That part of the Internet people don’t really know
English Course Level 4 - Facultad de Cs.
By Martín Pacheco
What is it?
• The dark web, the hidden web, …is the “hidden” part of the web.
• Not part of surface web.
• Inaccessible to convertional search engines
and consequently to must users.
• Not indexed.
What's in the Deep Web?
• Drug purchage, illegal pornography
• Company secrets
• Hacking sites
• Whistleblowing sites
• Lots of goverment information
• Data sets
How BIG is the Deep Web?
• 550 billon / 1 billon documents
• 400 to 500 times the content of the surface web
• No domain names, thus making sites hard to find.
• Google has indentified 1.2 billon documents.
• An internet search typically searches .03% (1/3000) of available content.
The Surface Web
How can you Access it?
• Download TOR (Firefox).
• Take precautions.
• Browse Websites on the Deep Web
Wikis, another indexes, some search engines…
• Very old, "90s style" looking websites.
• The use of a currency called "BitCoins".
"THE DEEP WEB: SURFACING HIDDEN VALUE", Michael K. Bergman. The Journal
"STRUCTURED DATABASES ON THE WEB: OBSERVATIONS AND IMPLICATIONS",
Electronic Publishing, Volume 7, Issue 1. August, 2001.
Kevin Chen-Chuan Chang, Bin He, Chengkai Li, Mitesh Patel, Zhen Zhang. Computer
Science Department, University of Illinois. 2004.
"ACCESSIBILITY OF INFORMATION ON THE WEB", S Lawrence, CL Giles. NEC
Research Institute, Princeton University. July, 1999.
"CRAWLING THE HIDDEN WEB", Sriram Raghavan,
Computer Science Department, Stanford University. December, 2008.