1. SAME-SEX MARRIAGE KNOW WHERE THEY STAND | 2012 AN INFOGRAPHIC BY MICAH GARCIA
2. ROMNEY“At a certain point Ive justconcluded that forme, personally, it is important forme to go ahead and affirm that Ithink same-sex couples should beable to get married.”-President Barack Obama to ABC’sRobin Roberts on May 9th, 2012 EVOLUTION MONEY HISTORY POWER CURRENT FACTS PLATFORM AUDIENCE
3. OBAMA"I indicated my view, which is I donot favor marriage betweenpeople of the same gender, and Ido not favor civil unions if theyare identical to marriage otherthan by name.”-Mitt Romney to KDVR’S JeremyHubbard on May 9th, 2012 MONEY EVOLUTION POWER HISTORY FACTS CURRENT AUDIENCE PLATFORM
4. OBAMA HISTORY ROMNEY1950’sHomosexuality is decriminalized in Sweden 1980’sand Greece, though it remains a criminal act The term AIDS is coined in 1982.in much of the world. LGBT rights groups Gerry Studds becomes the firstform, foreshadowing a more organized openly gay congressman. The AIDSmovement. Coalition (ACT-UP) is formed in PSA VIDEO1960’s 1987. STUDDS AIDS ACT-UPHomosexuality statutes are incrementallydismantled in some states in the U.S. The 1990’sStonewall riots occur in New York. TheMattachine Society, amongst others, stage The red ribbon becomes a symbol for theprotests and sit-ins that catalyze the LGBT fight against AIDS. “Don’t ask, don’t tell” isrights movement. STONEWALL established. Brandon Teena is murdered. TIMELINE The Defense of Marriage Act is passed. Civil1970’s Unions become legal in California.Pride celebrations are held in New York and DSM II DON’T WHITE ASK, DON’Tother major cities in the U.S. Homosexuality MILK NIGHT TELLis removed from the DSM II. The White Night TEENAriots happen in San Francisco. Harvey Milk isassassinated. Harry Hay organizes groups of HAY NYC PRIDE DOMAradical homosexual rights advocates.
5. OBAMA AUDIENCE ROMNEYEvidence indicates that Obama’s affirmation of his support for same-sex marriage will resonate strongly with young voters, women, andresidents of the Northeast and West coasts. These groups were alsointegral to Obama’s 2008 victory, meaning that his official stance willlikely appeal to his base. This is particularly important since recentpolling has shown a near-even split in support amongst theaforementioned demographic. However, by taking this stance Obamaalso risks loosing support from Latinos and African Americans;demographics that were critical to Obama in 2008. YOUNG WAINING DEMOGRAPHICS WOMEN VOTERS SUPPORT
6. OBAMA AUDIENCE ROMNEYMitt Romney’s anti-marriage / anti-civil union stancetowards same-sex marriage will likely galvanize his base. REPUBLICANSAccording to recent polls, Republicans are overwhelminglyopposed to same-sex unions, as are religious THE ELDERLYfundamentalists and the elderly. These demographics havehelped republicans win in the past, making this stance RELIGIOUSpotentially pivotal in Romney’s campaign. However, this FUNDAMENTALISMstance might also alienate women and young voters;demographics which were firmly behind Obama in 2008.
