Good morning everyone. Today I’ll like to take the next half a hour talking about Driving performance from video search and mobile search. Specifically looking at paid search.First, for those of you who we havent met, a bit background on myself and Net Media Planet.I’m founder and Managing Director at Net Media Planet
About NMP, 3-4 things I want to share with youAll about improving client results – that’s what get’s us up in the morning – and it shows we’ve won some important awardsWe are specialists (know it inside out and back to front) and hopefully get a sense of that from this pptWe do it everywhere – geo – uk, internationally (59 countries, 31 languages); platforms – ppc, perf display, facebook ads, linkedin ads, retargeting, multichannel attribClients tell us that it’s our people that are the differentiator – our people use our fantastic tech platform, our people identify business relevant insights, our people provide client ideas
Strategic and tacticalCould range from opportunities like twitter ad platformfoursquare as a marketing channel
SituationLast year saw an explosion of video content on YouTube. 48hrs of video uploaded every minute this year. In 2009 was 24hrs = 100% up.ComplicationIt was also the year when Google display network advertising on YouTube would allow targeting down to individual video content – rather than channel wide as it used to be.QuestionWe wondered if we could leverage these 2 changes to drive results for our clientsAnswerWe managed to do that and won 2 awards this year for it including the Econsultancy Innovation in Paid Search 2011 awardI’d like to share our approach.
First of all for those of you who havent seen it, this is a video overlay advert on YouTube
They can also be:Acquisition of new customersIncrease no. of sales/trafficIncrease AOV by cross sell/upsellReduce admin cost of handling through web sales
Display great for branding, we wanted sales so we focussed our energy on the desire and action stages of the buying cycle.To do that we needed to bring the relevancy of search to displayGoing to talk through 4 steps we took to do that
Find the connection between the customer and the productBe ultra niche on the product – not necessarily selling every prod the merchant hasUnderstand who the customer is in terms of demo age, gender and also psycho – Interests, Activities, and OpinionsEgTPS – celebrity perfumesDemo/psycho16-35FemaleLoves celebrity gossipLoves that celebrityBuys for themselves
Find videos to target by category, channel and unique video that fit the customer profile (demo and psycho)So there’s some real intelligence in bringing together the target customer and product in a meaningful way
Separate campaigns for different target demos – use tech to drive scale
Good ctr is 0.15-0.25%
When rihanna released only girl in sep10, we knew there would be lots of traffic on youtube
If you can target video content that is in eg for a retail client, we targeted Rihanna videos as it fit the customer demo and psychographics. Lots of traffic and so lots of sales.
YouTube is a core part of G TV. Lots of hype in 2010 and gone very quiet now. A bit of a flop so far because no terrestrial channel access.That said, one day as tv becomes more digitised, on youtube or other platforms optimising search for this channel is going to be really important and will definitely lead to sales. So well worth being ahead on it.
How many people using mobile paid search?Google says over 10% of its search traffic globally is mobile now. Much of that is for local information – pizzas...Much of mobile traffic in search is for local information not to purchase online.how can we maximise mobile for revenue transaction generation beyond local? / what we would like to do is actually maximise mobile for revenue and transactions online. I think 2 factors will influence this.Uptake of mobile search, research and buying by consumers - I think this is happening and I want to share some insights and ways to grow salesSimplicity of mobile commerceWhat to share what we are seeing and how we can apply it to your aff campaigns
This chart shows how sales for our retail clients have grown from 08 to 10. 170% so far and does show some signs of an exponential growth curve.So clearly besides the obvious, data shows that uptake of mobile search is on the up for transactions not just local search.
