1. Getting permissions rightHow to do mobile and not annoy people email@example.com @marktxt4everMark Brill txt4ever.wordpress.com- txt4ever: messaging platform- Mobile marketing strategist, consultant and lecturer- Chair of DMA Mobile Council
2. Mobile. A spam-free channel? 22% of consumers 58% of UK included soft opt-in consumers marketing as spam received a spam SMS in August 2011 DMA/Touluna Quicksurvey 2011
3. Many people know spam as this ... 42% of UK mobile users have received this type of message3% of peoplereplied to itDMA/Touluna Quicksurvey 2011
4. ... but consumers worry about brands Buy it! Buy it! 71% were concerned about spam and costs 41% would opt-in where they had control Wha’eva 74% of people would opt-in for the rightDMA/IAB, 2010 incentive
5. Some brands get it right ...
6. ... but not everyone
7. Mobile is personal newspapers comprehensive another plus is I’m the only user where up to date as a laptop I share immediate information trustworthy with the wife! internet convenient on PC persuasive for me personalised innovative radio mobile TV undemanding entertaining mood setter I like to try new relaxing things with my new fun creative phone You have to get it right! - 98% recall of brand SMS* magazines - Good or bad, they won’t stylish forget you!Orange Exposure 2010 // *DMA/IAB 2010
8. Just because you have a database...... doesn’t mean you have permission How did you get it?How old isthe data?Are theyexpecting yourmessage? ‘How did you get my number?’
9. Be engagingPersonalisationis NOT a mailmerge! 150% higher response with MMS than SMS
10. Be useful
11. It’s not just who, but also ...What?Where?When?
12. Getting it right
13. Integration is key Email Press ads Direct MailWebsite Social media Social
14. The result?Weekly offersonly for Threeselected ranges offers per month Specific and Cut-off times broad opt-outs for SMS Nearly 1.5 million people opted-in to receive offers
15. Messaging. The driver for mobile Develop campaigns over timeUse test andlearn
16. Meet customers expectationsBrands need to sit naturallywith their consumers An opt-in is not a reason for endless messages