Empathy Lab believes that intuitive and engaging interfaces are designed with an in-depth understanding of your end-users' needs, behaviors, and motivations. Here is an overview of our behavioral
Empathy Lab believes that intuitive and engaging interfaces are designed with an in-depth understanding of your end-users' needs, behaviors, and motivations. Here is an overview of our behavioral research philosophy and methodology.
2. Topics I. Behavior II. Context Understanding Human Behavior III. Intent IV. Motivation` Design Research Methods & Applications V. Research VI. Analysis
3. I. Behavior “Human-centered approaches to industrial and interaction design have long focused on studying human behavior to create informed and appropriate designs.” Gentry Underwood “Social Software: The other ‘Design for Social Impact’”
4. Design needs to support human behavior
5. Technology needs to support Design
6. Intuitive design anticipates end-user behavior “We need to observe behavior in order to support it in design”– Joshua Porter “Behavior First, Design Second”
7. II. Context
8. Behavior is influenced by environment
9. Humans do not live or work in a lab• The lab is not a great place to study human behavior – Labs are unfamiliar environments – Lab machines have unfamiliar configurations Don’t study their behavior in one
10. III. Intent
11. Humans use apps to complete tasksEnd-users engage with applicationsto complete tasksIf tasks are easy to perform, theapplication interface is intuitive Good app design facilitates task completion
12. IV. Motivation
13. Emotions motivate actionsSuccessful Design creates emotional bonds. It isn’t just “fluff.” “The essential difference between reason and emotion is that reason leads to conclusions while emotion leads to actions.” Neurologist Donald Calne
14. Here’s how it works…
15. V. Research CONTEXT Design Research BehaviorCONTEXT Tasks (intent) Motivation CONTEXT
16. When do we conduct Research? 1 2 3Discovery Design ValidationStrategy & Benchmarking Information Architecture Measurement & Optimization Stakeholder Interviews Taxonomy & Information Architecture Usability Testing Competitive Analysis Usage Scenarios & Task Flows Analytics & KPI Analytics & KPI Wireframe PrototypesResearch & Analysis Visual Design Qualitative Contextual Inquiry Persona & Mental Models PSDs/comps Design Validation Quantitative Survey Study Development & Testing Heuristic Evaluation HTML/CSS/etc. and QA Testing Design Research
17. How do we conduct Research?
18. Planning for Research 1. Identify research Assess gaps in knowledge objectives 2. Recruit Develop/deploy screener study participants 3. Develop Non-leading, open-ended a line of questions to prompt users questioning to perform key tasks
19. Recruiting for Research• Recruit “real” end-users• Avoid “professional test takers”• Recruit on widely adopted platforms
20. Contextual Inquiry – Empathy Lab’s Research Practice • Maximize the time with end-users to inform the content, brand, information architecture, and design strategy. • Empathy Lab conducts contextual interviews with end-users where they live, work, play, and, most importantly, where they are likely to interact with our clients’ brands. • Conduct research with end users using a portable usability lab and user-driven scenarios. • Empathy Lab believes that the goal of any usability test is to measure how a participant would behave in a real-world environment, as opposed to an artificial lab setting. • Use realistic prototypes in usability tests. • Empathy Lab believes that having end-users interact with realistic design prototypes produces the most reliable and valid usability results. Although useful and practical in some cases, low-fidelity prototypes cannot ultimately ensure valid results and experience.
21. VI. Analysis Identify Develop Design Taxonomy Behavioral Behavioral & Information Trends Personas Architecture • Cut across all • Document behavioral • Develop application personas differences in the form taxonomy to satisfy • Have major of personas mental models implications on • Aggregate key tasks • Identify existing overarching as mental model content that fulfills key architecture tasks, note gaps in content
22. VI. Analysis Task Task Content Content Content MENTAL INFORMATION INTERACTIONPERSONAS MODELS ARCHITECTURE DESIGN
23. Empathy Lab is a digitalstrategy and execution firm that designs intuitive and engaging user interfaces.
24. Jonathan Lupo SVP / Experience Design & Co-Founder Provides clients with Creative and User Experience strategy by gaining an in-depth understanding of their business and end-user needs.@userexperience SERVICES EXPERIENCE • Behavioral Research • Empathy Lab • Information Architecture • R/GA • Interaction Design • Agency.com (NYC) • Creative Direction • Euro RSCG • Digital Strategy • Masters Degree (ITP – NYU)