1. usually ‘contents’: the contents of a box
2. something that is to be expressed through some medium, as speech,
writing, or any of various arts: a poetic form adequate to a poetic
3. significance or profundity; meaning: a clever play that lacks content.
4. substantive information or creative material viewed in contrast to its
actual or potential manner of presentation: publishers, record
companies, and other content providers; a flashy Web site, but without
5. that which may be perceived in something: the latent versus the
manifest content of a dream.
When We Say Content We Mean
‣ Blogs — Your Brand’s Online Content Hub
‣ White Papers
‣ Misc Content (ex. Annual Reports, FAQ)
‣ Visual Content
– joe pulizzi, founder, content marketing institute
Content marketing is
a marketing technique of creating
and distributing relevant and
valuable content to attract,
acquire, & engage a clearly
defined and understood target
audience — with the objective of
driving profitable customer
& CUSTOMER AWARE
content is both
Everyone’s a Publisher
Photo via Flickr user FateDenied
Photo via Flickr user gruntzooki
Photo via Flickr user James Cridland
Where to Start
‣ Audience — Who are they?
‣ Content — What can you produce to help them?
‣ Channel — Where is your audience?
‣ Purpose — What are you trying to do?
‣ Point — What action do you want them to take?
I used to see my company as a ‘pool company.’
Today I see my business as a
My entire goal is to give more valuable,
helpful, and remarkable content to
consumers than anyone else in my field.”
– marcus sheridan, river pools
Though only 10%
in their social media marketing strategy, 32% have a
desire to learn how to use podcasting in their
marketing efforts and 23% have plans to increase
Source: Social Media Examiner
Video: How Would You Sell a Blender?
White Papers vs. Ebooks
7 Steps to
Written by John Jantsch
America’s Most Practical Small Business Marketing Expert
By Jeremiah Owyang and Charlene Li
with Christine Tran and Andrew Jones
Based on data from 140 global corporate buyers of social business
How Corporations Should
Prioritize Social Business
Corporations must budget spending based
on their maturity level.!
February 10, 2011