Gravity holds everything and every one on the earth
In Space, Gravity keeps the planets moving around the sun
<ul><li>Aristotle </li></ul><ul><li>born in 384 B.C. in Macedonia Greece. He completed his education in Athens where he spent twenty years as a student. </li></ul><ul><li>“ The Philosopher”. </li></ul>
<ul><li>The results of the study of motion by Aristotle are summarized as follows: </li></ul><ul><li>The fall of a heavy object toward the center of the earth is a natural motion. </li></ul><ul><li>Heavy objects fall faster than lighter ones. </li></ul>
<ul><li>Objects fall faster in air than in water. </li></ul>
Galileo Galilei (1564-1642) <ul><li>he used the telescope to make ground breaking discoveries about the Solar System </li></ul>
Nature of Gravity <ul><li>Gravity is a force, producing acceleration </li></ul><ul><li>On the surface of the Earth, the acceleration due to gravity is 9.8 meters per second per second </li></ul>
<ul><li>His careful measurements showed that the constant acceleration due to gravity is equal to 9.8 m/s 2 . </li></ul>
<ul><li>Sample problems: </li></ul><ul><li>A ball is dropped from rest by a little boy from the window of a three story apartment. How far has it fallen after 1 s? What is the ball’s velocity after 1 s of fall? How far does the ball fall after 2 s? </li></ul>
2. The time a male bungee jumper is freely falling is 1.5 seconds .
a. What is the velocity of the jumper at the end of 1.5 seconds? b. How far does he fall?
3. A juggler tosses three balls alternately vertically upward. Each ball has an initial velocity of 5 m/s. How high does each ball rise? How long does each ball remain in the air?
4. Vincent drops a stone from a bridge 25 m above the water. With what velocity does it hit the water?
5. A brick falls freely from a high scaffold and hits the ground after 3.5 seconds.
How high is the scaffold? What is the velocity of the brick just before hitting the ground?
6. A body is dropped from rest and falls freely. Determine the position and the velocity of the body after 2.00 s have elapsed.
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.