Google Display Network – The
Vast Ocean of Possibility
GDN is not Search
Search: Your customers are looking for you (rivers)
GDN: You are looking for your customers (oceans)
YOU: You are a Killer Whale, your customers are your prey, GDN is your ocean!
GDN Basic Targeting
• Keyword Contextual Targeting
• Topic Targeting
• Interest Category Targeting (Audience Targeting)
• Placement Targeting
Hunting alone, these targeting methods can prove to be very ineffective….
Layered Targeting – Hunting in Teams
Single Targeting (Broad)
Layered Targeting (Specific)
KCT + Topic Targeting
- Used for very targeted campaigns; where niche target not covered by topic or interest
categories OR where keywords are likely to match to unrelated content.
- Optimize from keyword level, check Topics for obvious trends
Placement + KCT
- Where advertiser is very brand focused and wants to ensure ads will only show on specific
sites. OR when advertiser wishes to reach niche audience on large sites.
- Optimize placements first, then keywords
Topic + Audience Targeting
- Used when the target audiences interests are different from the content user wishes to
show against, i.e. Targeting business audiences on sports content.
- Set up one topic/adgroup, optimize by Audience
KCT + Audience Targeting (not recommended)
Placement + Audience Targeting (not recommended)
Placement + Topic (redundant)
Display Network Reach
Show ads all possible segments
Ad only goes into auction if all targeting layers match. Bid
for most specific targeting criteria applies
Reach only these selected segments
• Requires different approaches/strategies
• Takes time (and patience) to find your target audience
• GDN landscape is constantly changing, so also requires
• A variety of targeting options and combinations working in
teams will bring SUCCESS