Mobile are 7% of desktopTablet are 5.5% of desktop
Mobile 57% less than desktopTablet 28% less than desktop
Meaning of chart:Eg Looking at desktop, it plots % of sales achieved in that hour out of the total 24hrsMobile and Tablet follow a similar trajectory / trendMobile and Tablet are being used earlier in the day for purchasing than DesktopMobile and Tablet most important for sales at the end of the day late night 22-24 (than any other time of the day)(don’t say) So :Also worth having separate campaigns for mobile and tablet and desktopFind out when it is most important for mobile and tablet and optimise for that
NFC comms basedMakes mobile commerce easier. If it is easier, then more mobile search, more affiliate opportunity.Google spearheading this and Paypal very unhappy as they think their IP was stolen.Be able to bridge mobile activity to a sale in store:- Search for a product. Click ppc ad. Download an offer/incentive to your google wallet (open source platform). Go instore and purchase, this will all feed back to your reporting system (because sale registers in google wallet and then logs back into your reporting system or google analytics).
Google Offers (like Groupon) will help bridge desktop activity to offline activity. Probably in your adwords/analytics dashboard:Search for an offer in search (may see the google offer ppc ad capability – might become an important element of ppc) or in Google offers. Save to Google Wallet. Go instore and redeem offer. This will appear in adwords/analytics.
Click path analysis (ppc alone, then across online, then across offline/online)
1. Driving performance from video search and mobile search<br />Sri Sharma, Managing Director<br />July 2011<br />
2. Net Media Planet<br />The PPC People<br />Award-winning paid search agency helping ambitious clients maximise the potential of their online marketing<br />
3. A sample of our clients<br />We have a wide portfolio of clients ranging across multiple industries <br />
4. Exciting times<br />1.<br />New opportunities in online appearing daily<br />Impossible to exploit each of these equally well<br />Need to focus on areas offering maximum<br />return<br />Our experience suggests two important areas:<br />Video Search and Mobile Search<br />2.<br />3.<br />4.<br />
5. Driving performance from YouTube<br />
7. Objectives<br />The Perfume Shop:<br />Explore a new channel for reaching customers<br />Raise the brand’s profile<br />Drive a positive ROI<br />
13. Test<br /> Text ads vs Image ads<br /> Keep ads fresh<br />
14. Take advantage of SOCIAL BUZZ<br />
16. “Net Media Planet stand out from the crowd. They understand our business, integrate cross channel and produce exceptional PPC results.”<br />Results for the client: The Perfume Shop<br />
17. Test YouTube for direct response and brand awareness<br />Find a fit between the customer and the product<br />Target on a granular level - be hyper relevant<br />Use Image ads over Text ads<br />Take advantage of social media buzz<br />Google TV?<br />Consider ...<br />
19. Drive Revenue <br />from mobile<br />
20. 170% growth in revenue from mobile paid search marketing<br />Source: Net Media Planet (Retail)<br />
21. Mobile & tablet impressions are growing<br />Impressions by device <br />Source: Net Media Planet (Retail)<br />
22. Mobile & Tablet still have cheaper traffic than desktop<br />CPC by device<br />Source: Net Media Planet (Retail)<br />
23. Target Tablets for higher AOV<br />AOV by Device<br />Source: Net Media Planet (Retail)<br />
24. Optimise your PPC by time of day<br />% Sales by Time of Day: Desktop vs Mobile vs Tablet<br />Indexed 100%<br />Source: Net Media Planet (Retail)<br />
25. Simplicity of m-commerce<br />Click to Call<br />
26. Simplicity of m-commerce<br />NFC bridges online/offline<br />
28. Target devices to improve ROI<br />Tablet users are affluent - target them <br />Maximise sales through time of day optimisation<br />Leverage Click to Call<br />PPC online to offline activity - Google Wallet<br />Consider ...<br />
29. Top 3 Takeaways . . .<br />Understand your target customer segments<br />Use hyper targeted PPC for incremental sales e.g. on YouTube<br />Analyse your mobile sales to grow performance<br />
30. Thank you<br />Do you have any questions?<br />Contact:<br />email@example.com<br />0203 008 8321<br />Twitter: <br />@netmediaplanet @srisharma<br />Blog:<br />netmediaplanet.com/blog<br />