1. Composting Made Simple with Ag-Bag Environmental’s EcoPOD TechnologyA s the world’s population grows−along with the vol- ume of commercial products we use−so has the to-tal amount of solid waste generated. Attention to waste A g-Bag Environmental offers a unique and patented waste management solution that makes composting simple via a low cost in-vessel system using forced aera-management problems continue as new regulations result tion.in fewer landfills at greater cost. Decision-makers are fo-cusing their attention on recycling and composting as aneconomic and environmental solution to landfilling. P roven technology is used for filling the elongated flexi- ble plastic bag called an EcoPOD® (Preferred Organic Digester) with positive aeration and control. The equipmentW aste composition studies show that on average 60- 70% of the typical waste stream is organic materi-als and of that, nearly 20% is yard trimmings. This has is derived from 20 years of successful agricultural feed stor- age usage. The controlled compaction is used for all types of materials, densities, moistures, and particle sizes. Eachlead many states to ban yard waste from landfills. Com- EcoPOD® is adjusted with its own valving and aeration con-posting is a logical choice as it reduces material volume trols to individualize the composting process, yet use athrough natural biological action and produces a product minimal amount of labor and supervision. Our system is re-that enhances soil structure and benefits new growth. liable and efficient with capacities to match any require- ment. Ag-Bag Environmental offers a patented technologyT he influx of composting projects has ushered in a new set of problems,including odor complaints, with a high degree of process control.weather-related controlproblems, leachate control,blowing debris, and highoperating costs. Organicwaste is often compostedby piling material in wind-rows and mechanicallyturning the piles to achieveaerobic decomposition.However, the process con-trol becomes difficult andlabor costs are increasingly San Francisco exceeds a 50% diversion of organics from the wastestreamhigher. M eet the challenge of the increasing demand for organics recycling by composting organ- ics including food waste, yard debris, soiled paper, and cardboard in the Ag-Bag Eco- POD ® system. The EcoPOD®s provide the highest degree of process control while containing odors and leachate. Food Waste recycling reduces material going to the landfill and achieves the National Recycling goal of over 35%.Composting is a logical choice.It reduces material volume andproduces a product that en-hances soil structure and bene-fits new growth. 1-800-334-7432 www.ag-bag.com
2. Odor ControlThe aerobic process with the Eco-POD® prevents the production ofobjectionable odors while maintain-ing aerobic activity during the com-posting cycle. With the sealed Eco-POD®, odor containment is also as-sured.Leachate Control 2320 SE Ag-Bag LaneStarting with 40-50% moisture, con-densation is created as the feedstock Warrenton, OR 97146heats, eliminates costly re-watering, 1-800-334-7432while controlling liquid in the sealed www.ag-bag.comEcoPOD.®Blowing LitterWith all material contained insidethe EcoPOD,® there is no exposureto weather and the problems of wind Site Considerationsblown litter and pathogens are elimi-nated. S ite locations closer to urban areas, and the waste stream, is simple with Ag-Bag Environ- mental. This cuts hauling costs and ensures a better profit picture.Vector ControlComplete containment of material in I mprovements are as simple as a slope of 1-3 de- grees with a gravel or hard-packed surface. As- phalt or concrete are not necessary, but will im-the EcoPOD® eliminates health prove efficiencies. With a homogenous mix andproblems related to the exposed food blending of materials on an all-weather surface, aand habitat sources found with other better product goes into the EcoPOD ® and resultsmethods of composting. in a higher quality end-productReduced Site Area T he area needed to compost is determined by the volume of waste material. An EcoPOD ® requires one-third the space needed for a windrow.Composting in an EcoPOD®s sig- Eleven 10’ EcoPOD ®s fit on one acre and, basednificantly reduces the land area re- on our recommended density of material, equalsquirements by one-third. The ease 5,500 yards. The cycle can be completed in 60 toin siting closer to urban areas re- 90 days and the same area reused for the next cy-duces transportation costs and in- cle. With the potential of 3-5 cycles per year, ascreases profitability. much as 22,000 yards per acre per year can be ex- pected.Reduced Cycle TimeThe Ag -Bag Environmental system E lectric power (110v) needs to be available to run the blower systems. This can be sized and engineered at the time of site approval. Also, waterprovides a cycle time of as little as 8 should be available to the compost site as the mate-weeks. Curing adds another 30 to 60 rial mix should be 40-50% moisture going into thedays. Annually, three to five com- EcoPOD® for optimal results.posting cycles are easily obtained
3. Feed Stock O nly organic materials will compost. Some exam- ples of materials are listed below. Ag-Bag Envi- romental is available to help you balance the mix of your feed stocks for optimal results. ANIMAL MORTALITIES Wood Waste BIOSOLIDS COW MANURE FISH WASTE FOOD WASTE GRASS CLIPPINGS HORSE MANURE Food Waste LEAVES MSW MIXED ORGANICS PAPER MILL SLUDGE PAPER WASTE POULTRY MANURE SAWDUST Fish Waste CONTAMINATED PAPER STRAW CONSTRUCTION DEBRIS Poultry Waste WAXED CARDBOARD WOOD PALLETS YARD TRIM/BRUSH Feed Stock Preparation Yard WasteS izing – Materials need processing to 4” minus in size. Brush trimmings, shrubs, lumber, etc. show best resultsafter being processed through a grinder or shredder.M ixing – A composite mix of material needs to be balanced for proper carbon to nitrogen (C:N) ratio.This means a mix of greens (nitrogen sources) to browns(carbon sources). The best ratio is between 20 to 40:1, with30:1 being ideal. This process is analogous to baking a MSWcake.M oisture – Some materials require additional water to bring a uniform moisture to between 45 and 50%throughout the compost mass.
