7. Ration 2• 70 lbs high energy/low protein corn silage• 7 lbs high quality alfalfa hay• 21.1 lbs grain @ $287.00/ton• 75 lbs milk
8. What is Energy?• ADF (acid detergent fiber) – Composed of cellulose and lignin – Lignin– indigestible – Relates inversely to digestibility• NDF (neutral detergent fiber) – Composed of hemicellulose, cellulose, and lignin – Relates inversely to intake• NEL – Net Energy for Lactation – Calculated from ADF Amaral-Phillips
9. Corn Silage Averages Dairy One Forage Lab5/01/00 through 4/30/08
10. Corn Silage A “minor” crop?• Only about 7% of corn in the U.S. is harvested for silage.• Historically, this has limited most seed companies’ interest in silage-only hybrids.
11. UK Corn Silage Variety Trial• Purpose – Provide unbiased data on common corn silage varieties for growers to use to make hybrid selection decisions
13. UK Corn Silage Variety Trial• Locations – Adair County • South Central KY – Boyle County • Central KY – Mason County • Northern KY
14. What’s Your Goal• Yield?• Quality?• Compromise?
15. Milk Yield• Calculated from CP, NDF, Starch, Fat, & Ash – University of Wisconsin• Per Ton vs. Per Acre – Per Ton • Highest = Best Quality – Per Acre • Highest= Sometimes a Compromise • Yield X Milk Yield Per Ton