Target Audience - Analysis I have created a questionnaire to analyse my target audience. I posted the URL link to the questionnaire on Facebook and Twitter then waited for 15 people to complete the form. Then collected the data from the anonymous respondents and created graphs which I was able to use to analyse the information. I will then use this to help me design my magazine.
1. Do you buy music magazines ?From this question I can see that over half the people I have askeddon’t read music magazines, this makes me think why? It mightbe that nowadays people would rather go online and receive thesame information which you could find in a magazine on theinternet. So I will need to design a magazine which appeals topeople and will make them want to buy a copy of the magazine. Iplan to make my magazine unique and stand out from othermagazines. I will also need to offer something which you currentlycan not get anywhere else on the market. This would give mymagazine a unique selling point. Options Responses Yes 7 No 8
2. How old are you?This question is going to help me design a magazine which willappeal to the largest audience who wants them. From myresearch I found that the largest group of people who buy musicmagazines are people aged between 16 – 20. This shows thatwhen I come to design my magazine I will need to make sure thatI design it with this target audience in mind as they are the typeof people who will be buying the magazine. But I also want it toappeal to other age groups as well. So when designing themagazine I want to keep it sophisticated but Options Responsesstylish so it appeals to a wider target audience. 0 - 15 2 16 – 20 12 21 – 25 0 26 – 30 0 30 + 1
3. Do you prefer to read articles or look at picture?
3. Do you prefer to read articles or look at picturesWhen analysing the data in this question, I was able to see thatthe target group would rather see pictures in the magazine thanread articles. So when I design my magazine I will need to makesure that I include a lot of photos or make photos the main focusof the magazine. I want to include different styles of photo whichI have gathered inspiration from Q magazine and Mixmag as theyboth have very distinctive styles. Q magazine has a moresophisticated style of photos which might appeal to an older agegroup (20+). Where as Mixmag has more abstract style of photowhich I think would be better suited to the younger audience. Sowhen designing my magazine I want to try and incorporate bothstyles of photos. Options Responses Articles 2 Pictures 12
4. How much would you pay for a magazineWhen receiving this data from the question I cans see that themajority of people want to pay around £1.00 - £2.00 for amagazine. I can see where they are coming from as modern musicmagazines can be over priced. For example you have to pay £3.99for Q magazine and you don’t really receive any free goodies likeyou do with mixmag. That magazine is even more expensive at£4.50 but you do get a free copy of Boys Noize new CD which isworth the money you spend on the magazine. So when I designmine I will have to make sure it’s worth the amount of moneythey have to pay and offer free goodies like posters and CD’s.This would attract the target audience and Options Responsesmake them want to buy a copy of the £1.00 - £2.00 9magazine. £3.00 - £4.00 5 £4.00 - £5.00 0 £6.00 + 1
5. What type of music do you listen to?This data lets me know what types of music the people who filledout my questionnaire are listening to. I can see that they arelistening to a wider range of music and not just following what isin the charts. This is interesting and I think that my magazineshould follow this trend and make it appealingto a wide range of people. That must mean Options Responsesthat I design my magazine to focus on more Pop 5than one style of music. This will open the Indie 4target audience of my magazine and would Rock 3therefore sell more copies as it wouldn’t just R+B 2provide the audience with one style of music,but would appeal to various different Urban 1audiences. So I think that I will focus on Pop Classic 0and indie music as that is what the majority of Dubstep 0people who filled in my questionnaire are Punk 0listening to.
