1. UTILA The IslandWelcome to our beautifultropical island nestling in theCaribbean Sea, locatedapproximately 18 miles (29km) from the Hondurasmainland port of La Ceiba.Our island is just 11 km longand 4 km at its widest andsurrounded by vast coral reefswith prolific undersea life.The smallest of The BayIslands group, we arerenowned as being one of thebest value and most beautifulplaces in the world for scubadiving.
2. UTILA UnderwaterOn the island of Utila, whichborders on the Mesoamericanbarrier reef system, (the 2ndlargest reef in the world afterthe Australian Great BarrierReef) you will discover someof the most beautiful beaches,coral reefs, and tropical islandsunsets in the world.With over 100 different divesites to choose from, includingcaves and wrecks (such as thefamous Halliburton), scubadiving is always interestingand never crowded.
3. UTILA UnderwaterThe reef system is home tomore than 65 species of stonycoral, 350 species of molluskand more than 500 species offish.There are numerous speciesthat live in or around the reefsystem that are endangered orunder some degree ofprotection, including sea turtles.Most of Utila’s divers frequentsites are on the south side ofthe island, simply because theyare quicker and easier to get tofrom East Harbour than thenorth side, and also the watersare more protected and tend tobe calmer.
4. UTILA Underwater – North SideCJ’s Drop Off, at the westernend of the reef in front of TurtleHarbour, is famed among diversfor the vertigo-inducing coralcliffs plunging straight downinto the blue depths. As youdescend along the wall, watchfor sting rays, moray eels, andhawksbill turtles, and theprofusion of giant sponges andhard corals.Willie’s Hole is a dramatic opencave in the coral wall at around25 meters, with plenty of pillarand star corals to admire, alongwith sponges. Blackish Point is asystem of caverns and passagesin the reef wall at around 20meters, with encrustedoverhangs to check out. Thegentle current makes this agood drift dive.
5. UTILA Underwater – South SideJack Neil Point and Jack NeilBeach are both great long,shallow dives along the tongue-and-groove formations of hardand soft corals. At the westernend of the reef here, sightingsof hawksbill and green turtlesare common.Among the many similar divesalong the southern wall, eachstarting in around 4 meters ofwater and dropping to about 30meters at the base of the reef,Pretty Bush and Black CoralWall are two good ones.Despite the name of the latterdive, young black coral is foundall along the wall here, as areelkhorn and pillar coral, seafans, and frequent spottedeagle rays cruising at the deepersections along the reef wall.
6. All dive sites are located 5 to 30 minutes from UDC.Morning dive are between 45 and 55 min long, and afternoon dive lastbetween 50 to 60 minutes.
7. UTILA The CultureBecause of the 300 year Britishinfluence on the Bay Islands, Utilais a different world from mainlandHonduras. A safe town and funenviroment offers entertainmentto everyone, form an activenightlife to many water sports orrelaxing scenes.The island is mostly uninhabitedexcept for the small fishing villageof East Harbour (Utila Town) witha population of 3000.The main language on the island isEnglish, whereas in mainlandHonduras it’s Spanish.USA Dollars currency allowed aswell as Honduras Lempiras.
8. UTILA Getting hereLocated off the coast ofHonduras. You can arrive by airor sea.Sea. Utila Princess 1 hour ferryride from port town of La Ceibadeparting twice a day.Air. Local flights from San PedroSula (30 min), Tegucigalpa(1hour) or La Ceiba (15 min)with Aerolineas Sosa, CMAirlines, Island Air and severalcharter on-demand flights fromBelize, Roatan and Hondurasmainland.
9. UTILA Whale SharksWe are also famous for diversencountering the Whale Sharkmigrating, the worlds largestfish.The slow moving Whale Shark isa harmless zooplankton, snapperegg and shrimp eating fish whichgrows up to 18 meters in length.Utila is one of the few places inthe world where a Whale Sharkwill frequently pass close toshore, which is why Utila isknown as The Whale SharkCapital of the Caribbean!
10. Mango Inn LocationLocated in a calm residentialarea of town, the Mango Inn iswithin walking distance of allamenities and beaches and justa 5 minute walk from the ferrydock.Nestled in a beautiful tropicalgarden, all rooms and cabinshave the comfort you expect tomake your stay as enjoyable andperfect as possible.The complex is made entirely ofHonduran pine with large airyrooms and big porches, whereguests can swing in hammocksand relax by the pool.
