Social Network Marketing with Facebook Pages & Applications
Social Network Marketing
Pages & Applications
President & CEO
Creating rich brand experiences through New Media Marketing Campaigns...
This presentation is published under the
Attribution Non-Commercial Share Alike License
This license lets others remix, tweak, and build upon your work non-commercially, as long as they credit you and license their new creations under
the identical terms. Others can download and redistribute your work just like the by-nc-nd license, but they can also translate, make remixes, and
produce new stories based on your work. All new work based on yours will carry the same license, so any derivatives will also be non-commercial in
120 million+ active users.
4th most-trafﬁcked website in the world.
Most-trafﬁcked social media site in the world.
More than half of Facebook users are outside of college.
Fastest growing demographic is 25 years old and older.
Facebook.com & Valleywag.com
Facebook Has 70 of America’s100
What Companies & Brands Are Trying
To Achieve On Facebook
Research & Driving
Typical Goals of a Branded
Building Brand Awareness
Driving Traffic to a Destination Site
Cities I’ve Visited
Creating a New Distribution Channel
Leveraging the Viral Loop
The Not So Good:
Travel Bag by American Airlines
That is of
Utility is Not Immediately Obvious
Does Not of Interest
User to Enter
Complicated & Time Consuming
a Lot of
for Each Entry
Complicated & Time Consuming
Has to do
Not Enough User Data
& No External Integration or Traffic
A Search for
Application Best Practices
• Don’t Look at An App as a “One-Off” Effort.
(i.e. make sure that the concept is in line with your overall brand strategy)
• Make Sure the Concept is Engaging to the User
• Balance User Value With Brand Goals
(i.e. don’t forget about the brand while you’re building the app and vice-versa)
• Carefully Decide Between the - Build, Buy or Sponsor Options
• Create a Simple and Easy User Interface That Everyone Can Understand
• Provide Incentive to Maximize User Engagement & Viral Spread
(i.e. keep the user coming back AND entice them to spread the word)
Application Best Practices (continued)
• Look for Cross Marketing and Cross Promotion Opportunities.
• Take Full Advantage of the Advanced Features in Facebook’s Development Platform
(i.e. make sure your developers stay up to date with new features Facebook
• Be Willing to Experiment and Be Ready For Fast Iterations and Change
(i.e. be prepared to learn from what your users are telling you)
• Create a Roadmap & Plan for Future Development - Time and Money
(i.e. users get bored easily - new features keep their interest level high)
“In a recession, social applications with measurable
results will pay off.”
Strategies For Interactive Marketing In A Recession by Forrester Research
Well-designed social applications are eective.
• Leverage voice of customer for increased word-of-mouth.
• Much cheaper than traditional media spend such as TV.
They motivate consumers in the middle of the funnel.
• Helps people in the consideration phase when they’re on the fence about purchasing.
email: nikhil [AT] socialspan [DOT] com
The Social Span Media logo is a registered trademark of Social Span Media LLC
Any trademarks mentioned in this presentation are owned by their respective
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.