1. How the hell could I do PRs over Social Media? By Alan Fung Talent Communications Limited
2. Well, first of all, what the hell is Social Media ?
3. “ Social media is like teen sex. Everyone wants to do it. Nobody knows how. When it’s ﬁnally done there is surprise it’s not better.” Avinash Kaushik, Analytics Evangelist, Google
4. Hmmm…… not exactly…… (luckily)
5. Social media is an umbrella term that defines the various activities that integrate technology, social interaction, and the construction of words, pictures, videos and audio. http://www.wikipedia.org
6. Social media is people having conversations online .
7. So f**k what?! Why should I care?
8. Well, that because…… 2/3 of the global internet population visit social networks. Visiting social sites is now the 4th most popular online activity - ahead of personal email. Because time spent on social networks is growing at 3x the overall internet rate, accounting for ~10% of all internet time. 13 hours - the amount of video uploaded to YouTube every minute. 412.3 Years - the length of time it would take to view every YouTube video. 100,000,000 - the number of YouTube videos viewed per day. 13,000,000 - the number of articles available on Wikipedia. 3,600,000,000 - the number of photos archived on flickr.com as of June 2009. That’s roughly 1 photo per every 2 people on the planet. 1382% - the monthly growth rate of twitter users from January to February 2009. 3,000,000 - the average number of tweets per day on twitter.com 5,000,000,000 - the number of minutes spent on Facebook each day. 1,000,000,000 - the amount of content (web links, news stories, blog posts, notes, photos, etc.) Shared each week on Facebook.
9. In a nutshell…… If were a country, it would be the 8th most populated in the world, just ahead of Japan. Mark zuckerberg, january 7, 2009
10. Moreover…… 93% of social media users believe a company should have a presence in social media. Cone, Business in Social Media Study, September 2008
11. Hurray!! Tell me how to open a Facebook group now so that I can bomb the crap out of my prospects with my messages!
12. Well, not that easy…… Believe it or not, that doesn’t mean that 93% of social media users think companies should treat social media as yet another channel for broadcasting bullsh*t .
13. Oops! Then how can I run my PR campaign over social media?
14. First of all, forget about the word Campaign
15. “ Marketers don't understand channels where you have to talk and listen at the same time... This couldn't be more obvious than with email. Your company has a chance to turn its email list into a two-way communication. Except that most mass emails from companies are "do not reply". "We want to talk to you," they say. "But we don't want to hear back from you. Unless you want to place an order, and if so click here." Josh Bernoff, Why marketers have trouble with full-duplex social technology, June 30, 2009
16. Conversation is the key of social media.
17. It’s supposed to be a dialogue , not a monologue .
18. These are the places where you can start your conversations (just to name a few).
19. In your conversation, never forget the basic rules……
20. #1 Listen
21. #2 Engage
22. #3 Measure
23. Since the conversation is about them, not you, so get off your horse!
24. Peoples know exactly what to do if they don’t agree with you or simply find your conversation is boring …
25. And there is one catch……
26. Don’t assume social media is the answer to everything! If your product or plan sucks, social media won’t fix it!