1. Looking at Academic Benefit and Technology PlanningNancy Caramanico, Technology and Education Specialist
2.  Where are you calling in from today?
3.  Welcome Research and Educational Technology Trends Leadership Looks at the Academic Benefit Windows 8 Features Windows 8 Tablets vs. Ipads Examples of Use in Schools Technology Deployment Planning, Choosing and Peripherals Policies and Ownership Models Assessing Progress for Students, School Next Steps for Your School
6. National Educational Technology Standards for Administrators
7.  Change is a Constant __How can we look out on the ‘Horizon’? __How can we heed the Research? __How does this apply to our Mission, Vision? __How can this information benefit your students, school? __How will you inspire and lead others toward a shared vision to support change?
8.  Mobile Apps - One Year or Less Tablet Computing - One Year or Less Game Based Learning - Two to Three Years Learning Analytics - Two to Three Years Gesture Based Computing – Four to Five Years Internet of Things – Four to Five Years TechConnects Blog – N Caramanico http://ncara.edublogs.org/2012/0 2/09/emerging-technologies-to- watch-2012/
9.  __What instructional innovations are improving learning today? __What supports are in place for all learners? __How can we foster effective practice in our school? __How can we connect to digital learning ideas and collaborate with other schools, educators?
10.  Benefits Complete redesign Innovative in terms of layout Connect to all devices Use the same operating system across devices
11.  Features: Intelbased CPU with always on Technology HDMI port, Memory port Detachable keyboard Three Modes 18 hour battery Wake from sleep 2.5 seconds, connect to cloud and wifi quickly Slim, light .35 inches thin
12.  Ipad vs. Win Tablet  Two Areas Mac vs. PC  Curriculum Reason for Purchasing? Considerations What can be done on  IT Considerations tablet OR Ipad that can’t be done on current computer? Are you BYOD? Student Engagement To College, Work, Life Questions we consider
13. Image Credit
14.  Apps and Ebooks -  Apps and Ebooks - Most Growing number  Many mobile Management solutions management systems for schools, new and established solutions. Manage launches remotely. Server and remote  Server and Apple TV management compatibility Digital Textbooks –  Digital Textbooks – Many Some  Smartboards Smartboards Windows 8 Ipad
15.  Current Choices of Windows 8 Tablets? Attendee choices and reasons for choosing.
17.  Study of Learning Tpack and Ipads http://tips2012.edublogs.org/
18.  Math – Khan Academy English –EssayMaker, Shakespeare Theology/Religion –Bible,Blogger History – World Maps World Languages – Audioboo, Spanish Learning Science – Periodic Table
19.  What do you look for in apps? What functionality? What is most important to you Write it on the whiteboard
21.  Bloom’sTaxonomy Apps, Kathy Schrockhttp://www.schrockguide.net/bloomin- apps.htmlSearch Engine for Appshttps://www.quixey.com/
22. Vocabulary Review
23.  Over 3400 videos Track access Find track and text
24. App  SkypeOnline meetings Lesson Ideas:  Connect with another classroom  Connect with an author  Skype in to professional development
25. Apps  Skitch  Sky Drive Lessons:  Social Studies – Have students collect and edit images for use if a project collage  ILA – Have students create digital stories based on a writing projects  Blurb Website http://www.blurb.com/mobile/home
26. Apps Stanford U Khan Academy (Web and Ipad) Kindle and more  http://www.polleverywhere.com/#video  Flipped Classroom http://www.knewton.com/flipped-classroom/  http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2H4RkudFzlc#!
27.  __What changes to policy do you need? __What changes to classroom procedures will be necessary? __What additional information literacy skills will students require? __ What Online Safety and Digital Citizenship resources can be used to enhance knowledge and practice?
28. • Technology Plan• Make a Difference for Learning• Smart Goals
29.  Beginning to Go Digital Checklist Network Readiness __Are you wireless? __Other network upgrades needed? __What about printing? __Display options?
30.  Beginning to Go Digital __Mission and vision correlations? __Academic correlations? __Standards correlations? Common Core, Other __Buy-in from faculty? __Professional Development Tie ins? __Buy in from School Community, Parents, Stakeholders?
31.  Pilots  __Who will pilot?  __What will they use? Tools? Pedagogy?  __How will you evaluate?  __What worked? Benefits  __What did not? Challenges, Needs  __How will you refine this?  __How will you communicate results of pilot? Plan Next Round of Implementation
32.  How have you piloted Windows Tablets? What successes can you share?
33. ALWAYS UPDATING NEWLY UPDATED, NEED FINE FOR CHANGESNOWNO TOMOBILE POLICYPOLICY
34.  School Owned Sets – Gwynedd School Owned One to One – Roman Catholic BYOD – Bring Your Own Device – New Canaan Student Owned and Purchased – St. Hubert’s Insurance
35.  __What changes to policy do you need? __What changes to classroom procedures will be necessary? __What additional information literacy skills will students require? __ What Online Safety and Digital Citizenship resources can be used to enhance knowledge and practice?
37.  __How can teachers and administrators learn using today’s technologies? __What professional development can be accessed? Both formal and informal? __How can leaders use technology in their professional practice? __What digital communications tools are being effectively used today for staying in touch w/staff, families and the broader school community?
38.  Objectives Activities Assessment What are effective lessons? How can technology be a meaningful component? What features of the tool can help students to demonstrate or enhance understanding? What apps should I look at which will help students to showcase mastery or enhance learning? How can we evaluate and assess progress? http://ncara.edublogs.org/2012/08/13/connected- educators-a-to-z-e-is-for-evaluation/
39.  Content and Components Langwich
40.  How will you proceed? What information do you need to gather?