Transcript of "Commonwealthgamesscam 131228015309-phpapp02"
COMMON WEALTH SCAM 2010
WHAT THE SCAM IS ALL ABOUT????
• The Commonwealth Games is an international, multi-
sport event involving athletes from the Commonwealth of
Nations. The event was first held in 1930 and has taken
place every four years ever the games are described as the
third largest multi-sport event in the world, after the
Olympic Games and the Asian Games.
• The games are overseen by the Commonwealth Games
Federation (CGF), which also controls the sporting
programme and selects the host cities. A host city is
selected for each edition and 18 cities in seven countries
have hosted the event.
WHAT THE SCAM IS ALL ABOUT????
• There were currently 54 members of the commonwealth of
nation and 72 teams participate in the games held in 2010 in
India in which there are 260 events in 17 disciple.
• The Commonwealth games scam as it is known involved
large scale misappropriation of money during the
preparatory phase and conduct of the 2010 Commonwealth
games held in New Delhi.
• The total value of the scam is estimated to be 70,000 crore.
• Issues that were brought into concern were involved for raising
many political and administrative aspects that ruined the part of
Commonwealth Games (CWG) Scam 2010.
PARTIES INVOLVED IN SCAM
• Suresh kalmadi, the Congress party representative to 15
LokSabha from the Pune constituency. He was the Chairman of
the Organising Committee of the Delhi Commonwealth games.
• Sheila Dikshit, Chief Minister of Delhi.
• Robert Vadra ( Son In Law Of Sonia Gandhi )
• Jaypee Group.
• Since there was a huge expenditure that was being spend
into such a big Commonwealth Games, so there was a
complete serenity over the fact that though being spending
so much money, yet things were not utilized for the proper
• There were huge volumes of children and people being
hired on day night prospects which enamored the worst
part of using them up in CWG Games Project aspect.
NO PROPER ORGANIZATION
• Another important reason why there was a big loss was
poor support staff to look after the CWG Games
2010 schedule and places where there needs to be very
proper attendance and has to be paid on a regular basis.
• the selling of the tickets were totally much to
disappointed concerns since it looked like as if there
were of no need to comply with the regulations that
broke into CWG. While the general public is unable to
buy tickets, with all outlets reporting that all the venues
have been sold out, one witnesses nearly half the venues
empty for every event.
• With just 12 days to go for the Games, a new foot over-
bridge near the main venue of the Games, Jawaharlal
Nehru Stadium, collapsed, injuring 23 laborers, five of
• Actually certain projects like Airport Metro Express
construction delayed out because of various aspects and
were unable to complete the project on time which gave a
big issue again to Delhi Government
RESPONSE TO SCAM
• Kalmadi and Bhanot were sacked from the Organising
Committee by the Sports ministry on Jan 2011.
• Shunglu panel was constituted by Prime Minister
Manmohan Singh to go into the irregularities in the
conduct of the Games.
• After his arrest on 25 Apr 2011, Suresh kalmadi was
suspended by the Indian National Congress.
• Suresh Kalmadi who masterminded the scam has
refused to even quit his posts in Olympic Association with
tacit support of Congress party. India was humiliated in
world stage when World Olympic Association.
• The scam was unearthed by CAG even before the conduct
of the games. Presently the scam is being probed by the