The Rock Cycle
What is the rock cycle?
- It is a model that shows how closely related all the different types of rocks are to each other.
- The amount of rock material on earth remains the same
- However, the rocks go through many different transformations
How does the rock cycle work?
- Igneous is known to be the primary (parent) rock on earth.
- As the rocks come into contact with weathering and erosion , pieces break off
- These pieces get transported and put together to form sedimentary rocks
Form into Metamorphic Rocks
- If these rocks or the igneous rocks are exposed to huge amounts pressure and heat they form into metamorphic rocks
Form into Igneous rocks
- If the metamorphic rocks or the sedimentary rocks melt and form into magma then they create igneous rocks
General Rule !!!
- ANY TYPE OF ROCK CAN FORM INTO ANY OTHER TYPE OF ROCK AS LONG AS IT IS SUNJECT TO THE RIGHT CONDITIONS
Proof #1 of the rock Cycle
- When we look at a sedimentary rock carefully
- We see particles of all types of rock and from all over the place
Proof of the Rock Cycle
- When we look at other types of rocks we can see that the rocks have gone through many different changes.
How are the rocks used?
- Granite for example is used to build monuments etc……
- Might be crushed and used for roads etc…
- Especially sandstone is commonly used in construction and building houses and buildings
- Foliated metamorphic rocks
- Can be cut and used for roofing
- Non-foliated (like marble0 is great for making statues etc…
- The Earth’s population is growing by the second
- Therefore the demand for energy and products has rapidly increased
- What is the problem and solution ?
- Right now fossil fuels is the primary source of our energy
- They are non-renewable sources because we use too much too quickly
What can we do?
- We can use alternative energy
- Hydropower (water powered)
- These do less harm to the environment than fossil fuels
The 4 Rs
- We can reduce how much fule we use
- Use materials that can be recycled into new
- Paper into recyclable paper
- We can collect and use what has already been thrown out