software testing on whatsappPresentation Transcript
WhatsApp Software Testing
• Developer(s) : WhatsApp Inc.
• Stable release: Android
2.8.1504 (July 30, 2012)
2.8.1914 (August 12, 2012)
2.8.2 (July 13, 2012)
2.8.13 (August 16, 2012)
126.96.36.199 (September 10, 2012)
• Development status : Active
• O.S : Android, BlackBerry OS, iOS, Symbian, Series 40, and Windows Phone
• Type : Instant Messaging
• License: Proprietary
• Website : whatsapp.com
What is WhatsApp?
• WhatsApp Messenger is a proprietary, cross-platform instant
messaging application for smart phones.
• In addition to text messaging, users can send each other images,
video and audio media messages.
• The client software is available for iOS, BlackBerry
OS, Android, Symbian, Series 40, and Windows Phone.
• Competing with a number of Asia-based messaging services
WhatsApp handles two billion messages per day as of April 2012,
growing from one billion in October 2011.
• According to the Financial Times, WhatsApp "has done to SMS on
mobile phones what Skype did to international calling on landlines."
• WhatsApp crossed its own milestone for the first
time by sending just over 1 billion messages in a
• Just how much is 1 billion messages? That is
41,666,667 messages an hour, 694,444 messages a
minute, and 11,574 messages a second.
• 1 billion messages a day is a significant milestone
• WhatsApp is editors choice in google app market.
Mobile application testing
• Mobile application testing is a process by which
application software developed for hand held
mobile devices is tested for its functionality, usability
Key Challenges in Mobile Application Testing
– Variety of Mobile Devices: Mobile devices differ in screen sizes,
input methods (QWERTY, touch, normal) with different
– Diversity in Mobile Platforms/OS:
There are different Mobile Operating systems in the market.
The major ones are Android, IOS, BREW, BREWMP, Symbian,
Windows 7.5 Mango, and Blackberry(RIM). Each operating
system has its own limitations. Testing a single application across
multiple devices running on the same platform and every
platform poses a unique challenge for testers.
Basic testing’s done on WhatsApp
– Boundary value Analysis Testing
– Boundary value testing is a technique to find whether
the application is accepting the expected range of
values and rejecting the values which falls out of
The most basic example for considering Boundary Value
Analysis on WhatsApp testing can be taken as there user trial
period example.The free trial period last for only one year .i.e.
if the subscription date starts from 18/11/2010 than the
expiration will be on 18/11/2011.
• WhatsApp uses a customized version of the open standard
Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol (XMPP).
• Developed for Third Generation IC Integrated
• The Greater bandwidth networks such as 3G or WiFi
• ID creation :
During installation,take userid as
Eg. [phone number]@s.whatsapp.net).
• Password Creation :
In Android: reversed-version of the phone's IMEI,MD5
In iOS: double MAC address, MD5 hashes it
• a communications protocol for message-oriented middleware (MOM).
MOM - software or hardware infrastructure supporting sending and
receiving messages between distributed systems.
- support asynchronous calls between the client and server
• developed by the Jabber open-source community in 1999.
• Main purpose : used for near-real-time, instant messaging (IM), presence
information, and contact list maintenance
• used by over ten million people worldwide.
• Message-Digest Algorithm.
• cryptographic hash function.
• produces a 128-bit (16-byte) hash value.
Security concerns Recorded
• In May 2011, security hole reported in WhatsApp which left user
accounts open for hijacking fixed by by Liroy van Hoewijk, CEO of
• Since May 2011 it has been reported that communications made
by WhatsApp are not encrypted
• On January 6, 2012 an unknown hacker published a website
(WhatsAppStatus.net) changed the user status.
• Until August 2012, Messages were sent in unencrypted plain-text
format, making the system vulnerable to session hijacking.This
problems were Solved on 15 August,2012 by blocking the web ip
• According to the hacker these are only some of the many security
issues occurred in Whatsapp.
A Quality achieved on many of these factors:
• Should meet the Consumer needs, expectations
• should achievie customer satisfaction.
• Make Consumer ‘s ease of use.
Done on weekly and monthly basis,
according to the different
platforms(Symbian,Android,Blackberry, iOS, Windows)
improvance by different updates & upgrades available.
plays a very important role
maintaining the position in the application market.
GUI Testing & Feature Testing
• WhatsApp GUI is differentiated .
• Eg. Android GUI is different from Windows .
User-Interface Requirements :
1.user-friendly with low learning curve.
