A Possible Path for Today
• What is There to Know About YouTube? – From YouTube, Educause, examples. • How can I use YouTube? – Find, Upload, Classroom, Blackboard • Are there any alternatives for YouTube? – TeacherTube, GodTube, etc. • Sample YouTube Content
What Is YouTube? • A
“destination to watch and share original videos worldwide through a Web experience.” • “YouTube is empowering *people+ to become the broadcasters of tomorrow.” • Founded February 2005, Funded November 2005, Opened December 2005. – Purchased by Google November 2006 Source: http://www.youtube.com/t/about
7 Things You Should Know…
• What is It? – Video-sharing service, a social application (i.e. “Web 2.0”), ties into blogging. • Who is doing It? – Who is *NOT* doing It? • How does It work? – Free, uploading requires account creation. – Viewing only requires the free Adobe Flash player • Installed for your choice of web browser
More 7 things… • Why
it is Significant? – Free, easy, interactive community • What are the Downsides? – Questions of Copyright – Location of content linked for Higher Ed purposes • If YouTube closed tomorrow (Sept ‘06)… • Or if YouTube changes how it functions, it breaks – Issues of privacy, use, and trust • Like any other social software (e.g. Facebook) • If this was you, would you want a world-wide audience?
Last of the 7 •
Where is It going? – Media companies; beat ‘em or join ‘em? – “YouTube has the potential to provide distribution for content that is displayed elsewhere, such as e- learning tools.” • What are the Implications for Teaching & Learning? – “Many educators believe that the act of creating content … is a valuable learning exercise, helping develop a deeper understanding of the subject matter”
Be Sure to Read this
Yourself! • From the Educause Learning Initiative – 7 Things You Should Know About series • http://www.educause.edu/7ThingsYouShouldKnowAboutSeries/7495 • YouTube, September 2006: – http://connect.educause.edu/Library/ELI/7ThingsYouShouldKnowAbout/39395 • Adobe PDF = http://www.educause.edu/ir/library/pdf/ELI7018.pdf (Or, just search the Educause site for YouTube)
How Can I Use YouTube?
• Find Existing Content – Search for ??? • Upload Your Own Content (copyright) – limited to 10 minutes and 100 MB – formats such as .WMV, .AVI, .MOV, and .MPG • Classroom Playback of Content – Download Before Playing, Real 11, Preview Before • Blackboard to Organize Content – Link or Embed? example
Copyright @ YouTube • “Do
YouTube Alternatives? • Google Video
(exists post YouTube purchase) – http://video.google.com/ • Douglas Adams, Hyperland (link) • TeacherTube – http://www.teachertube.com/ • http://www.teachertube.com/view_video.php?viewkey=d9fe611d5a8e90fefdc9 • GodTube – http://www.godtube.com/ • http://www.godtube.com/view_video.php?viewkey=a3d6ed8cf976dabb8270 – Notice the “fair use” disclaimer • Big Think – http://www.bigthink.com/ • http://www.bigthink.com/features/136
Questions? • If you have
other questions or comments later, please let me know: – Neal Cross – firstname.lastname@example.org – Ext. 2055 • For Followup:
Resources • Articles: – http://chronicle.com/wiredcampus/index.php?id=2659
– http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/01/09/tech/main3693821.shtml – http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2008/01/08/al-bundy-youtube-star.aspx – http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5h9loZJ8bI1aepugPI869Okjc76oQ – http://svconline.com/education/features/pitzer_college_youtube_0116/ • Food for Thought Videos – The Machine is Us/ing Us • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLlGopyXT_g – Introducing the Book • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFAWR6hzZek – How NOT to use PowerPoint • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLpjrHzgSRM – Totally Like Whatever • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv0aDhqxiHg
Resources – More Food for
Thought • Cisco Telepresence – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X28-XVxYeAc • CBS In God’s Name promotional – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vv9Pkoev-KQ • A Vision of Students Today – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGCJ46vyR9o • The E-Class Video – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UftcYGfUsZM
Resources – Even More Food
… • YouTube and Blackboard – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuFj4-zkqGI • Remote Response Systems (i.e., clickers) – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaQRHzB-Qwc • See also http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2G0WzfitDBA • The Famous “Did You Know” video – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHWTLA8WecI • http://thefischbowl.blogspot.com/2006/08/did-you-know.html
Resources • BestofYouTube – http://bestofyoutube.com/
• A Reader’s Digest of all the content in YouTube. • Adobe Flash Player – http://www.adobe.com/go/BONRN – Or just the Adobe site, look for the Flash Player icon • Vlogbrothers – http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=vlogbrothers – Hank and John Green, Brothers for over 27 years, have stopped communicating...except through video blog. For more information about our project, visit http://www.brotherhood2.com . To join the Nerdfighter community, head straight for the forum, My Pants: http://www.brotherhood2.com/my pants/
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.