Fixing accessibility on the Web
one site at a time
● The web - important for all:
○ learn, work, play, shop...
● Many sites place barriers in the way of those
● Bad for the visitor - equality, usability
● Bad for the site - lost customers, reputation,
Why Accessify Wiki?
There are laws/ guidelines: ADA, WCAG 2.0...
Educators for Web developers/ designers
Lobbyists, charities, consultants
There are other fixers: Fix the Web, a11y bugs
Accessify Wiki complements these efforts
● Anyone can create accessibility "fixes" for
any Web site
● End-users auto-magically employ fixes
during normal browsing
● Tools to help site owners/developers use
fixes in their site
1. Anyone can co-create fixes
Accessibility fixes created & stored in a Wiki
CSS-selector/ jQuery-like* selector syntax
We don't rely on programmers ;)
We DO need interested
& passionate people
Screen shot of http://accessify.wikia.
Future: browser add-ons
Use (most) browsers
Use (any) assistive technology - screen
Screen shot of http://en.wikipedia.
3. Site owners/developers
● Future: preview fixes on an example page
● You should plan accessibility from project
● For example, BS 8878, PAS 78,
● Accessify Wiki can NOT fix all problems
You are NOT off the hook!!