7. OBAMA CURRENT EVENTS ROMNEY2005-2008: New York recognizes all same-sex 2009: The Westboro Baptist Churchmarriages, but does not legalize marriage. New protests at the 2009 Academy Awards,Jersey, Iowa, Washington, Oregon, Connecticut, a likely in response to the biographical filmnd California legalize same-sex marriages and/or Milk which was nominated for eight (andcivil unions. MORE won two) Oscars. The protest sparked widespread outrage. MORE2009: Washington, Wisconsin, Washington D.C.,Nevada, and Vermont legalize same-sexmarriages and/or civil unions. MORE2012: Obama affirms his support forsame-sex marriage. North Carolina bans 2010-2011: California overturns same-sexsame-sex marriage. marriages (proposition 8), but upholds the legality of existing marriages. New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Delaware, Hawaii, and NC OBAMA Illinois legalize same-sex marriages and/or civil unions. PROP 8
8. OBAMA FACTS ROMNEYThe Federal Defense of Marriage Act, signed Vermont, Newinto law on Sept. 21, 1996, defines marriage Hampshire, Massachusetts, Connecticut,as being between one man and one woman. New York, Washington D.C., Iowa, andThis means that same-sex marriages are not Washington currently allow same-sexrecognized at the federal level in any capacity marriages. Maine, Rhodeand states reserve the right to not recognize Island, Maryland, Delaware, Newsame-sex marriages performed in anotherstate. Jersey, Illinois, Wisconsin, Colorado, Calif ornia, Nevada, and Oregon allow civil FULL TEXT unions or domestic partnerships.A 2012 Gallup poll shows that half of MAPAmericans support same-sex Denmark, Holland, Belgium, Canada, Spain, Southmarriage. DATA Africa, Norway, Sweden, Argentina, Iceland, and Portugal have legalized same-sex marriage.Based on data collected by the Pew MOREResearch Center, public opinion hasshifted in favor of gay marriage since 48% of Democrats and 24% of Republicans2008. support same-sex marriage rights, while each DATA party’s support has grown since in recent years. SAME-SEX V. DATA HETEROSEXUAL COUPLES
9. OBAMA PRESIDENTIAL POWER ROMNEYNo president, current or future, has the power toallow or ban same-sex marriage across all 50states. However, the president does have a greatdeal of influence over the legislative system andcan push for legislation on same-sex marriage.Additionally, the president can greatly influencethe public perception of same-sex marriage. MORE Constitutional amendments have been proposed as an option for expanding same- sex marriage rights by both Democrats and Republicans. Though this is an option, constitutional amendments are inherently difficult to pass. MORERemember: Due to the many roles 7 ROLESthat the president must fill, it is hardto quantify the power that he has POWERSover any one issue (the links to theright should help). INFLUENCE
10. OBAMA MONEY ROMNEY Campaign Contributions by SOURCE Mitt Romney $250 Same-Sex Interest GroupsBarack Obama $41,740 Over INTEREST MORE GROUPS BY AMOUNT Arcus Foundation $3 Million CONTRIBUTED associated with the gay Human Rights Campaign rights lobby in 2011 Gay & Lesbian Victory Fund Service Members Legal Defense Network TOP 4 CONTRIBUTORS Hudson River Ventures Gill Foundation LA Gay & Lesbian Center Log Cabin Republicans
11. OBAMA MONEY ROMNEY Campaign Contributions by SOURCE Mitt Romney $250 Same-Sex Interest GroupsBarack Obama $41,740 The National Rifle Association, whose leadersRetiree organizations have donated nearly are in unanimous opposition NRA$20 million to Romney’s campaign, making to same-sex marriage, have LEADERSHIPthem the largest overall donors. Opposition contributed nearlyto same-sex marriage is also more prevalentamongst the elderly and retired. $1.4 million SOURCE to Romney’s campaign.The Family Research Council, which is an anti-LGBT hate group as designated by theSouthern Poverty Law Center, has endorsedMitt Romney. Though the organization hasn’tmade official donations to Romney’scampaign, individual members have
12. OBAMA PARTY PLATFORM ROMNEYFreedom to Marry. We support the A Sacred Contract: Defense ofright of all families to have equal Marriagerespect, responsibilities, and That is why Congressional Republicansprotections under the law. We support took the lead in enacting the Defensemarriage equality and support the of Marriage Act, affirming the right ofmovement to secure equal treatment States and the federal governmentunder law for same-sex couples. We not to recognize same-sexalso support the freedom of churches relationships licensed in otherand religious entities to decide how to jurisdictions.administer marriage as a religioussacrament without governmentinterference. PLATFORM PLATFORM
13. OBAMA EVOLUTION ROMNEY “I favor legalizing same-sex marriages, and would fight efforts to prohibit such marriages.” MORE -Barack Obama to Outlines, 1996 “I believe marriage is between a man and aVIDEO woman. I am not in favor of gay marriage.” -Barack Obama to MTV, Nov. 2008 “My feelings about this are constantly evolving. I struggle with this. At this point, what I’ve said is, is that my baseline is a strong civil union that provides them the protections and VIDEO the legal rights that married couples have,” -President Barack Obama to ABC’s Jack Tapper in Dec. 2010 “it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same-sex couples should be able to VIDEO get married.” -President Barack Obama to ABC’s Robin Roberts on May 9th 2012
14. OBAMA EVOLUTION ROMNEY Romney writes a letter to the Log CabinFULL TEXT Republicans expressing his support for same-sex rights during his 1994 run for senate A Massachusetts court legalizes same-sex MORE marriage during Romney’s term as governor. Nov. 18, 2003 “I don’t want civil unions or gay marriage.” VIDEO Mitt Romney to MSNBC’s Chris Matthews in 2008 “I’ve always opposed gay marriage. I believe that we should provide equal rights to people regardless of their sexual orientation but I do not believe that marriage should be FULL TEXT between two people of the same gender.” Mitt Romney at the FOX/WSJ debate Jan. 16, 2012