1. Buckle Up!A YOUTH-Turn It Around ProjectCreated by the Howells-Clarkson FCCLA Chapter
2. Traffic Safety Adversity Addressed• Meet Cera… *Cera was involved in a serious accident when she lost con- trol of her car on a gravel road. *She was wearing a seat belt and it saved her life! *To turn adversity into action, our FCCLA Chapter is promoting seat belt use in our community.
3. Peer To Peer Education Efforts• Seat belt surveys at our school• Presentation for pre-school students• Seat belt program for elementary students• Video program for jr. high students• Assembly program for students• Program for community groups and parents• Posters and displays in our school and community
4. Use of the YOUTH-turn Resource• YOUTH-Turn CD was used in planning and implementing our project.• YOUTH-Turn t-shirts were worn by the Project Committee.• YOUTH-Turn buttons, wrist bands, pens, key chains, tattoos, and pins were used for promotion of the project.
5. Collaboration and Outreach Efforts• Our FCCLA Chapter collaborated with teachers, staff and administrators in our school.• We worked along with local and area law enforcement, community organizations, parents, the local media.• We invited a guest speaker to our school.
6. Resources Used and Created Our chapter used:• Resources provided by YOUTH-Turn.• Resources from the Nebraska Office of Highway Traffic Safety• Resources from the FCCLA Families Acting for Community Traffic Safety Project• We created project presentations and activities, as well as publicity to promote our project
7. Media Efforts and Promotion of Youth Traffic Safety• We wrote articles for the local school newpaper, school newsletter and web page.• We promoted our project in the local and area newspapers.• We promoted seat belt use through public service announcements on the local radio station.• We used promotional posters, displays and items to promote seat belt use.
8. Buckle Up Project Photos Community ProgramSchool Assembly Program for Elementary Students
9. Buckle Up Project Photos Seat Belt Survey in the school parking lot Buckle Up Presentation forPreschool Students
10. Buckle Up Summary• This project focused on turning adversity in action by promoting seat belt use in our school and community.• Seat belts save lives…our friend Cera is with us today because she wore her seat belt. Remember… Buckle up every time you ride or drive!