Transcript of "A high traffic eCommerce showcase portal for Google’s Great Online Shopping Festival (GOSF – 2012)"
A High Traffic E-Commerce Showcase Portal
for Google’s Great Online Shopping Festival
(GOSF – 2012)
Video Streaming Portals
Rich Internet Apps
Windows Phone 7
AWS Consulting Partner
Google App Engine
Key Company Highlights
250+ team with
experience in managing
established in Jan ’05
User Interface Design and User Experience Design
VC Funding in 2009 By
Performance Consulting Practices
Part of Publicis Groupe
Quality Assurance & Testing
Outsourced Product Development
Member of NASSCOM.
in Bangalore and Pune.
High traffic e-Commerce showcase portal for a Mega Sale Event
• Neev provided an unconventional solution for Google India by
creating a unique zero server architecture, that was capable of
handling high traffic, was responsive and quick to load at the same
• Great Online Shopping Festival (GOSF) was a unique event launched
by Google India.
• A mega online sale event, the first of its kind in India, held on 12
Dec 2012 or 12.12.12, with a traffic expectation of over 15 million
on a single day.
• Google India was looking at launching an exclusive 24 hour online shopping
festival wherein over 90 eCommerce ventures would offer various deals to
• With a traffic expectation of over 15 million on a single day, the website
was required to handle unprecedented loads without any downtime.
• The technology team at Neev created a unique Zero Server architecture. The underlying
concept being that if there are no servers, there is no question of them failing.
• The thought of by-passing the database and the Web servers was a radical move. The
entire site was replicated across CDN servers, which meant that in the event of a server
crash or the AZ going down, the site would continue to be live.
• All the processing was moved from the server side to the browsers. Basically each browser
became a server in itself.
• It not only enabled the sites to be responsive but also fast-loading, irrespective of the
number of concurrent users on the site.
• Deployment was not an afterthought of development. Architectural inputs were thought
of from the design stage to make sure user experience and technology worked hand-inhand.
• The application was built in a way that on visiting the site for the first time, data was
cached on the user’s browser and the rest of the site would run in an ‘offline’ mode,
making the architecture fully scalable. This way it did not have a dependency on the web
server for processing each incoming requests.
Neev Solution (Contd…)
• Invalidations and cache clears were built-in so that every time the data on the
data on the server changed, the application would automatically download
the last updated files.
• Since most of the application was executed from the client browsers, the
page load times were nearly instantaneous. The first time loads were less
than 4 seconds and the subsequent loads lesser.
• High performance was also ensured by aiming for a Grade A on YSlow from
• The Zero Server Architecture led to significant savings in hosting charges. Cost
effective CDN from Amazon ensured that the cloud bills were low.
• It did away with the need of a database server and a web server, thereby
significantly reducing the support cost and maintenance costs for monitoring
the servers and backing up the data.
• Zero server architecture.
• Instantaneous page loads.
• Data cached to user’s browser and the site could run in ‘offline’
• All the files and data related to the portal were replicated across
multiple zones in the CDN and there was no single point of failure.
• Data storage in JSON format
• AWS Services used:
• A Hard Timeline: 12.12.12 was a unique date with a similar next date
occurring only after 99 years. So the project could not have elastic timelines
and a firm adherence to the pre-defined delivery schedule was necessary.
• Very High Traffic: With a traffic expectation of over 15 million in a single day,
the website was designed to handle unprecedented loads.
• Downtime can be expensive: With more than 100 online stores showcasing
products and giving discounts, sales happened all day.
• Even one second of downtime was a direct loss of business.
Neev Information Technologies Pvt. Ltd.
India - Bangalore India - Pune
The Estate, # 121,6th Floor,
#13 L’Square, 3rd Floor
Parihar Chowk, Aundh,
Pune – 411007.
Phone :+91 80 25594416
Phone : +91-64103338
For more info on our offerings, visit www.neevtech.com