The original Learning 2.0 program was designed by Helene Blowers, PLCMC Technology Director, with the support and assistance of several staff and is loosely based upon Stephen Abram’s article, 43 Things I (or You) might want to do this year (Information Outlook – Feb 2006) and the website 43Things.
http://www.nlc.state.ne.us/netserv/learning2.0/February 11 - April 13, 20089 weeksParticipation voluntary – they were our guinea pigs. There were49 NLC staff25 started – 50% of staff9 completed – 36% of the 25 who startedSelf-reported, but checked by us.Every NLC staff member who completed all 23 things was entered into a drawing for three donated MP3 players Director of NLC purchased with his own $. April 15 - Library Worker Appreciation Day Finale – Party and drawing of prizes
Went statewide that Fall. Open to all Nebraska library staff, board members. October 6, 2008 - January 26, 2009Business cards handed out at NLA, etc.:23 Things - 16 Weeks15 CE Credits - 9 MP3 Playershttp://l2ne.blogspot.com/2008/09/home.htmlHad to complete ALL Things to earn 15 CE and chance to win prize.Nine 8GB Creative Zen MP3 Players – Prize $ to purchase MP3 players donated by ITART, NEMA and NLAblogs created by participants: 165blog posts by participants: 2383 (2406)comments left on the NEL2 blog: 2257e-mails sent amongst 4 NLC staff running the program: 345Participants who finished: 83 – 50% - High complete rate due to CE creditNCompass Live – February 11, 2009 – “Nebraska Learns 2.0 Wrap-up” – prizes drawn
Current ongoing program - http://nelearns.blogspot.com/2009/03/home.htmlAnnounced in April 2009. First Thing in May. March 2011– Thing #46!At the start (April-May)47 people set up blogs, told us they were going to do it18 from first program29 new people.As of June 2009 – 16 of those new 29 had completed new prerequisite.1 CE for each Thing completed. Do whichever ones they want, jump in and out as they like. If you aren’t interested or don’t have time for a thing during its month, skip it and see what we’re doing next month.
January 2012 - moved this blog in-house and onto the Commission's WordPress installation. The URL for this program going forward is http://nlcblogs.nebraska.gov/nelearns. For continuity's sake, all of the content and comments from this blog has been copied over to the new site but this version will continue to live here as is, so as to continue to support any links from other sites that have been created.
February 2012, a BookThing was added to the program.
3. 7 ½ Habits of Highly Successful Lifelong Learners• Habit 1: Begin with the end in mind• Habit 2: Accept responsibility for your own learning• Habit 3: View problems as challenges• Habit 4: Have confidence in yourself as a competent, effective learner• Habit 5: Create your own learning toolbox• Habit 6: Use technology to your advantage• Habit 7: Teach/mentor others• Habit 7 ½: Play!
5. Nebraska Learns 2.0 Thru March 2010504540353025 Things Completed2015 Blogs Started1050 #24 #25 #26 #27 #28 #29 #30 #31 #32 #33 #34 May June July Aug Sept Oct Nov Dec Jan Feb March 2009 2009 2009 2009 2009 2009 2009 2009 2010 2010 2010
6. DON’T DROP THE BALL! http://www.flickr.com/photos/helico/404640681/
7. Promote and Support!• Blog• Twitter• Facebook• Mailing lists• Do each others’ Things
8. Nebraska Learns 2.0 April 2010 – August 20129876543210 Things Completed Blogs Started
10. 23 Things Programs• Public Library of Charlotte & Mecklenburg County (Charlotte Mecklenburg Library) – Charlotte, NC http://plcmclearning.blogspot.com/ http://explorediscoverplay.blogspot.com/• 23 Things for Professional Development – Cambridge, UK http://cpd23.blogspot.com/• Learning for Life Online – Boston Public Library http://blog.bpl.org/lifeonline/
11. Research• Helene Blowers’ Learning 2.0: 23 Things Survey http://www.heleneblowers.info/2009/07/learning-20-23- things-survey.html• The Impact and Effect of Learning 2.0 Programs in Australian Public Libraries http://tametheweb.com/2012/03/18/new-research- article-the-impact-and-effect-of-learning-2-0-programs- in-australian-public-libraries/ http://www.library20.com/forum/topics/23-things-as- transformative-learning-promoting-confidence• Dr. Michael Stephens Awarded Grant to Explore Efficacy of Learning 2.0 Program http://tametheweb.com/2011/12/17/stephens-awarded- grant/