6. Would you buy a music magazine if the cover appealed to your age group.This showed me that the people who filled in the questionnairewant the cover of the magazine to appeal to their age group. Thiswould mean that I should target the cover of the magazine at acertain age group. This would make sense as then I wouldn’t haveto confuse the design by adding aspects for all different agegroups. I can keep my design simple and at one specific age groupby using language layout and style to fit the target audience. I willhave to think about what that age group wants and try and designa magazine which reflects this. Options Responses Yes 13 No 2
7. What type of colour scheme would you like to see in the magazine.The majority of people who answered my questionnaire wantedto see a bright colour scheme used in my music magazine. Butsome people said they wanted to see a duller colour schemeused. So when creating my magazine I think I would like to use abright colour scheme for the majority of the magazine but wouldalso like to feature some dull/black and white pages or images. Ithink that this would look quite effective as I have seen this donein Q magazine in the past and this has looked good and gave anice contrast against the colourful pictures used in the magazine.They have also done this by having a doublepage spread in black and white but the rest Options Responsesof the magazine would be in colour. This Black + White 3makes the double page stand out as it is so Bright 8different to the rest in the magazine. Dull 3 One Main 1
8. How often do you buy music magazinesI can see from this data that the majority of people buy magazinesin a routine, so every week / month. But the rest only buy them ifthey need them. So I will need my magazine to feature somethingunique which will get the target audience buying my magazineeach time a new issue comes out. I think that I will create mymagazine so that a new issue would come out every month as alot happens to the music industry every month and I think that Iwould need to keep the readers of my magazine informed of thechanges to the genre of music they want to know about.This will be beneficial as well as it means that Options Responsesthe magazine will have 12 main features a Everyday 0year so I can feature 12 artists which the Once a week 4readers might want to collect. Once a month 4 Now +Again 5 Never 2
9. Do you go to music festivals or gig’sThis question was aimed to help me decide what sort of articlesthey would want to see in the magazine. As music festivals andgig’s make up such a big part of the magazine I should have afeature on them. I wanted to see whether people wanted to seethe articles on music festivals or gigs or whether people still wentto them at all. The data came back to tell me that the majority ofpeople go to music festivals. So when designing my magazine Ithink that I should feature this on the cover page or contents pageof the magazine to get people interested in the magazine. I couldrun a contest on this each month to win tickets to festivals orcould do reviews of these throughout the year.I think that this could be an interesting angle Options Responsesto my magazine and give it a unique edge on Music Festivals 7the market. Gig’s 5 Neither 3
10. Do you buy or download music?This question can help me understand what people’s music habitsare in modern times, as I want to offer a free music option on mymagazine like many current magazines do. For example in theFebruary issue of Mixmag it offers a free CD of Boys Noize but asyou can see many people don’t buy music in the form of CD’s inthese modern times. As it’s easier to just download the tracksstraight onto your phone or music player. So I think that I shouldoffer a free music download instead of a free CD. I think this willappeal to the target audience and would be a good idea as it iscurrent to the target audience and their age group (15 – 20). Ithink that a download is also better because it will keep the costof the magazine down as you wont have to payfor the physical copy of the CD and sleeve. Options Responses Buy 3 Download 12
11. How much money do you spend on music a month?
11. How much money do you spend on music a month?I wanted to ask this question as I was interested to find out howmuch people were spending on music a month. From this I wasable to see that the majority of people were only buying £1.00 -£5.00 of music products which was a bit disappointing because ifthey don’t spend a lot of money on music would they spend it ona magazine instead? But there was still a few people who spend alarge amount of money on music. 5 people who answered myquestionnaire still spend above £15.00 on Options Responsesmusic each month. So it shows me thatthe Group of people who buy music £1.00 - £5.00 8related products have shrunk but still out £6.00 - £10.00 2there. Which means that my magazine £11.00 - £15.00 0needs to offer something which no other £16.00 - £20.00 3magazine has. A unique selling point. £21.00 - £25.00 1 £25.00 + 1
12. Would you prefer the main focus to be on one artist or multiple artists?
12. Would you prefer the main focus to be on one artist or multiple artists.From the data I have received regarding this question I can seethat people want the focus to be on more than one artist. I thinkthat this is a positive thing as it means that there would bemultiple artists who have the main feature and not just one. Sowhen designing the cover page and contents page I would have toshow this. I suppose I could do this by having more than onephoto on the cover or have multiple artists highlighted on theheadlines. So I think this would be the better option as it doesntmake the cover look too cluttered and would also widen thetarget market of my magazine. I think that this could be a goodlook and would be a good feature as the magazine could have amore unique point as magazines like mixmag only feature oneartist on the cover. Options Responses One Artist 5 Multiple Artists 10
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.