*On November 10, 1983, Bill Gates started Microsoft with Paul Allen* Microsoft announced Microsoft Windows, an extension of the MS-DOS operating system that would provide a graphical operating environment for PC users.* With Windows, the graphical user interface (GUI) era at Microsoft had begun.
* Microsoft shipped out the first copy of Windows 1.0 on November 20, 1985* This 16-bit OS that cost less than 1MB in overall is Microsoft’s very first operating system that allows multi tasking with graphical user interface on PC platform that runs on MS-DOS 5.0..* Windows 1.0 only required a minimum of 256 kilobytes (KB), two double-sided floppy disk drives, and a graphics adapter card.
* The first version of Microsoft Windows included a simple graphics painting program called Windows Paint; Windows Write, a simple word processor; an appointment "calendar"; a "card-filer"; a "notepad"; a "clock"; a "control panel"; a "computer terminal"; "Clipboard"; and RAM driver* Windows 1.0 was not a complete operating system, but rather an "operating environment" that extended MS-DOS, and shared the latters inherent flaws and problems
*Microsoft Windows version 2 came out on 9 December 1987, and proved slightly more popular than its predecessor* Microsofts new graphical applications, Excel and Word for Windows. They could be run from MS-DOS, executing Windows for the duration of their activity, and closing down Windows upon exit.*Control Panel made its first appearance in Windows 2.0.
* The third major release of the Windows platform from Microsoft offered improved performance, advanced graphics with 16 colors, and full support of the more powerful Intel 386 processor.* Windows 3.0, which offered a wide range of useful features and capabilities, including: Program Manager, File Manager, and Print Manager An improved set of Windows icons. A completely rewritten application development environment
* Windows NT was the first Windows operating system to combine support for high-end, client/server business applications with the industrys leading personal productivity applications.* Windows NT 3.1 was a 32-bit operating system .* New features included a preemptive multitasking scheduler for Windows–based applications, domain server security.* support for multiple processor architectures, and the NTFS file system* Windows NT was originally called “Portable Systems”
* Windows 95 was the successor to the three existing general-purpose desktop operating systems from Microsoft—Windows 3.1, Windows for Workgroups, and MS-DOS* The 32-bit operating system also offered enhanced multimedia capabilities, more powerful features for mobile computing, and integrated networking* Windows 95 featured the first appearance of the Start menu, taskbar, and minimize, maximize, and close buttons on each window* Windows 95, with built-in Internet support and dial-up networking, marked the coming of the Internet Age
* Windows 98 was the upgrade from Windows 95. Described as an operating system that "Works Better, Plays Better," Windows 98 was the first version of Windows designed specifically for consumers.* Other features are replacement of Internet Explorer 4.0 with Internet Explorer 5.0. Also included is Internet Connection Sharing, which allows multiple computers on a LAN to share a single Internet connection through NAT.* Windows 98 was the first Windows system that supported DVD discs and universal serial bus (USB) devices* Windows 98 was the last version based on MS-DOS
*Windows 2000 Professional was also designed to replace Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows NT Workstation 4.0 on all business desktops and laptops.*Among other improvements, Windows 2000 Professional simplified hardware installation by adding support for a wide variety of new Plug and Play hardware, including advanced networking and wireless products, USB devices, IEEE 1394 devices, and infrared devices.
*Designed for home computer users, Windows Me offered consumers numerous music, video, and home networking enhancements and reliability improvements.*Windows Movie Maker provided users with the tools to digitally edit, save, and share home videos. And with Microsoft Windows Media Player 7 technologies, users could find, organize, and play digital media easily.*Windows Me was the last Microsoft operating system to be based on the Windows 95 code base
* Between the original launch of Windows and the release of Windows XP, about one billion PCs were shipped worldwide* Windows XP was compiled from 45 million lines of code* Windows XP is heavily based on the Windows NT and 2000 core* The "XP" in Windows XP stands for "experience," symbolizing the innovative experiences that Windows can offer to personal computer users.* Windows XP introduced several new features to the Windows line, including: * Fast user switching * Remote Desktop Functionality. * Support for most DSL modems as well as networking over FireWire, and Bluetooth
* More than 1.5 million devices were compatible with Windows Vista at launch* Vista had the longest startup/logon music ever.* Seven years in the making, the OS, released on Jan. 30, 2007 to consumers and Nov. 30, 2006 to business users* Windows Vista intended to have enhanced security by introducing a new restricted user mode called User Account Control, replacing the "administrator-by-default" philosophy of Windows XP* Vista also features new graphics features, the Windows Aero GUI , new applications.*a revised and more secure version of Internet Explorer, a new version of Windows Media player, and a large number of underlying architectural changes.
* The next version of Windows is already in beta and is likely to ship in 2009.* Windows 7 is the next major release after Windows Vista and was planned for a three-year development timeframe* Some features of Windows 7 are faster boot-up, Device Stage, Windows PowerShell, improved window management, home group networking, multiple thumbnails for combined taskbar buttons, and better power management for notebooks.* Windows sold 240 million in 2010 which means that Microsoft sold more than 6 lakhs Windows 7 copies per day, 27,397 copies per hour, and 7.6 copies each second* Windows 7 has largest users share among all other OS about 41.35%
* Theoperating system was released to manufacturing on August 1, 2012, and was released for general availability on October 26, 2012* Windows 8 introduces a new touch-friendly shell and user interface based on Microsofts "Metro" design language, featuring a new Start screen with a grid of dynamically updating tiles that represent applications* Windows 8 is available in 109 different languages.* Windows 8 works with files of up to 16 exbibytes , which equates to 687 million Blu-Rays* Estimates suggest roughly 4.5 billion people will use Windows 8 in the future.