4. EquipmentModel CT-5 – An economical system that com- Model CG-610 – This compost system uses afortably processes up to 25,000 tons of material annu- cross-conveyor system requiring a side delivery unit to ally. Using a fill the Eco- 5 diameter POD ®. De- by 200 signed for op- length Eco- erations using POD ®, this a mixer system has a wagon or 3 yard hop- truck to blend per and can and feed the process materials, the approx. 76 CG-610 has a tons of mate- fill rate of 1-3 rial in about tons per min-1-2 hours. This unit is small enough to tow down the ute. Using theroad from site to site yet large enough to fit an indus- 10 diameter xtrial application. Powered with a 13 hp Honda engine 200 length EcoPOD®, this system requires a 70-plus(a diesel engine option is available) and features a re- horsepower tractor with 540 PTO to power it.mote control unit to operate the hydraulics. This sys-tem can be used by a single operator and has a fill rateof 1+ tons per minute.Model CT-10 – Designed for operators wanting Model CM-710 – This system uses a feed tablethe ability to easily process a high volume contami- conveyor that can be loaded with a front-end loader, nated waste rear unload or stream, the dump-trucks. CT-10 fits Also using the bill. This the 10 diame- system han- ter x 200’ dles up to length Eco- 150,000+ POD ®, opera- tons of mate- tions process- rial annually. ing large Using a 10 quantities an- diameter by nually can 200 length best use thisEcoPOD® with a 7 yard hopper, this system is pow- system. It is self-powered with a 120hp John Deere®ered with an 55 hp John Deere diesel engine and fea- engine and has wheel drive to move from EcoPOD® totures a remote control unit to operate the hydraulics. EcoPOD®. The CM-710 has a fill rate of 3+ tons perThis system can be used by a single operator and has a minute.fill rate of 3+ tons per minute.
5. Supplies HarvestEcoPOD - The EcoPOD ® is manufactured fromLDPE plastic and is completely recyclable. It is sold as a A fter 8-12 weeks of composting residence time, the compost cycle is completed and it is time to har- vest the Ec oPOD®. The EcoPOD ® is opened and the ma-complete unitwith all the terial staticparts neces- piled for 30–sary to finish 60 days to curean EcoPOD® or mature. Thisof compost. is a natural bio-The EcoPOD® logical processcomes in ei- as mature com-ther 5, 10 or post adds nitro-12’ diameters gen back intoand 200 the soil. Imma-length. When ture compostfull, it is sealed on each end with a special sealing strip has the poten-that prevents le achate loss to the ground surface. Dark tial to wit hdrawgreen in color, the EcoPOD® blends with surroundings, nitrogen from the soil.and attracts solar heat. Depending on the size used, anEcoPOD® will hold between 250-1000 yards of pre-ground materials that are mixed or blended with theright amount of moisture. Included in the complete Eco-POD ® is the aeration piping with all fittings, seal strip T need to here is nosealing equipment with tools, controllable vents, tem- cover theperature probes and starter inoculant. curing piles as the ma- terial is sta-T he Ag-Bag Environmental composting system pro- vides excellent control of moisture content, oxygensupply, and temperature. Free air space is controlled ble from the com- postingduring the filling process by density compaction con- residencetrols on the compaction ma- time.chine. The oxygen supplyis replenished by forcedaeration and eliminates thelabor intensive need to turn. O nce the compost is mature itTemperature monitors indi- should becate when the airflow needs screened.adjusting to maintain proper Screening cre- temperatures. Moisture is adjusted at ates a more uni- time of filling or added to the total form end prod- mixture upon blending. We maintain uct and any consistent moisture and temperature overs can be throughout the process while other reintroduced systems do not. The compost matrix into the next is sufficient in size to maintain heat, EcoPOD®. even in cold climates. Considered an in-vessel system, the Ag-Bag Envi- romental composting system is eas- ily permitted.
6. Commonly Asked Questions“How can you compost without turning?” “What limitations are there to the materials that can go into the EcoPOD®?”“Turning is used as a method of introducing oxygen tothe materials because oxygen is required to create the “All organic materials can be composted in an Eco-heat necessary to obtain mandated temperature. The POD®. The quality of the final compost is deter-Ag-Bag Environmental system uses forced aeration mined by the feed stock and balance of the mix ofand eliminates the labor- intensive turning.” materials that go into the EcoPOD®. Contamination by inorganic materials will effect the final compost quality, but any material sized to our specification can be put into the EcoPOD®.”“How can you control temperatures inside the Eco-POD® ?”“With our patented aeration system, temperature con- “What kind of difficulties are there to permitting thetrol becomes simple and we eliminate weather factors. Ag-Bag Environmental System?”There are vent valves installed at twelve locations onthe EcoPOD® . If temperature or oxygen levels inside “Because the EcoPOD® completely contains thethe EcoPOD® go higher than optimal, the air flow is waste materials, controlling odors and leachate, theadjusted, causing the oxygen levels to drop and the Ag-Bag Environmental composting system is viewedcompost to cool. If the temperatures become lower very favorably and has been permitted under some ofthan optimal, the air flow is increased causing the oxy- the most stringent requirements. Additionally, it isgen levels to increase and the compost will heat up. possible to site near urban areas to reduce transporta-The temperatures are easy to control, and are not ef- tion costs with the patented in- vessel system.”fected by ambient temperature.” Ag-Bag Environmental 2002 All Rights Reserved