?
• Longer sentences
• Semi-colons; colons;
• Impact sentences
• Short (one-line) paragraphs
• This creates contrast
Last part of
How can I do well?
• Use a range of suspense techniques;
• Include scene of suspense in your timed
• Make the reader feel scared!
• By using longer sentences when setting the
scene, have a varied prose style;
• Create ‘spooky’ atmosphere when setting the
How can I be a clever-clog?
• Create a ‘Lewton bus’ effect
• Use a non-linear structure – a ‘flash forward’
(putting the end of a story at the ‘top’ of the
page, before ‘cutting back’ to the rest of the
• Visit http://www.baldworm.co.uk and read
about suspense and non-linear structures;
• Visit YouTube and watch ‘Bald Worm on
• Download a copy of the ‘Bald Worm on
Suspense’ podcast from the pupil wiki and
listen to it on your iPod or computer.