11. Mango Inn Rooms & CabinsWe offer 5 types of roomsdesigned for the budget ofevery visitor.Never wanting to lose oursense of fun and adventure,we offer shared rooms forthe budget traveler andluxury cabins for our resortguests.
12. Mango Inn Cabins - DeluxeThe deluxe cabins are themost luxurious andcomfortable rooms in theMango Inn. They are locatednext to the pool and in frontof our restaurant. The roomshave a lounge with a fridge.They have a large balconyand hammocks to swing in.Each room is equipped withfans and air conditioned,closet, two double size beds.All the windows arescreened. Private bathroomwith hot water, Cable TV.
13. Mango Inn Cabins - StandardThe standard cabins have allthe comfort you expect,more spacious, morecomfortable, and moreprivate. Located in ourtropical garden, they arehidden in lush vegetation.They have large balcony andhammocks to swing in.Each room is equipped withfans and air conditioned,closet, two double size beds.All the windows arescreened. Private bathroomwith hot water, Cable TV.
14. Mango Inn Rooms - DeluxeThe deluxe rooms arelocated on both floors of ourmain building, they havepool and garden views fromour spacious communalbalconies.Each room is equipped withfans and air conditioned,closet, two double size beds.All the windows arescreened. Private bathroomwith hot water, Cable TV.
15. Mango Inn Rooms - StandardThe standard rooms are agreat value for every travelerand diver. They are ideal forcouples in need of moreprivacy and comfort, butwith the budget in mind.All rooms face out onto ourpool and tropical gardens.Each room is equipped withfans and air conditioned,closet, a double size bed anda single size bed. All thewindows are screened.Private bathroom with hotwater, Cable TV.
16. Mango Inn Mango CottageThe exclusive MangoCottage is a very private andcomfortable home. Its s fewsteps away from our pooland restaurant. With a bigliving room, and a big porch,its a fine retreat for a familyof 4 divers.The Cottage is equippedwith fans and airconditioned, closet, one kingsize bed and one double sizebed. All the windows arescreened. Private bathroomwith hot water, Cable TV.
17. Mango Inn AmenitiesOur restaurant and bar, TheMango Café, is situated in thesame tropical gardens as theHotel itself, creating the mostpleasant and peacefulsurroundings and offer ourfamous brick oven pizzas,freshly made on the premisesby our resident Italian chef.We also offer free wi-fi andguest computer, roundtriptransportation from ferry orairport and water dispenser inevery room.
18. UDC LocationJust a 8 minute walk from theferry dock on the main street,right on the comercial area withlots of restaurants, bars, privatebeach & supermarkets around.And just a 15 minute walk to theMango Inn.
19. UDC Our Shop & MissionAt Utila Dive Centre, ourmanagement team,Instructors, Divemasters, BoatCaptains, Biologists, andsupport staff are committedand dedicated to providingour divers and students withthe highest quality divingexperiences with an emphasison education andconservation.Our Instructors at UDC are allqualified to the rating ofMaster Scuba Diver Trainerand have a wealth ofexperience that you willbenefit from during yourclasses.
20. UDC Gear & BoatsWe have 4 fully equipped dive boatswith capacity for to 12 people. Themorning boat leaves at 8 am for a 2tank trip, it comes back around noonand leaves again at 2 pm for a 1 tanktrip.Enriched Air Nitrox cost $14/tank extraunless you bought a Nitrox packagewhen you booked.We provide small snack (cookies) andwater. Divers may bring their ownrefreshments if preferred.If divers need any assistance whilesetting up or disassembling their gear,DMs are ready to help. Divers areresponsible for setting up,disassembling, rinsing and storing theirown gear at the end of the day. Usuallythere are 6 divers per DM.There is private gear storage at the divecenter for your equipment.
21. UDC CoursesUtila Dive Centre offers everydiving course at affordable prices.At UDC we offer not onlyRecreational Scuba diving coursesfor the novice diver to masterscuba diver, but we also offer aprofessional training program forthose wanting to become diveindustry professional and qualifywith our PADI Instructor course.We also have technical divingprograms that include training toDSAT Tec Deep Instructor. We alsooffer a variety of non-divingcourses such as equipmentmaintenance and gas blending.
23. UDC Rating & AwardsUtila Dive Centre has been a 5Star PADI Career DevelopmentCenter since 2002 and is themost popular and successfulCDC in Central America. Notonly do we train divers frombeginner to Instructor, but wehave Instructor level continuingeducation courses (SpecialtyInstructor, Master Scuba DiverTrainer, IDC Staff Instructor) andinternships that add real valueto your training with us.