Genetic Applications By Rabbi G.
- ____________- any change in the base sequence of an organism DNA
- ____________- Process of making a group of genetically identical offspring from the cells of an organism
- _____________- transfer of gentic information from one organism to another
- Is the fastest growing fields in science
- Two very common areas if genetic research are
- Process of making a group of genetically identical offspring from the cells of an original organism
- This is great in agriculture
- Plants with great qualities can be produced over and over gain from one plant
- We have cloned animals also (very early stages of research)
- Dolly tehsheep was the first succeful adult animal clone
- They clone from the fetal ( baby in womb) cells
- Genetic information being passed from one organism to another
- This forms recombinant DNA ( re combine)
- New genes can be transferred to the organism through this process
Genetic Engineering II
- It has been very successful in taking humans genes and transferring them into certain bacteria
- They then let the bacteria grow and then treat certain disorders such as
- Eventually, they hope to cure many more disabilities through this process
- There are ways that scientist can improve, produce, and maintain new varieties of animals and plants
- Is mating ( getting together) two closely related individuals
- This method is used to make sure that the off spring are homozygous ( have the same genotypes) for most traits
- The drawback to interbreeding is the fact the organisms are so closely related some rare recessive traits to come out.
- Therefore people who interbreed do not continue with organisms that have shown these recessive traits.
- As we stated before selective breeding of plants is very common to get eth best plants and cops possible.
- Farmers would take two similar crops ( one with great fruit and other with other great) traits and put them together
- The plant or fruit would have a greater market value
- When two closely related species are crossed the off spring are called hybrids