Imagine Your AudienceHow We Began/Who Influenced Us/FoundersObstacles Faced and Problems SolvedOn-going Benefits GivenExamples—specific peopleValues in ActionBefore we came on the scene/After we did our thingAccomplishments, Victories, Feeling good!
Mission statementsGood IntentionsJargon & GibberishBackground informationGeneralities
Where did that communications plan go? Tell the story about the communications strategy planning workshopAs Demetrio says:Focus on your goals.Have a communications plan that supports your goals.Be clear and consistent with your message and brand.Identify your audiences on the ground and online.Identify the tools and resources you will need.Measure your impact.
1. How to really get heard<br />Gordon Mayer<br />
2. What would you tell President Obama about your work if you crossed paths jogging?<br />
3. CMWho?<br />
4. Why we communicate<br />Turnout Attendance at an event<br />AwarenessUsually traces back to money<br />AdvocacyBest to engage audience<br />
7. ‘Facts <br />Are <br />Meaningless’<br />
8. Telling stories<br />Storyteller FigureJalisco, Mexico, AD 100/800 Art Institute Chicago<br />
9. Crafting an elevator speechWho we are, in less than 2 minutes<br />Hi! My name is _____ and I work with… <br />You know how… (problem)<br />Well, what I do is…(feature)<br />So that …(benefit)<br />We’re kind of like …(metaphor)<br />Feature: the physical traits or description of what you do<br />Benefit: a feature translated into a member’s satisfaction. What do the members get because of what you do?<br />Metaphor: a comparison that can be funny or startling; goal is to make your work familiar.<br />
10. Not these<br />“mission statement” by Ecastro, from flickr<br />
11. Like what?<br />Identifying a Problem<br />Finding a Solution<br />Creating a Conflict<br />Making a Fresh Start<br />Doing Something New<br />Doing Something Unusual<br />
12. 6 types of media stories<br />Oh No!...disaster, tragedy, bad news<br />Yes!...victory, agreement, improvement<br />Wow!...extreme, unique event<br />Hmmm!...thought-provoking, stimulating<br />Rituals...opening days, funerals, birthdays<br />News You Can Use...helpful information<br />
13. Where did that plan go?<br />
14. What Are Our Messages?<br />
15. Thank you!<br />Get found online!<br />Add your group to our directory at www.communitymediaworkshop.org<br />And fan us on Facebook! <br />www.facebook.com/ communitymediaworkshop<br />