1. An Identity Economy for R&E? Nicole Harris UK Access Management Focus, JISC Advance @nicoleharris Slides: http://www.slideshare.net/nicolevharris Bookmarks:https://www.google.com/bookmarks/l#!threadID=G_xI1FsPfc Pw%2FBDY5H3woQyZ_W8a4m.
2. Me• UK Access Management Focus;• Advisor to UK federation;• REFEDS Coordinator;• PEER Project Manager;• Shibboleth Consortium Manager;• Generally opinionated about access and identity.
3. 1. Legitimise the web as a place for scholarly activity. 1. Fix the right problems.1. Shift from constructing spaces to supporting actions.
4. 1. LEGITIMISE THE WEB AS A PLACE FOR SCHOLARLY RESEARCH
5. SPACE IS NOT THE FINAL FRONTIER
7. Image Scott Room – David White – CC attribution license.http://tallblog.conted.ox.ac.uk/index.php/2011/09/30/the-learning-black-market/GWR = Google > Wikipedia > References
8. THE COMFORT BLANKET
10. <EntityDescriptorID="uk001123"entityID="https://www.jiscmu.ac.uk/e ntity"> <!--This is a Shibboleth 2.3 SP for the JISC Monitoring Unit at the University of Kent.> <Extensions><ukfedlabel:UKFederationMember/></Extensions> <Extensions><mdui:UIInfo><mdui:DisplayName xml:lang="en">JISC Monitoring Unit</mdui:DisplayName><mdui:Description xml:lang="en">Restricted access to JISC Monitoring Unit data</mdui:Description><mdui:Logo height="64" width="350">https://www.jiscmu.ac.uk/static/images/shib/jiscmu- logo-350x64.png</mdui:Logo></mdui:UIInfo></Extensions> </EntityDescriptor>
11. 2. FIX THE RIGHT PROBLEMS
13. ACCOUNT PROBLEM• PROBLEM: My institution is taking a long time to properly register students and provision them with accounts, so there is a gap when students do not have the credentials to access online resources.• QUESTION: can i create ‘guest accounts’ with Shibboleth to get around this problem?
14. RESPONSE?• It’s up to an institution whether or not they want to create guest accounts within their system, but generally it is bad practice;• It should take the same time to provision a guest account as to provision a guest account, if not, the IDM system is broken;• If a student is not formally registered and provisioned in your system, they aren’t ‘eligible users’ and shouldn’t be using resources;• The provisioning process needs fixing, you don’t need to find a library workaround.
15. 10 IDENTITY METRICS THAT MATTER (NO5) TIME TAKEN TO PROVISION, OR DEPROVISION, YOUR USERShttp://www.csoonline.com/article/690704/10-identity-management-metrics-that-matter?page=1
16. 3. SHIFT FROM CONSTRUCTINGSPACES TO SUPPORTING ACTIONS
17. PORTAL SITE REPOSITORY(LEARNING) ENIVRONMENT DISCOVERY SERVICE WIKI
18. TWEETCHECK-IN +1 LIKE SHARE FOLLOW
19. HOW DO I SEE THE INTERWEB?
20. general information, widely available The Light Internet Advertisingtraditional media, online Mainstream Blogs/news open social targeted “niche” media social media blogs news private media The Dark Internet specific information, unlikely discovery
21. “We need to stop digital literacy training that uses the internet and social media to achieve pre-defined outcomes.”Dr Abhay Adhikari, http://www.guardian.co.uk/higher-education-network/higher-education-network-blog/2011/oct/10/digital-literacy-collaboration?CMP=twt_gu
22. Reflection + Internet = Digital Identity
23. WHAT VALUE DO WE ADD? Celebrate your studentyness
24. CONCLUSIONA proper scholarly layer to the internet, filteringinformation appropriately, supporting affiliation within the search engine and controlled and directed by the identity transactions of our users.