2.quality chat room ,chat entry marked with username, time stamp
Performance Testing :
to check the performance and behavior of the
application under critical conditions -as low
battery, bad network coverage, low available
affected from two sides:
• server side and client’s side
carried at both ends.
Various performance testing can be performed on -
Load testing :
• concurrent number of users on this mobile web application
• A load test
• understand the behaviour of the system under a specific expected load
Configuration testing :
• tests are created
• determine the effects of configuration changes to the WhatsApp application
• Eg.making diffrernt load-balancing to the system with application running
Isolation testing :
• repeating a problem causing test execution
• isolate and confirm the fault domain.
• Ensures that the application is working as per the requirements.
Functional Requirement :
• communication between two mobile web clients.
• Sending and recieving media types
Technology and Language :
• The DBMS technology used is SQL.
• In WhatsApp, files are in SQLite format encrypted using AES-192
• MVC pattern
• color, style and page layouts through css
Non-Functional Requirements :
Normal use test:
• Use for 6-12 hours, check the battery drain
Idle run test:
• keep running on its main, home or dashboard
screen (off screenlock)
• measure the battery level at ½ or 1 hour intervals
Screen lock test:
• Do the idle run test in locked mode
• Check the battery drain
• Note CPU and or network resources consumed
How it works
• WhatsApp Messenger is a cross-platform mobile messaging
app which allows you to exchange messages without having to
pay for SMS.
• WhatsApp Messenger uses the same internet data plan that
you use for email and web browsing, there is no cost to
message and stay in touch with your friends.
• WhatsApp users can create groups, send each other unlimited
images, video and audio messages.
Features of WhatsApp
allowed you to send your location to your chat partner
or to your group chat.
It is useful if you want to share your approximate
location on a map.
personalize your group chat by attaching a custom icon
to your group
You can exit a group chat that you are in at any time
You can control group chat alerts and notifications
separately from individual messages.
• Media transfer : audio , video, pictures ,
• if you have an iPhone 3GS running iPhone OS 3.1
or higher, you can also send a video,but both
parties need to be running version 2.3 in order to
send and receive media messages.
• Message delivery receipts: in 2.3 you probably
have noticed by now that you see a red letter
attached to every message you send. Those red
letters are actually quite important because they
tell you if your message was delivered properly or
This testing is done by simulating the
complete wireless network.
This test is performed to find out any
glitches when a mobile application uses voice
and/or data connection to perform some
Memory Leakage Testing
Memory leakage happens when a computer
program or application is unable to manage
the memory it is allocated resulting in poor
performance of the application and the overall
slowdown of the system.
• The WhatsApp application should be able to handle
these interruptions by going into a suspended state
• different types of interruptions are:
• Incoming and Outgoing SMS and MMS
• Incoming and Outgoing calls
• Incoming Notifications
• Battery Removal
• Cable Insertion and Removal for data transfer
• Network outage and recovery
• Media Player on/off
• Device Power cycle
• and resuming afterwards.
Installation testing verifies that the installation
process goes smoothly without the user
having to face any difficulty.
This testing process covers installation,
update and uninstallation of an
• To get compliance certificate each mobile
device needs to be tested against the
guidelines set by different mobile platforms.
Eg .WhatsApp working efficiently on Samsung GT-
5360 having the platform android 2.3
Large program can not practically tested all at
once. There is large need for breaking down
the program into module.
• It is a process that checks for the
acceptability of the software.
• Whatsapp have launched its software on
platform and accordingly it checked what
different phones / devices can support or
• Whatsapp is checked and made in such a
way that it supports any image, video or
audio format while sending a content.
• It does not restrict you from sending or
receiving something that is not supported
in your phone or devices
• Each and every feature of whatsapp is
made after checking if whether it works
properly accordingly. So that the user
• Whatsapp is software that’s work on
most of the platform or devices like
Nokia s40 , Symbian , windows ,
Blackberry os , Apple ios , Android.
• Usability testing is carried out to verify
if the application is achieving its goals
and getting a fvorable response from
users as a usability of an application its
key to commercial success.
• Application testing requires a detailed overview of the
System requirements and Functional requirements.
• Testing application and making it to sustain in harsh
environment makes the application more flexible and
quality wise very rich.
• Based on products review upgradation is done this makes
application to stay alive and popular in market.
• Various robust testing makes the application capable to
satisfy every requirements and needs of the customer.
We visited following sites
www. Wikipedia . com
We refer the following books
Software- testing- principles - tools -technique .
• By Nilesh jaiswar